Any famous Geocachers out there?

Also there is Ken Jennings "the guy on Jeopardy! for much of 2004, if that rings a bell."

Anyone know any other famous geocacher types?

BumpasaurusRex.jpg

It was once rumored that I was Wink Martindale. :laughing: I had some fun with that.

I also heard a rumor that the Obama Daughters liked to geocache before he became President. Don't know how true that is.

Also, a recognizable character actor (name escapes me at the moment) from the 50's to the 70's.

Also there is Ken Jennings "the guy on Jeopardy! for much of 2004, if that rings a bell."

Anyone know any other famous geocacher types?

BumpasaurusRex.jpg

It was once rumored that I was Wink Martindale. :laughing: I had some fun with that.

I also heard a rumor that the Obama Daughters liked to geocache before he became President. Don't know how true that is.

Also, a recognizable character actor (name escapes me at the moment) from the 50's to the 70's.

Well there is always that famous Snoogans or is that imfamous :laughing:

With all these links, I keep expecting to get rickrolled. :lol:

I don't think Rick Astley has ever geocached. He'd be good at it, though. No matter how tough it was to find the cache, he wouldn't give it up.

Funny stuff. Well, I can tell you the Mia Farrow link is dead. And I quickly gave up trying to find it on the Wayback Machine. I can verify there was once an interview on the internet with Mia Farrow, and she told the guy she was going out Geocaching after the interview. You'll just have to trust me. :lol:

And not to be a nitpicker, but the guy who was the subject of the bump has 0 finds and zero hides. :huh: Unless he's like one of those GeoBain type guys that doesn't log on the website.

And not to be a nitpicker, but the guy who was the subject of the bump has 0 finds and zero hides. :huh: Unless he's like one of those GeoBain type guys that doesn't log on the website.

Ken Jennings actually does cache, under a different username. I know that username and decided not to share it because he likely created it for his privacy.

Ken Jennings actually does cache, under a different username. I know that username and decided not to share it because he likely created it for his privacy.

Well, I figured a Groundspeak Lackey knew what they were talking about. :anibad: Not like my name is really Mr. Yuck. Although it is a play on my real last name. :P

I'll bet he's really good at puzzle caches!

Has he hidden any caches? Got any links to his hides?

(let's see if we can trick MissJenn here. Shhhhh.....)

I don't think she's going to fall for it. It would be cool if we Rickrolled her though. That's the first time I heard about Dr. Solomon Geocaching, that's certainly interesting.

With all these links, I keep expecting to get rickrolled. :lol:

I don't think Rick Astley has ever geocached. He'd be good at it, though. No matter how tough it was to find the cache, he wouldn't give it up.

Speaking of Rick Astley...take a look at this series of caches, starting with GC2VDGQ...ending in GC2VDPN

I actually had a Together forever cache (without even thinking of Rick Astley, it was a cemetery cache), then about a year later, I put out a "Never gonna give you up cache" in the woods behind the cemetery. And when I tried to rickroll people on the Never gonna give you up cache page, the reviewer originally rejected it, because yougotrickrolled.com contained advertising. But kids built a fort within 20 feet of the final location of Together forever, and kids played paintball and dumped garbage in the vicinity of Never gonna give you up, so my little Rick Astley thing only lasted about a year at most. Both long since archived.

Nobody has mentioned Richard Garriott yet... Lord British? Creator of the Ultima series of games? Recently appeared on an episode of the Discovery Channel's Oddities? Son of an astronaut, one of the first civilian astronauts, put a cache on the space station (and took a TB there and back)? Has some of the coolest hides in Austin (that I wish I had done when I lived in Texas)? There's a famous geocacher for ya.

In his book he writes about puzzle caches and it sounded like he enjoys them. The best part of the chapter on geocaching in his book was how he was able to express the feelings I think we all when when we got our first find. It was clearly obvious that he wasn't just writing about geocaching, but *is* a geocacher.

OK. My Mother in Law (aged 68) is kinda whacky, and has been known to make crap up, and/or totally get names wrong. But here's what I have from driving her to the Grocery store today. Can anyone verify any of this stuff??

1. Rosie O'Donnell (universally hated by all men) Has talked about finding Geocaches on "The View", and found one in Central Park in NYC

• On that same episode of "The View", Whoppi Goldberg said she has found caches in California.

• Tim McGraw whipped out a Geocache container at the CMT awards, and threatened to hide tickets for next years CMT's inside of it.

What say you?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Yes Hugh Jackman is so awesome that he also geocaches.

http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2014/04/24/geocachings-new-celebrity-x-man/

Oh yeah, I read that blog when it's not in one of it's periods of dormancy (which it is now). But I have no clue who that is. The most famous is probably Mia Farrow, who seemingly blurted out of nowhere to a reporter she was going out Geocaching. And that was way back in the "everybody had a dedicated GPS unit" days. I'd imagine many more celebrities have tried Geocaching in the smartphone era.

I am unable to verify Rosie and Whoppi having discussed Geocaching on The View via Google, although it sounds very possible. Tim McGraw I suspect was totally fabricated. :ph34r:

I don't know if he's an active geocacher, but George Stephanopoulos seemed to have a pretty intimate knowledge of geocaching in a discussion with his co-anchors when "geocaching" won the contest to become the newest word in the Scrabble dictionary.

He could, as a journalist, have read up on it. Unlike 99% of Smartphone newbies. Oh no he di'nt just go there, did he? :P

I forgot about bumping this thread. In all this time (almost a week) if no one else in all the USA has verifed Rosie O'Donnell and Whoppi Goldberg talking about Geocaching on The View, and saying they've done it, I'm going to chalk this up to another Mother-in-Law fabricated story. Don't take pity on me, I've been hearing them for almost 30 years. :ph34r: