Event caches and the rules?

Recently (just last night Feb29, 08) we had a different event cache.

Winco's First GC19D8B

NOMEX writes

Just so there's no misunderstandings later on, as I can see some people are talking about a sequel to this Event in the future...from the Guidelines:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad to hear that everyone had a good time, and feel free to log your Attended log if you haven't done so, but no, there will not be Events of this nature in the future.

And please, if you have some concerns you'd like to express, please do so on the Forums or directly to me through the email link on my Profile. Posting additional comments unrelated to the Event per se, will only force me to lock the page and perhaps rob someone of an Attended log that may deserve it.

Nomex

Northern California Volunteer Geocache Reviewer

I attended this event and see no gather for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list. The purpose of the vent was to see how many people are truly interested in caching enough to attend a 15 minute (not even really a flash mob as they usually last only 5 minutes or less) event at the stroke of midnight on leap year Feb 29, 08.

One thing that did strike me as odd about the whole thing was the person who put it all together.

Who is he/she??? They left an envelope and inside of it a pen and log.

After speaking with the reviewer I'm starting to think this isn't too good of an idea.

If you want to organize an event of this type, or any type, then why be afraid to show your face?

It did strike me as different and kind of fit the theme but it isn't easy for the reviewers I don't think.

Although only 13-15 people showed up I was left with the impression it was a success.

A few mentioned they'd like to do something more along these lines.

The event was scheduled, available to all cachers, at a set date and time, and finally only about caching nothing else.

Wrong, I don't know. Tell us what you think...

Chaz

I think flash mobs are silly, and wouldn't attend one. Most of them are set up as a subtle promotional tool for a commercial website. But, I see that other people find them to be fun, and I see that Groundspeak allows them to be listed.

Some days I like finding a string of micros in shopping center parking lots. Many people find this to be silly, but sometimes I find it to be fun.

So, live and let live. :blink:

I attended this one and although there wasn't really an organized "group hunt," a very nearby cache played a role and was probably the main reason, if not the only reason, for the event posting. You can't really call it a group hunt when only myself and one other person signed the log.

just remove everything in the description. Give a set of coordinates and a time.

let people be suprised.

*removes sarcasm hat, then kicks a dog*

ya thats right mumble.. mumble...

That sounds like fun. Except the dog bit. I anticipate your listing once you get the hat back on, and it is a cool hat. :D

I think flash mobs are silly, and wouldn't attend one. Most of them are set up as a subtle promotional tool for a commercial website. But, I see that other people find them to be fun, and I see that Groundspeak allows them to be listed.

Some days I like finding a string of micros in shopping center parking lots. Many people find this to be silly, but sometimes I find it to be fun.

So, live and let live. <_<

I also think flash mob events are silly. I have never attened one and I have no plans to attend one. I just do not see getting into my truck and driving to an event that may only going to last 15 minutes or less.

The event in question was about 25 minutes from my home, but driving 50 minutes at around midnight for a flash mob event is not for me. Besides, at todays gas prices, forget about it

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Yes. 12 PM means twelve hours after noon. 12 AM means twelve hours before noon. So, it's obviously at midnight. But which day?

By this definition, 12AM and 12 PM would both be midnight. :laughing:

12PM is noon and 12AM is midnight. So by definition, the event happens at noon on 03-27-2008.

I also think flash mob events are silly. I have never attened one and I have no plans to attend one. I just do not see getting into my truck and driving to an event that may only going to last 15 minutes or less.

Ditto. Very silly ~

Yes. 12 PM means twelve hours after noon. 12 AM means twelve hours before noon. So, it's obviously at midnight. But which day?

If you're going to be picky, and apparently many of you are :laughing: , the fact is there is no such thing as 12:00AM or 12:00PM.

The correct notation for noon is 12:00N (or 12:00noon), and the correct notation for midnight is 12:00M (or 12:00midnight). It goes from 11:59:59AM to 12:00:00N to 12:00:01PM. Or just use military time and be done with it. :o

Edited by Prime Suspect

It appears to me the moderator misunderstood the event as published although based on reading the logs it appears to me that someone had the event for the purpose of getting more cachers to a particular cache.

That being said, how would one point out a cache that is in obvious violations of the event guidelines?

It appears to me the moderator misunderstood the event as published although based on reading the logs it appears to me that someone had the event for the purpose of getting more cachers to a particular cache.

It appears the reviewer understood the event as it happened quite well. You have what appears to be a sockpuppet account listing an event that after the fact looks like it was mainly to bring people to a cache (which is against the guidelines).

I'm sure the reviewers don't like being tricked or deceived any more then we do. I hope Groundspeak will check the server logs or whatever and figure out who the real account behind the event was and let the reviewer know.

Edited by Mopar