Wherigo......

There are only 6 published Wherigo caches in the world (2 in the UK) which result in finding a proper geocache box ?

Why is this... what are your reasons ?

Why have the uk cachers not published more ?

They take quite a bit of work to set up. I'm in the process of resubmitting my old one using the revised software, but even though I have all the old text, photos, characters etc. it's going to be a while before I can complete it. You not only have to write what amounts to a computer game, you also have to go out and try it in the field, then return and tweak it (several times).

We're not going to see Wherigo cache saturation anywhere!

There are only 6 published Wherigo caches in the world (2 in the UK) which result in finding a proper geocache box ?

My "excuse " is cos I am struggling with the builder :blink:

I just can't get the map to set my zones :):)

And that's in Harrogate where I'm trying to set one just as a trial for myself.....

BUT

When I work ouit what i am doing wrong, and chances are it is something oh so simple

Well THEN... lets just say i have a couple of plans in mind

In the meantime

A big THANK YOU , for showing it can be done

Rest of the World = 4 ........... Is it 132 Countries ?

United Kingdom =2 ............One little island ?

I would say percentage wise that the UK have an unbeatable record of Wherigo's...unless of course you are besotted with numbers, and think that we should have hundreds.

Such is the way of life these days that some people HAVE to have more than anyone else.

Edited by Red Squadron

My "excuse " is cos I am struggling with the builder :blink:

I just can't get the map to set my zones :):)

And that's in Harrogate where I'm trying to set one just as a trial for myself.....

BUT

When I work ouit what i am doing wrong, and chances are it is something oh so simple

Well THEN... lets just say i have a couple of plans in mind

In the meantime

A big THANK YOU , for showing it can be done

Any help to any cacher who would like some pointers in the right direction... just shout !

Robin

Unless there's been an update since AOL messed up my internet connection, I'm having problems connecting my MDA Vario 2 to my BTGPS. Also the builder looks a bit confusing for me. The last time I did any sort of programming was 12 years ago!

I do know where I want the cartridge to take people when I've found a safe hiding place for a box.

I've just published one :laughing: .

I think it is a very exciting new element to Geocaching. I love being involved with the start of anything new, so I was very enthused to have a go.

I believe Groundspeak have done a superb job of providing the necessary tools to make it all work. The integration of the Builder, Simulator and Player make it relatively simple to put together a Wherigo cache.

I've still a lot to learn, but if anyone wants any help, do please email me.

Oh and thank you, Harrogate Hunters, for responding to my queries.

As a palm user I am ruled out of playing, unless someone with a ppc or garmin colorado wants to take me caching, or better yet lend me their kit permanently lol :laughing:

Well, unless someone's worked out how to get sounds out of a Colorado, it sounds like a PPC is going to the only way forward.... if you want to give a sound clue, it rules out the Garmins!

I am no technophobe, but it seems a shame for there to be a development in caching that is out of the reach of most people in the sport.

To be fair Wherigo is completely different to geocaching. It's just a Groundspeak venture that happens to be attractive to some geocachers and can be combined with caching.

Just to put the record straight.

I was asked by Rodz to delete my comments about Wherigo (the program) on his cache as he felt it was not appropriate for the cache page.

It also seems to be important to make sure you have the latest version of the cartridge and downloaded for your specific GC user ID.

I described the beta software as flaky at the best, tries to be too clever, it decides on the GPS for you and if it can't find it too bad.

This actually happened on Saturday when I tried Mr Dewdrops BT gps with my PDA, and it could not be found although it was able to find mine which was not suitable because of the well known static navigation problem.

It will be a long time before I try again, certainly not until the software is improved. I can live without it.

...was not suitable because of the well known static navigation problem.
As I hope to have a look for one of these soon, with my new PDA and bluetooth GPS, what is the well known static navigation problem? It's not well known in my house <_<

Most of these ppc devices think you will be in a fast moving vehicle and therefore the refresh rate for polling the GPS dispears when you move slowly.

There are fixes to allow you to use them when walking or when standing still.

After patchin my MIO i was able to use it to find caches rather than just fancy slow updating digital mapping.

The patches are available from manufacturers sites.

Moote knows more about this than me though

As I hope to have a look for one of these soon, with my new PDA and bluetooth GPS, what is the well known static navigation problem? It's not well known in my house <_<

I think it's the refresh rate - unless you walk or trot as some speed it struggles to update itself. I think Bob Smith could clarify or explain this better that I can.

I really liked the idea of this and was looking forward to trying it out.

Unfortunately, without my own PDA, (I forgot to bring it!) ;) I wasn't able to play around with the software whilst on site.

I am looking forward to a revist soon.

Sure its been covered elsewhere (though I can't find it) and I'm sure the best way is to try one, but (without giving the cache away) could someone who has done a Wherigo cache (or set one) run through it as I am finding it hard to understand what they are like. Thanks.

If you go to the Wherigo site there are examples and downloads that can be done anywhere in the world. Cheers MaxKim.

To be fair Wherigo is completely different to geocaching. It's just a Groundspeak venture that happens to be attractive to some geocachers and can be combined with caching.

Can someone explain to me in very simple terms the difference between a 'Wherigo' cache and a 'Traditional' cache :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who'd like to know the answer to the question but just don't want to look thick confused-smiley-17720.gif

Can someone explain to me in very simple terms the difference between a 'Wherigo' cache and a 'Traditional' cache :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who'd like to know the answer to the question but just don't want to look thick confused-smiley-17720.gif

Rather than having the instructions on the web page the information is contained in the 'cartridge'. Our Wherigo is more akin to a multi cache with the user being prompted to answer a few questions en route as the gps unit detects where you are. When all questions have been answered the final cache location becomes active.

We also highlight a few points of interest as and when they are in sight.

If/when we do another I'll try and push the technology further and do things which can't be achieved with a normal multi...

There are lots of variations but heres a go.

You turn up at a set of co ordinates and as you reach them the screen on your Pocket PC pops up and says "you are at the statue of john smith a famous space pilot" What year did he die ?

An arrow appears on the screen you follow it and reach another site and so on.

In the end you find a 355mm film canister shoved in a ivy coverd bush and sign the log.

Its possible to have sound files talk to you or images appear all tied to gps locations (and times i believe).

The possibilities for guiding people arround tourist attractions linked to gps locations is endless,

If youve done an audio tour image an audio tour thats triggered when you walk into the location rather than by keying a number on a notice board. The reward for going to all the locations is a cache container

Rather than having the instructions on the web page the information is contained in the 'cartridge'. Our Wherigo is more akin to a multi cache with the user being prompted to answer a few questions en route as the gps unit detects where you are. When all questions have been answered the final cache location becomes active.

We also highlight a few points of interest as and when they are in sight.

If/when we do another I'll try and push the technology further and do things which can't be achieved with a normal multi...

Ah! OK, thanks, now I understand and the need for the 'cartridge'. Sounds as if eventually we'll all need a Colorado :rolleyes: Or can the cartridge be downloaded on to PDA's, PC's etc?

Edited to add..........OK, no need to answer just looked at the Wherigo web site.

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

Am I correct in saying a Wherigo cache does not have to be a physical cache, nor one published as such on the GC pages?

To qualify as a geocache it has to have a physical cache with a log book at the end. There are other Wherigo 'cartridges' available which are just tours or puzzles.

Am I correct in saying a Wherigo cache does not have to be a physical cache, nor one published as such on the GC pages?

There is a difference between a Wherigo Cartridge and a Wherigo cache in that one is just played to the end and the other is played to find a Geocache

A Wherigo Cartridge is something you just play, and which you can log as completed on the Wherigo Site

A Wherigo Cache is a Wherigo Cartridge with a Physical container at the end with a log to sign. The physical container of Wherigo Cache must meet all the guidelines for a normal Geocache. You can log a completed on the Wherigo Site and also log a find to the cache page on GC and get a nice shiny New Icon

There is a difference between a Wherigo Cartridge and a Wherigo cache in that one is just played to the end and the other is played to find a Geocache

A Wherigo Cartridge is something you just play, and which you can log as completed on the Wherigo Site

A Wherigo Cache is a Wherigo Cartridge with a Physical container at the end with a log to sign. The physical container of Wherigo Cache must meet all the guidelines for a normal Geocache. You can log a completed on the Wherigo Site and also log a find to the cache page on GC and get a nice shiny New Icon

So with a Wherigo cache I assume that the waypoints still have to be logged as part of the cache listing!

I downloaded one of the cartridges, a .gwc file, and looked up the file extension, 'ww.Golfwits.com'. I assume that this functionality was originally created for golfers :rolleyes:

Just a guess

Groundspeak

Wherigo

Cartridge

Any exisitng multicache could be converted to this type just use the GPX file as the basis as you will have the child waypoints allready programmed <_<

So with a Wherigo cache I assume that the waypoints still have to be logged as part of the cache listing!

I wouldn't think so: my Wherigo had varying waypoints depending on (easy) puzzles you solve along the way, (virtual) items you pick up, characters you "talk" to. A lot of the waypoints are only a few yards apart. There's no reason to specify a minimum separation or worry about overlapping with geocaches along the way as the whole thing is self-contained and no GPS coordinates are visible. Very different from a multicache in many ways.

Any exisitng multicache could be converted to this type just use the GPX file as the basis as you will have the child waypoints allready programmed :rolleyes:

You could set up a very basic one like this, but it would be a bit lame. It would deserve logs like "can't see why this wasn't just a multicache"! It's the interactive aspect that sets the Wherigo apart.

Any exisitng multicache could be converted to this type just use the GPX file as the basis as you will have the child waypoints allready programmed :rolleyes:

You could set up a very basic one like this, but it would be a bit lame. It would deserve logs like "can't see why this wasn't just a multicache"! It's the interactive aspect that sets the Wherigo apart.

Completely agree the one im working on uses an existing multi (Tibberton Tourist trail) but we are adding more background and hopefully interactive elements such as items to be picked up etc it has however saved a lot of time in getting the basic stages into the cartridge.

The main advantage i see over any multi's is that it can remove any missing stage issues.

Now I understand what Wherigo is and what I've been reading above, personally, I think this is an exciting new slant to the sport/pastime/hobby/headache :rolleyes:

I know it's been mentioned that not having the technology excludes people from doing a 'Wherigo' cache but so does using a Geko 201 in heavy foilage!........been there, done that, bought a 60Csx <_< Now it looks like I'll have to upgrade again!

:rolleyes: I can't do really hard puzzle caches but people still publish them! <_<

I think its a great addition to the game! I've just borrowed a friends spare PDA and got it all installed with a view to get out to one soon. Will also try and get my creative juices flowing and set one at somepoint!!

Just like any Geocache, all physical Waypoints have to be posted to the Wherigo Cache page as hidden Additional Waypoints. The Cartridge has to be on the Wherigo site, and actively linked to from the Wherigo cache page, either using the owners web site link or a active link on the page.

Just like any Geocache, all physical Waypoints have to be posted to the Wherigo Cache page as hidden Additional Waypoints. The Cartridge has to be on the Wherigo site, and actively linked to from the Wherigo cache page, either using the owners web site link or a active link on the page.

Sounds very complicated!

Sounds very complicated!

Hardly any more complicated than any existing Multi cache. The only difference is a link to the Wherigo cartridge.

Just loaded the player to my Mio 550 but can't run it because it tells me I need a newer version of microsoft.NET for it.

Googled microsoft.NET and there seems to be several to choose from, but which one?

Suggestions please.

Thanks, Henry

Just loaded the player to my Mio 550 but can't run it because it tells me I need a newer version of microsoft.NET for it.

Googled microsoft.NET and there seems to be several to choose from, but which one?

Suggestions please.

Thanks, Henry

If I've got things right B) there is a direct link from the Wherigo site to download microsoft.NET so which should be the latest version :huh:

Edited to add a link to the Wherigo site page with the download link

Edited by Deceangi

Help!

I thought I'd made good progress for a techie weakling but....

I've updated to a newer version of Microsoft.NET, installed the Wherigo player, had a bit of a go with the tutorial (outside in the dark last night!) downloaded a cache cartridge BUT it doesn't appear on my Mio550, it comes up with a message that it 'cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of it's components cannot be found.'

Any ideas?

Sounds very complicated!

Hardly any more complicated than any existing Multi cache. The only difference is a link to the Wherigo cartridge.

and I bet a lot easier than some of those bloomin' PUZZLE caches too! :laughing: