Magellan Explorist 500LE waypoint downlads

I'm totally new to this and bought a Magellan Explorist 500 LE. I can't figure out how to down load a geocahce poi into my unit. I downloaded the Easy GPS software and it still doesn't work.

The Magellan Explorist 500 LE comes with an installation CD and a second CD for Mapsend. If you install the installation CD on your PC one of the programs will be Magellan GeoCache Manager. You will need to open this program up, have your Magellan Explorist 500 LE hooked up via the provided USB cable to the PC and set to communicate on USB mode.

1) OK, ready? Log on to Geocache.com and goto a list of geocaches you are intrested in searched on Hide and seek a cache. you see that little check box to the right...check it. OK. Now scroll down the page untill you see the button marked Download Waypoints? Click it.

2) You'll be prompted to find a place to save this file on your P.C. I have created a specific folder for this. When you are ready click save.

3) Click on your Magellan Geocache Manager program and click on the folder icon to open up the saved list of geocache coordinates. Youll see them displayed on the screen.

4) When you are ready to download all these files click on the little satellite icon to download the info to your GPS. The transfer range will be all geocaches.

Thats it. Open up the file in your GPS unit, usually saved under geocache waypoints and go off hunting.

Good Luck 73

Calpurnius

I'm totally new to this and bought a Magellan Explorist 500 LE. I can't figure out how to down load a geocahce poi into my unit. I downloaded the Easy GPS software and it still doesn't work.

The Magellan Explorist 500 LE comes with an installation CD and a second CD for Mapsend. If you install the installation CD on your PC one of the programs will be Magellan GeoCache Manager. You will need to open this program up, have your Magellan Explorist 500 LE hooked up via the provided USB cable to the PC and set to communicate on USB mode.

1) OK, ready? Log on to Geocache.com and goto a list of geocaches you are intrested in searched on Hide and seek a cache. you see that little check box to the right...check it. OK. Now scroll down the page untill you see the button marked Download Waypoints? Click it.

2) You'll be prompted to find a place to save this file on your P.C. I have created a specific folder for this. When you are ready click save.

3) Click on your Magellan Geocache Manager program and click on the folder icon to open up the saved list of geocache coordinates. Youll see them displayed on the screen.

4) When you are ready to download all these files click on the little satellite icon to download the info to your GPS. The transfer range will be all geocaches.

Thats it. Open up the file in your GPS unit, usually saved under geocache waypoints and go off hunting.

Good Luck 73

Calpurnius

THANKS!!! :D

but when you do this you can only click the ones on that page and then when you load them you get one folder and you can't get others into it when you go to the next page. Or do you know away around this? I have the 400.

Your A premium member you can use PQs, you can download up to 500 caches on a PQ but the explorists will only except up to 200 also make sure the file is in GPX format and not LOC.

I would also try using GSAK it's free i believe for 20 days after that you get a nag screen

:P

Having same problem! Showing :"No unit Detected"

Explorist 500LE new unit version 2.05

Cable right way

Windows 7

Explorist cables, IMO, are really crappy. I went through two of them in a little over a year (both had open circuits internally)

I'd guess that would be your trouble. Ebay a new one.

:P

Having same problem! Showing :"No unit Detected"

Explorist 500LE new unit version 2.05

Cable right way

Windows 7

Explorist cables, IMO, are really crappy. I went through two of them in a little over a year (both had open circuits internally)

I'd guess that would be your trouble. Ebay a new one.

I had the same problem. Replaced my cable and it's been working fine ever since. Ebay has them at a good price, that's where I ended up getting mine.

"In the process of trying another cable . In the meantime I copyied the geocaches GPX files to the sd card and put the card in the GPS but it's showing me the card is empty ."

That is because your Eplorist cannot recgonize .gpx files. You can import your .gpx files (200 caches per file max) into Magellan's Vantage Point or EasyGPS and then send the converted files (.gs file, I think) to the Explorist's internal memory "Geocache" folder or the SD card's "Geocache" folder.

...and here is yet another way which I discovered when my new computer with Vista could not find the handheld:

put caches you want into a bookmark list

run a PQ on the bookmark list

when you get the file, unzip it and put it into a database on GSAK

take the SD card out of your 500 and put it in your computer's SD slot, or into a USB card reader.

(the SD needs to have been set up in your 500 first)

in the GSAK menu bar, hit "send to gps"

it will work just like you had the cable plugged in.

I have bought a second hand 500le.

I am also getting the unit not detected message when I try to do anything with the Geocache manager.

But I am able to connect it to the computer and see the device like a hard drive in my computer...so that makes me think that it is not a cord problem.

But could it still be this?

I have bought a second hand 500le.

I am also getting the unit not detected message when I try to do anything with the Geocache manager.

But I am able to connect it to the computer and see the device like a hard drive in my computer...so that makes me think that it is not a cord problem.

But could it still be this?

Try GSAK!!! It supports the 500...

David

Magellan Insider