Will an 8 GB SDHC card work in the Colorado

Got my Colorado yesterday. Loaded it up and am having some fun with it. I now have a 4GM SDHC card in. I was able to load all of CN NA on the card and still have about 2-3 GB left.

So two thoughts come to mind.

First... will the colorado work with an SD card larger than 4GB... like 8GB? I have seen one thread that kind of tortured the guy asking the question until he bought one and then refused to tell everyone else the answer.... I thought that was pretty good.... :blink:

Second question.... with 2-3 GB left on a 4GB card... why would you need more. I am going on a big vacation this summer to NJ, NYC, London, and Norway. So I will probably load ALL of NA and ALL of Europe. I will have about 1-2 GB left. Then I can load 2000 caches in the specific areas I will be in. That will be <5MB.... right? What would I use the rest for.... more caches as waypoints and poi's???

The consumer in me wants more memory but I am not sure what that does for me.

Got my Colorado yesterday. Loaded it up and am having some fun with it. I now have a 4GM SDHC card in. I was able to load all of CN NA on the card and still have about 2-3 GB left.

So two thoughts come to mind.

First... will the colorado work with an SD card larger than 4GB... like 8GB? I have seen one thread that kind of tortured the guy asking the question until he bought one and then refused to tell everyone else the answer.... I thought that was pretty good.... :blink:

Second question.... with 2-3 GB left on a 4GB card... why would you need more. I am going on a big vacation this summer to NJ, NYC, London, and Norway. So I will probably load ALL of NA and ALL of Europe. I will have about 1-2 GB left. Then I can load 2000 caches in the specific areas I will be in. That will be <5MB.... right? What would I use the rest for.... more caches as waypoints and poi's???

The consumer in me wants more memory but I am not sure what that does for me.

[/quotE

I was told by Garmin that 4 GB is the limit. Another issue is the number of "maps" (selections) made. There's a limit there also, (4000) that the Colorado can handle.

I was told by Garmin that 4 GB is the limit. Another issue is the number of "maps" (selections) made. There's a limit there also, (4000) that the Colorado can handle.

I've heard the 4GB limit from Garmin as well although I've heard directly from one user who has used 6GB of an 8GB card.

The number of segments the Colorado can handle is at least 4000, I've never been able to quantify an exact upper limit, it may be more.

There is some speculation that there also may be a max file size (~2GB). I've personally only used a 1GB file on the SD card.

The only reason I can see for having a larger SD card is to store lots of img/gpx files on the card which aren't active. I currently have a dozen img files on my internal memory and SD card as well as lots of different gpx files. I just change the filename extension on the files I'm not using to xxx. I really wish Garmin would support a file manager on the Colorado so you didn't need a PC to do this.

The only other reason for a larger SD card is if you want to put lots of jpg images on the Colorado.

GO$Rs