HELP: unlocking Garmin City Navigator NT and Topo to second unit

mabuhr

I just received my new Garmin Colorado 300, an upgrade from my Garmin 60CSx. Supposedly I'm allowed to unlock my Garmin maps (City Navigator NT North America, City Navigator Europe v9, and Topo US 2008) to a second unit. However, I'll be d*mned if I can figure out how to do it. Could someone provide step by step by step directions (the way Garmin *ought to*)? I just wasted an entire Saturday afternoon trying to figure this out, when I should have been outdoors running around in the woods with my new toy!

Edited by mabuhr

Connect GPS to computer, make sure you are connected to the internet, and Open Mapsource. Then,

Utilities-Unlock Maps-Next-No, I need to get a ... card-Next-Log in or create an account if you don't have one-Next-Next (fill in the asterisk fields)-Unlock Additional Garmin Unit-

Thats as far as I got as I my software does not have an additional unlock code.

Connect GPS to computer, make sure you are connected to the internet, and Open Mapsource. Then,

Utilities-Unlock Maps-Next-No, I need to get a ... card-Next-Log in or create an account if you don't have one-Next-Next (fill in the asterisk fields)-Unlock Additional Garmin Unit-

.....and I do that with my old Legend when trying to unlock for this second unit and everything works fine until I get an error message that says I do not have a cusotmer code for this unit. No, I don't, that is what I am trying to get from Garmin. I agree with the OP, the process for unlocking a second unit is tedious and frustrating. I was even following the steps exactly from the Garmin support page and it still does not work. i suppose a call to Garmin is in order here.

John

From Garmins Site: Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use only with your Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others. If you own multiple unlock compatible Garmin GPS units, please purchase a unique unlock code for each unit. (See our Unlock FAQ page for further details.)

I have MapSource v8 and thought they same thing, that I could use it with two GPS units. You can, but you have to purchase an additional unlock certificate.

Matthew

.....and I do that with my old Legend when trying to unlock for this second unit and everything works fine until I get an error message that says I do not have a cusotmer code for this unit. No, I don't, that is what I am trying to get from Garmin. I agree with the OP, the process for unlocking a second unit is tedious and frustrating. I was even following the steps exactly from the Garmin support page and it still does not work. i suppose a call to Garmin is in order here.

John

The old [blue] Legend does not require an unlock code. I guess you do if you install maps from City Navigator, but that would be a waste of money since the blue Legend does not auto-route. MetroGuide maps are made for the non-routable Garmin GPS's, but they do not require an unlock code.

When I had City Select, which provided a 2nd unlock code, I had no problem unlocking a 2nd GPS. Same with City Navigator (non-NT). I understand the NT versions only come with one unlock code; the subsequent ones need to be purchased.

I had trouble unlocking City Nav NT from the MapSource unlock wizard. All would work fine until I received the error regarding no customer code. I went to the Garmin website and did the unlock there without any problem. I input the 8-character coupon code and GPSr serial number and received the 25-character unlock code immediately on the web page and a minute later via email.

I had already registered the GPSr on the Garmin site...

UPDATE - just spoke to Garmin support, was told the following:

- Topo 2008 does not require an unlock code

- City Navigator can only be unlocked to a single device

- City Navigator cannot be transfered to a new device (i.e. I can't deauthorize my 60CSx and authorize my Colorado 300)

- In order to get new unlock codes for my two City Nav licenses, I'd have to pay $139 EACH (!!!)

- At this point, I got a bit hot... I happen to work in the software industry, and tying my license of a product to physical device, whether I own the device or not, is ridiculous. If I buy a copy of Windows Vista, install it to my old machine, and then decide to upgrade, I can deauthorize my old machine and authorize my new machine.

This is just plain dumb on the part of Garmin. Here I've done what they WANT me to do (buy the latest and greatest version of their handheld line), and they are incenting me to return it and just stick with my 60CSx (because there is no way I'm paying $280 for software licenses I already own).

City Nav can only unlock to one unit - sorry you had to find out the hard way.

If you want maps with routing capability that can be put on more than one GPSr, get a copy of Metroguide and download Metrowizzz or MetroGold from www.geodude.nl. Those programs reubild the routing data that Garmin disabled. You can even use an eBay version (or maybe even a BitTorrent version) without worrying about unlock codes and the like.

I'm in agreement that it's silly to tie the program to one and only one GPSr, even after you no longer own it. But there's plenty of people here who will argue Garmin's side...

It has nothing to do with Garmin. It is Navtech (the data suppliers) that set the pricing and rules. I'm sure Garmin would be happy to give away maps if they could as it would help hardware sales.

Go and try to upgrade the maps on your car's built in navigation system and see how much it costs......

- City Navigator cannot be transfered to a new device (i.e. I can't deauthorize my 60CSx and authorize my Colorado 300)

- In order to get new unlock codes for my two City Nav licenses, I'd have to pay $139 EACH (!!!)

Well, you've definitely saved me a call to Garmin. I was just curious as to how much it would cost to unlock my copy of City Nav for son's Legend. Apparrently I cannot do it, and it is in now way worth that amount of money to unlock it to s second unit, even if it could be done.

Now, I'm curious as to what would happen if my 60CSx would die for some reason and have to be replaced (under warranty)......would my unlock codes with the old unit?

John

On current City Navigator versions, yes, but not the previous gen. I used a 2nd (free) unlock code from City Navigator in CN that came in my wife's 2610, some 2-3 years ago. It was the version after City Select.

Get MetroGuide and use MetroGold, as suggested. I've been using MetroGuide 2008 in my Vista HCx to auto-route with no problems. I also have Topo 2008 installed with no conflicts between the two. I haven't checked the licensing agreement to see if Garmin opposes MetroGold, but I have no interest in checking either. :laughing:

The only version that can't be unlocked to two units is the most recent version. Previous versions could be unlocked to two units. I did it by calling Garmin and requesting a second unlock code. I had registered my software previously and they simply looked me up, checked their computer, and issued me a second unlock key.

I am also really upset with Garmin over this. They would not let me tranbsfer CN 2008 from 60csx TO MY 400t. That is total BS and a rip off. Someone should sue Garmin. What we need is competition for Garmin Maps. I do not understand why no other compant has made routable street maps for Garmin.

I am also really upset with Garmin over this. They would not let me tranbsfer CN 2008 from 60csx TO MY 400t. That is total BS and a rip off. Someone should sue Garmin. What we need is competition for Garmin Maps. I do not understand why no other compant has made routable street maps for Garmin.

I think they all ready have. A buddy of mine has MS Trips and Streets on his 60csx and the routing is working on it. I have not tried it yet, but I watched it work on his unit.

<snip>

Now, I'm curious as to what would happen if my 60CSx would die for some reason and have to be replaced (under warranty)......would my unlock codes with the old unit?

John

If you got a different, replacement GPSr, you would need a new Unlock Code for the City Navigator maps, which Garmin would give you. I got a new Unlock Code when Garmin replaced my Vista C and another friend got a new Unlock Code when his 60CSx was stolen.

It has nothing to do with Garmin. It is Navtech (the data suppliers) that set the pricing and rules. I'm sure Garmin would be happy to give away maps if they could as it would help hardware sales.

I don't think that's quite true... Garmin certainly makes a profit on map sales, too. If they only wanted to sell hardware, they could just publish the IMG file format and let us do-it-yourself mappers go to town. (I wish they would...)

On current City Navigator versions, yes, but not the previous gen. I used a 2nd (free) unlock code from City Navigator in CN that came in my wife's 2610, some 2-3 years ago. It was the version after City Select.

Get MetroGuide and use MetroGold, as suggested. I've been using MetroGuide 2008 in my Vista HCx to auto-route with no problems. I also have Topo 2008 installed with no conflicts between the two. I haven't checked the licensing agreement to see if Garmin opposes MetroGold, but I have no interest in checking either. :laughing:

MetroGuide 2008??? That has to be a typo right? I've never heard of MetroGuide 2008.

... A buddy of mine has MS Trips and Streets on his 60csx and the routing is working on it. I have not tried it yet, but I watched it work on his unit.

OK, could you clarify this? He has loaded S&T onto his 60CSx? Or he uses S&T on his computer and his 60CSx is attached and supplying the location info to the computer???

- Topo 2008 does not require an unlock code

- At this point, I got a bit hot... I happen to work in the software industry, and tying my license of a product to physical device, whether I own the device or not, is ridiculous. If I buy a copy of Windows Vista, install it to my old machine, and then decide to upgrade, I can deauthorize my old machine and authorize my new machine.

I completely agree with this as well. You should be able to de-authorize a gps you no longer have because you sold it or broke it. You have already paid for the software and have it in your possession and to make you buy an additional unlock code is ridiculous. With iTunes for example I can authorize and de-authorize up to 5 computers a year to play music. Garmin should implement something similar like possibly allowing you to de-authorize and authorize up to 2 or 3 gps units a year. I mean seriously, would it really kill them?

I'm one to try out new units as they come out, and because of this policy this makes installing the CN maps impossible if you like to swap your units around. I think setting a unit limit per year would make sense and I think we should petition Garmin for something like this!

Not to contradict everyone here, but I have a NUVI350, with City Navigator NT, and purchased an HCx several months later. I was able to get an unlock code for the HCx that allowed me to load City Nav NT onto it at no add'l cost. I am registered with Garmin, and have both units registered. If you do this, you should be able to submit your serial# from the new unit (as long as it's compatible) and get a second unlock for NT for free...

Not to contradict everyone here, but I have a NUVI350, with City Navigator NT, and purchased an HCx several months later. I was able to get an unlock code for the HCx that allowed me to load City Nav NT onto it at no add'l cost. I am registered with Garmin, and have both units registered. If you do this, you should be able to submit your serial# from the new unit (as long as it's compatible) and get a second unlock for NT for free...

When was that? The reason I ask is that you were probably operating under the old (2007, V8) policy. Basically like others have said they allowed 2 unlocks per software package. With the release of V9, they only allow one unlock per unit. If you bought a Nuvi Today, it would have the software already unlocked on it--that would be your one unlock.

When was that? The reason I ask is that you were probably operating under the old (2007, V8) policy. Basically like others have said they allowed 2 unlocks per software package. With the release of V9, they only allow one unlock per unit. If you bought a Nuvi Today, it would have the software already unlocked on it--that would be your one unlock.

I think you may be right... it was the 2007 version. I just rec'd the free update to 2008, but didn't catch the fine print appearantly. I'll check that out when I get home.

Garmin should implement something similar like possibly allowing you to de-authorize and authorize up to 2 or 3 gps units a year. I mean seriously, would it really kill them?

How can they deauthorise an object that does not transmit information?

Seriously suggest selling the unit on ebay; and then buying a unit new, or used with all maps already installed on a data card.

Personally I do not fault Garmin for doing the license sales scheme. It is their business plan, and it works for them. Vote with your feet and choose another of five companies that sell GPS technology. Garmin is not the only game in town any more.

This is how it works. Any City Navigator North America or City Select America either NT or non-NT version 8 or older has two unlock codes. The unlock policy changed with the release of City Navigator North America NT 2008 to only one unlock. You can use the City Navigator North American NT 2008 Update to update the first GPS you have unlocked to the older City Navigator North American NT but the Update will not work on the second unit. You must buy the full version for the second GPS.

I have a similar but more illogical unlock story...

I bought a 60CSx a couple of years ago. I also bought City Select V7 which is comes with a license for 2 gps units! I unlocked it for the 60CSx and it has been working fine for a year or two.

Now, I bought a Colorado 400T. I spend an entire weekend unlocking/installing City Select V7 onto the Colorado. (Many, many, many attempts before I realized that the Colorado's USB interface just can't hang on long enough to transfer that much data. After buying a USB card reader/writer I was able to transfer it.)

Anyhow, now I have CSv7 installed on both the 60CSx and the Colorado 400T.

I wanted to buy the City Navigator 2008 upgrade and install it on the Colorado 400T. Couldn't figure out how to do it online so I called Tech Support.

Turns out the Upgrade ($75) will work on the 60CSx because it was the "first" unit I installed CSv7 on. There is no upgrade path for the Colorado since it is using the second license of CSv7.

I explained that I understand the CN 2008 is a "1-unit licensed product" and that I only wanted to use it on 1 unit, my 400T.

Can't be done because it was the second unit the CSv7 was installed on. Illogical to me. I have a license for 2 units of the old version and I just want to upgrade 1 of them. Which one should be my choice and not theirs. A license is a license and both gps units were bought from Garmin.

Not being cheap but more feeling cheated, I refuse to pay full retail to upgrade my license so I just won't do it. Their loss as well as mine.

By the way has everybody noticed how LONG it takes for the Colorado to boot if you have a large map installed on the SD card? The 60CSx doesn't suffer from this same issue!

Get MetroGuide and use MetroGold, as suggested. I've been using MetroGuide 2008 in my Vista HCx to auto-route with no problems. I also have Topo 2008 installed with no conflicts between the two. I haven't checked the licensing agreement to see if Garmin opposes MetroGold, but I have no interest in checking either. :)

MetroGuide 2008??? That has to be a typo right? I've never heard of MetroGuide 2008.

Okay, the correct name is MetroGuide North America V8. It just came out last year for the non-auto routing models, but MetroGold builds the necessary index to convert M-G into an auto-router. I have City Navigator NT on my work's Nuvi 660, and had the non-NT version on my 60CS, the new MG v8 auto-routes no differently than NT and has the same POI index.

Get MetroGuide and use MetroGold, as suggested. I've been using MetroGuide 2008 in my Vista HCx to auto-route with no problems. I also have Topo 2008 installed with no conflicts between the two. I haven't checked the licensing agreement to see if Garmin opposes MetroGold, but I have no interest in checking either. :)

It just came out last year for the non-auto routing models, but MetroGold builds the necessary index to convert M-G into an auto-router. I have City Navigator NT on my work's Nuvi 660, and had the non-NT version on my 60CS, the new MG v8 auto-routes no differently than NT and has the same POI index.

Metrogold is $6 which is a great bargain. Not sure of there license scheme, but they are still selling.

Okay, the correct name is MetroGuide North America V8. It just came out last year for the non-auto routing models, but MetroGold builds the necessary index to convert M-G into an auto-router. I have City Navigator NT on my work's Nuvi 660, and had the non-NT version on my 60CS, the new MG v8 auto-routes no differently than NT and has the same POI index.

Thanks for the clarification. I have MGNA v8 and thought I had been sleeping and missed a newer version. I went for the hammer to break the piggy bank so I could get the v2008 but I guess I can put the hammer back. I figure there won’t be a MetroGuide North America 2008 or v9 because of MetroWizz.

I have a similar but more illogical unlock story...

I bought a 60CSx a couple of years ago. I also bought City Select V7 which is comes with a license for 2 gps units! I unlocked it for the 60CSx and it has been working fine for a year or two.

Now, I bought a Colorado 400T. I spend an entire weekend unlocking/installing City Select V7 onto the Colorado. (Many, many, many attempts before I realized that the Colorado's USB interface just can't hang on long enough to transfer that much data. After buying a USB card reader/writer I was able to transfer it.)

Anyhow, now I have CSv7 installed on both the 60CSx and the Colorado 400T.

I wanted to buy the City Navigator 2008 upgrade and install it on the Colorado 400T. Couldn't figure out how to do it online so I called Tech Support.

Turns out the Upgrade ($75) will work on the 60CSx because it was the "first" unit I installed CSv7 on. There is no upgrade path for the Colorado since it is using the second license of CSv7.

I explained that I understand the CN 2008 is a "1-unit licensed product" and that I only wanted to use it on 1 unit, my 400T.

Can't be done because it was the second unit the CSv7 was installed on. Illogical to me. I have a license for 2 units of the old version and I just want to upgrade 1 of them. Which one should be my choice and not theirs. A license is a license and both gps units were bought from Garmin.

Not being cheap but more feeling cheated, I refuse to pay full retail to upgrade my license so I just won't do it. Their loss as well as mine.

By the way has everybody noticed how LONG it takes for the Colorado to boot if you have a large map installed on the SD card? The 60CSx doesn't suffer from this same issue!

I ran into a similar issue when I upgraded from a 60CS to a 60CSx. I had been using City Select since V5. Same deal, I only wanted to put City Nav 2008 on my 60CSx, but the 60CS was my first unit. Okay, I called tech support and the agent told me that since th 60CS was the first unit, I could not unlock 2008 to the second unit, the 60CSx, but (this is the good part!) he was willing to sell me a full version CN 2008 for the pirce of the upgrade ($75). In the end I got what I wanted (new maps) for the price I expected to pay.

I am rapidly becoming "GPS Poor".

I have THREE Garmin Units.

City Nav. "NT" Full Version = $110.00

City Nav. "NT" Upgrade = $80.00

City Nav. "NT" Upgrade = $80.00

BlueCharts "2" Regions = $200.00

Ya... That's right... $470 just in MAP/Chart costs..... not to mention the cost of the Units themselves.

I will probably start doing "Upgrades" every TWO years to try to keep the costs down.

Tim

I have the Vista hcx. Looking at buying Nuvi 750, comes pre-loaded with city navigator nt.

1st, If I buy the full version city navigator nt dvd, can I upload the map to the hcx

msd card and use it to pre-plan a trip (driving)?

2nd, Can I use same city navigator nt dvd with the 750 to pre-plan a trip (driving)?

Go and try to upgrade the maps on your car's built in navigation system and see how much it costs......

Navtech was the reason that Garmin changed to single unit map use with no second unit option. This was the info straight from Garmin when I contacted them when we were trying to purchase CN NT for both our 400t units. We found the best price for the new software at about $98 per. We found that info here on one of the threads. Very frustrating indeed. Here I sit waiting for the next update ;)

When I used Metroguide v 7 with the Metrowizz process, my 60cx routed perfectly and still had all the POI that I would use (such as gas stations, etc)

I have since upgraded to CN 2008 NT version. But I won't be upgrading every year as I don't believe the maps change enough to warrant the $$.

Honestly MG with Metrowizz is the way to go. Much cheaper and still routable, and no unlock codes.

I have the Vista hcx. Looking at buying Nuvi 750, comes pre-loaded with city navigator nt.

1st, If I buy the full version city navigator nt dvd, can I upload the map to the hcx

msd card and use it to pre-plan a trip (driving)?

2nd, Can I use same city navigator nt dvd with the 750 to pre-plan a trip (driving)?

If I read what you are asking correctly, the answer is yes. the Nuvi comes with CN, and you are going to get a separate full version to use with your Vista. That means you have one copy of the map per unit. I don't know how the Nuvi interfaces with the computer, but assuming you can upload routes from MapSource to the Nuvi, then you could use them together. The only thing you could not do is upload maps segments from the Computer Version of CN to the Nuvi, but as they both have the same map data, there is no real reason to do so. You will have to get 2 copies of the update when it is time to update, or you could just update one or the other.

I don’t think anyone has addressed this option but here’s what I would do/did. I would try to buy City Navigator North America NT version 8 that would still have the 2 unlock codes. Since you bought the new software after the release of a newer version, Garmin will offer you a free Update to City Navigator North America NT 2008 when you register the software. This update will only work on the unit that was unlocked to the v.8 first (primary unlocked unit). Then you will end up with one GPS running CNNANT 2008 and the other has CNNANT v.8 for about $100. The second unlocked GPS can not be updated with an “Update”. You would have to buy a “Full” version. One catch! Both versions (v.8 and 2008) of City Navigator North America NT are the same part number (010-10816-00). You must be very careful when trying to buy the v.8 since most places won’t accept software returns.

I don’t think anyone has addressed this option but here’s what I would do/did. I would try to buy City Navigator North America NT version 8 that would still have the 2 unlock codes. Since you bought the new software after the release of a newer version, Garmin will offer you a free Update to City Navigator North America NT 2008 when you register the software. This update will only work on the unit that was unlocked to the v.8 first (primary unlocked unit). Then you will end up with one GPS running CNNANT 2008 and the other has CNNANT v.8 for about $100. The second unlocked GPS can not be updated with an “Update”. You would have to buy a “Full” version. One catch! Both versions (v.8 and 2008) of City Navigator North America NT are the same part number (010-10816-00). You must be very careful when trying to buy the v.8 since most places won’t accept software returns.

There is one problem with your suggestion though. I don't think Garmin is giving free updates for previous versions of software purchased after the release date of the next version anymore. I think they were running into problems with people purchasing their Nuvis (and other preloaded units) waiting until after the newest version of CN was released before registering, that way they (the users) were getting several months of use of the old maps, as well as a free update to the new version. For those of us that had software on a disk this was never a problem--you had to go through the unlock process to use the data. Whereas if you get a preloaded unit, it is ready to go out of the box--no unlocking necessary, and no way for Garmin to determine when you purchased/started using your unit.

The policy would have had to change in the last few weeks. I registered a new nuvi 350 in January 2008 with v.8 maps and automatically received the free version 2008 Update notice in “My Garmin”. I received the free Update DVD with unlock code in a couple weeks and unlocked them mid February.

The policy would have had to change in the last few weeks. I registered a new nuvi 350 in January 2008 with v.8 maps and automatically received the free version 2008 Update notice in “My Garmin”. I received the free Update DVD with unlock code in a couple weeks and unlocked them mid February.

Okay then, I stand corrected.

Doesnt have the colorado in the compatibility list. Is it not?

also

is the metro guide the same as city navigator minus the autonavigator? For instance, if i findmyself traveling the desert to Las Vegas, the same detailed towns, roads and setups would be on the Metro Guide as it would on City Navigator?

Edited by DodgerBlues

I think they all ready have. A buddy of mine has MS Trips and Streets on his 60csx and the routing is working on it. I have not tried it yet, but I watched it work on his unit.

Do you think MS Trips would work on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx ??

Randy

The software has features to allow you to load it up on the Garmin I assume?

is the metro guide the same as city navigator minus the autonavigator? For instance, if i findmyself traveling the desert to Las Vegas, the same detailed towns, roads and setups would be on the Metro Guide as it would on City Navigator?

City Navigator = Metro Guide + routing + som traffic information needed for FM traffic and MSN Traffic.

Maps = 100% equal, as long as we talk about same version CNv2008=MGv2008 etc.