Wherigo......

Is anyone receiving werigo cache notification by Groundspeak email?

We did Delta68's today, published on the 5th, in Alcester, Warwickshire, and I've just realised that there has been no notification with the other new caches published over the last few days.

GSAK and the Icons for MM will need updating next........ :unsure:

H

We rely on emails for that - it's set for 25m radius so we get enough to be going on with......

Funny though, I've just dropped an email to TPTB asking why we get emails notifying us of new caches where the distance from home is different to that published on caches. Strange.

H

At last, after a couple of weeks getting to grip with the builder I have managed to upload a very basic cartidge and am waiting for reviewers to do their stuff. It wasn't the easiest thing to do and we still need a decent tutorial that covers all areas.

What is happening is that there is clearly a deal of effort going in to ironing out the bugs behind the scenes so hopefully the clue book will follow once the software is stable.

i have just read the posts for this Wherigo caching thingy,lots of new to me techie jargon words of even more things i dont know about so i doubt if we will ever be doing,finding,seeking,looking or searching or whatever the right word is for finding a cache like this is.patandjeff=bones1

I have just spent a little time trying to put together a cartridge and have a couple of questions about the Player. Am I correct in (1) assuming that the Player hunts out the GPS and that there is no way of telling the Player where to look for it and (2) there is no way, other than textual, of indicating where you are in the real world in relation to a Zone?

To explain my question (2) a bit better... Can you display the geographical locations of zones on the PDA Player and see where you are in relation to them?

I am sure I am missing something really elementary here! :)

FINALLY got my set up working after 2 months of trying! Going to try the tutorial tomorrow, then look at the builder. Hope it's not too technical :unsure:

I've downloaded the builder.....WOW!!!!...not an intuative piece of software is it.........I thought apps in Nuclear Power Plants were complicated!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Looked for the tutorial........any help as to where it is would be much appreciated.

Anyone who writes a 'Dummies Guide' for this is going to make money!

I just posted this in the Wherigo forums and thought I'd get the UK opinions on it. :unsure:

Thanks

I might be back asking lots of silly questions!

As a Wherigo Cartridge that's between you and the cache owner. As a Wherigo Cache, No unless the the cache owner Archived their cache. All physical containers in a Wherigo Cache have to meet the Geocache listing Guidelines. Which as there is already a pre-existing physical container at the location, that has proximity protection.

As for those looking for a guide to getting started with the builder have a look HERE

I've already said that this is a new slant on geocaching and looks very exciting.....which it is.........BUT after doing the tutorial to build a Wherigo cartridge........and this is my own personal opinion......with the amount of time it's going to take to bulid a decent cartridge I can't imagine many people sitting down and building them.

OK, the flexibility of what can be done in a cartridge is fantastic, i.e. you can set the clock running to find a clue once an area is entered etc. etc. But the effort involved in planning, building and testing a cartridge is huge

The number of Wherigo caches will increase but very slowly.........the reason that there are only six Wherigo caches is that cachers would rather be out finding caches than sitting in front of a PC buidling them.

To understand some of the philosophy behind Wherigo, it helps to have spent a little time playing games like Colossal Cave Adventure, or the Zork series, or their descendants.

Those games were very popular and addictive, and people wanted to make their own. But programming them from scratch is very hard, especially in languages like Fortran and C where you have to build all your data structures from the programming equivalent of sheet metal. So development kits emerged where the code was all written for you, and "all" you had to do was define events, objects, etc, and what would happen when things interacted with eash other.

Well, it turned out that those kits were all pretty hard to use as well. They need you to understand lots of concepts and define several layers of stuff before you can actually make cool things happen. The information problem involved is just... hard. So, while the Wherigo builder could undoubtedly do with some ergonomic improvements, the basic problem is more fundamental.

I suspect that to build a really big, complex cartridge, it'd be quicker to do it in the Lua programming language on which Wherigo is based, rather than the Builder. For one thing, when you need to make six similar-ish objects, you'd be able to copy and paste in them your text editor, rather than go through the graphical interface every time.

Could anyone please write an "Idiots Guide" to just getting the player intalled on our Medion MD 150

We've downloaded everything needed, the "builder", "player" and "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0" but we're getting very frustrated at not even being able to try out the tutorial. :anicute:

Ok Problem Sorted

By the time I got back from work Mr F.B had been busy sorting out the problem. It's seems I'd downloaded the Compact Framework for Service Pack 1 when I should have downloaded the one for Service Pack 2. Once that was done the player and games loaded without problem. If any one else is having the same problems I got it from here Compact Framework for Service Pack 2

Haven't yet tried out the tutorial as my brain hurts from trying to understand it all but hopefully things will be a bit straightforward from now on

Is anyone in the Midlands (South of Birmingham ish) working on developing one of these?

We're keen to try out someone else's but the nearest one is about an 80 mile drive :)

Just wondering whether to wait for some closer to home to be published...

Yes, whether I will get around to finishing the thing is a more pertinent question :)

Is anyone in the Midlands (South of Birmingham ish) working on developing one of these?

We're keen to try out someone else's but the nearest one is about an 80 mile drive :)

Just wondering whether to wait for some closer to home to be published...

Written a test cartridge and am still in the planning stages for the real thing, so may be a while yet. I know you come down our way occasionally.

It's a shame we didn't realize it was you on Friday until it was too late.

It's nice to see a celebration of the BBC Micro computer this week. I learnt all my BBC basic programming on one and a great way to learn programming.. but that was a longtime ago... Anyhooo I downloaded the Wherigo builder and started playing with it trying to remember my IF's from my THEN's.... You won't create a Wherigo in 5 minutes that's for sure! So I'm going to try a nice easy nice guided tour round our small town... load it into the GPS and if that works then I'll probably never do another one!!!! I mean, you have to try these things don't you!

Chris

It's nice to see a celebration of the BBC Micro computer this week. I learnt all my BBC basic programming on one and a great way to learn programming.. but that was a longtime ago.

Sorry to stray OT but that struck a chord with me as I too learned to programme on a BBC Micro and ran my office on it for some time. But where was the celebration, please?

Sorry to stray OT but that struck a chord with me as I too learned to programme on a BBC Micro and ran my office on it for some time. But where was the celebration, please?

Also sorry for OT- I remember player Chucky Egg on the schools BBC's and also Frak which got hold of a different version called X-Frak - enough said ;)

Edited by lakeuk

It's nice to see a celebration of the BBC Micro computer this week. I learnt all my BBC basic programming on one and a great way to learn programming.. but that was a longtime ago.

There was an article on the BBC TV news as well as on their news website - got the Acorn people and BBC people who were involved together. I would be nice to see a TV program about it. It was the machine that got a lot of people into computing. Without having done that basic programming I'd be lost looking at the Wherigo program!

Chris

It was the machine that got a lot of people into computing. Without having done that basic programming I'd be lost looking at the Wherigo program!

Chris

I wonder if it is pure coincidence that the tutorial cartridge on the Wherigo player is to do with space craft. My first ever program (apart from 10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD" ; 20 GOTO 10) was the Lunar Lander program that was printed in the BBC Micro user manual, where you had to land a space craft gently by using a rocket booster fired by using the space bar.

:) wow. i have been away from the forums for a while and when i come back there is a new cache type! unfortunetly i only have a basic garmen etrex so can't take part just yet.

does any one know what is the cheapest way to upgrade to a device which is compatable?

I have an orange SPV M500 phone which i got from ebay for £60 with ebay bluetooth holux gps £15. Wherigo seems to run ok on this. Has certainly done so with the test cartridge I have been playing with for a few weeks (must find time to finish and publish !)

Steve.

:) wow. i have been away from the forums for a while and when i come back there is a new cache type! unfortunetly i only have a basic garmen etrex so can't take part just yet.

does any one know what is the cheapest way to upgrade to a device which is compatable?

buy a pda with a gps on it

;) wow. i have been away from the forums for a while and when i come back there is a new cache type! unfortunetly i only have a basic garmen etrex so can't take part just yet.

buy a pda with a gps on it

ok that raises pobably an old question but which is the cheapest pda that will do everything a cacher needs?