Buy from GPSNOW.com ?

I'm looking to purchase a Garmin Colorado 400t. GPSNow has the best price ($506).

My questions:

1. Are they reliable online retailer , and

2. Since this is a Colorado and reviews have been mixed on the unit - does it make more sense to purchase from REI where if need be I can return it w/o restocking fees or hassle.

Thoughts?

I bought my 300 from GPSNow and was well pleased with the transaction. I had it the very next day after I ordered it and got to talk to a live person from the start of the order, although you can order via internet too. I am not planniing on returning it so I am not sure about restocking fees.

Barrikady or Contryguy ....

No problems w/ your 300s?

The software is still not 100% ready, but it's a lot better than it was when I got the device on Jan 23. I feel comfortable with the way the device is operating now, and I also feel sure that Garmin will continue to correct the remaining software glitches.

I am a pleased 300 owner.

Edited by Barrikady

Thanks folks. Just from what I could tell and your comments, they seem to be a good company to deal with. The concern is if the unit is defective, which I've read some folks have - it's easier to run to REI then to ship but then I'd be paying almost $100 more.

The concern is if the unit is defective, which I've read some folks have - it's easier to run to REI then to ship but then I'd be paying almost $100 more.

You are absolutely correct. Returning to GPSNow may be a hassle and there may be a return fee (sorry, I can't remember). Returning to REI is hassle free and no return charge. With GPSNow you save about $100. The choice is yours to make.

This is truly a win/win situation and one of the few you will ever find in the geocaching world.

If you buy from gpsnow.com (a very, very reputable company) you will have free shipping and get the GPS fast. Returns won't be a problem, but there may well be fees involved.

If you buy from REI, even if you're not currently a member, you will get $50 - $60 back at the end of the year and won't have to pay for shipping. You also get the unit the same day and have their hassle free return policy behind you.

Since it is now Saturday and times a wastin', I hope you either bought your GPS or are heading there tomorrow morning!

Also: regardless of what you do, install the latest firmware revision (2.40 at the moment) and invest in some good quality rechargeable batteries. I use Duracells and have been pleased with them (they really aren't much more expensive than the "other" batteries). I am looking for a better charger for in-home. I love the new 2000 mAh NiMH "pre-charged" batteries. Shop around and get them at a good price. There is also a $2.00 instant rebate available if you get lucky. - Pat

Well LifeOnEdge (and all),

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

I'll have to wait till Monday! I have to go back to REI then to pickup some items ordered. Yesterday I played with the 300 for about an hour. Really do like the feel, interface and setup of the unit (much better than the others - Vista, 60csx). Most of the staff there like the Colorado, although a few said the 60csx is still top dog! In the store the display was kinda washed out, readable but dull. Had to crank up the backlight 'bout 3/4 to get what I call a bright, vivid display. Wonder how that affects battery life?? Due to the crowding of the store and lack of employees, they would not let me take it outside into the sunlight to see the display.

Such dilemmas!

This is truly a win/win situation and one of the few you will ever find in the geocaching world.

If you buy from gpsnow.com (a very, very reputable company) you will have free shipping and get the GPS fast. Returns won't be a problem, but there may well be fees involved.

If you buy from REI, even if you're not currently a member, you will get $50 - $60 back at the end of the year and won't have to pay for shipping. You also get the unit the same day and have their hassle free return policy behind you.

Since it is now Saturday and times a wastin', I hope you either bought your GPS or are heading there tomorrow morning!

Also: regardless of what you do, install the latest firmware revision (2.40 at the moment) and invest in some good quality rechargeable batteries. I use Duracells and have been pleased with them (they really aren't much more expensive than the "other" batteries). I am looking for a better charger for in-home. I love the new 2000 mAh NiMH "pre-charged" batteries. Shop around and get them at a good price. There is also a $2.00 instant rebate available if you get lucky. - Pat

I'm looking to purchase a Garmin Colorado 400t. GPSNow has the best price ($506).

My questions:

1. Are they reliable online retailer , and

2. Since this is a Colorado and reviews have been mixed on the unit - does it make more sense to purchase from REI where if need be I can return it w/o restocking fees or hassle.

Thoughts?

I purchased my Colorado from GPSNow and it arrived within the week. GPSNow even had a lady call me to ask if I had ordered from them... Now that is what I call service! :D

I was batting around the idea of going with GPSNow or REI. I went with the REI route. I will get the cash back at the end of the year and with all of the "problems" that the Colorado started with I just wanted that no hassle guarntee. The price is cheaper on line but you can not beat the REI return policy.

Oh and I went out in the snow to find my first couple of caches today and I love the Colorado.

Vegas Gamblers,

Are you happy with the display of the Colorado? Which model did you get?

I was batting around the idea of going with GPSNow or REI. I went with the REI route. I will get the cash back at the end of the year and with all of the "problems" that the Colorado started with I just wanted that no hassle guarntee. The price is cheaper on line but you can not beat the REI return policy.

Oh and I went out in the snow to find my first couple of caches today and I love the Colorado.

Vegas Gamblers,

Are you happy with the display of the Colorado? Which model did you get?

I got the 400t and like I said I just love it. The display is Okay in my book, and I am thinking of getting the InvisibleShield for it. I loaded up the whole U.S.A. on a one gig SD card. It is City Navigator NT and the auto routing worked great. I still have the 60Cx which is a fine unit also. The Colorado still has a learning curve but I am working through that.

well, stopped by REI today to pick up a 400t and they're sold out of 300s and the 400t. There was not even a 400t in the display case. Interesting since they had one 300 left and several 400t this past Saturday. Oh well, guess I can wait or order from them online.