Magellan Crossover users help please

Just picked up a 2200t knowing it wouldn't be useful for caching, but hoping it could get me to the area well enough. It Doesn't. As far as a street navigator it is decent(i am not a big fan of the graphics). So now I am thinking of doing the $80 map upgrade and crossover upgrade. It looks to be a pretty good deal. So here are a few questions I have before I plop down the $80 extra.

1.) has anybody done the new upgrade yet? The maps look much improved. How do you like it?

2.) I have Topo 4.20 would I want to load that or are the topo maps that come with the upgrade better?

3.) Anyone using a screenshield? How does it effect the touchscreen. I have an invisishield on all my GPS's and am reluctant not to have one on.

4.) Where can I locate the rubber Sports Guard? Magellan says they are backordered and I can't find them anywhere else.

5.) Can you type in Lon and Lat numbers once it is upgraded?

Thanks for your replies.

I had a Crossover for a while. It's not a bad unit. I traded mine in for a Garmin because the current map set on the Crossover is about 4 years old whereas the Garmins are about 1-2 years.

When I updated the Crossover with the latest firmware update the Vehicle Nav system was very similar to the Maestro line of Magellan GPSr. The Vehicle Nav was as good as anything else I have used (Garmin 650 and Garmin 360). The graphics are very much updated compared to the original firmware.

The Offroad and Marine Nav have not been updated yet, although I have been advised of a firmware update coming in March. If you have Topo maps you'll want to load them as the base map is just OK, not great.

All in all I think if Magellan would update the Offroad and Marine portions and put the latest maps onboard I think they would have a winner and I would certainly consider buying another one. Costco had these at $229 and at that price it's a great Vehicle nav unit and an OK geocache/boating unit.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, much improved

2. Yes load them, but you may need some assistance in getting these loaded

3. Didn't have a screen shield but if you're going off road with it I would recommend one. Lots of places make them.

4. The rubber sports guard, well, it was OK but I don't think it would really give you a lot of protection. It will protect against basic scratches to the case and all that. There are probably better cases you could get for that.

5. Yes

I have a CrossoverGPS and I love it! It has it's downfalls, but it has workarounds as well. I just ordered the new Crossover Maps for $79 from Magellan. I'm hoping the CD that I get has newer firmware with some of the downfalls fixed. I would definately recommend the unit.

JetSkier

So #'s 1, 4, and 5 are answered which leaves #2 and #3 and I need to change #2 a little.

Revised question.

2.) Seems like people have been able to load regular topo to the sd card. But the new update requires the sd slot be used by the street maps. anyway to get better topo on the unit itself? It would be annoying to have to switch out cards everytime I left the pavement, but it's not a dealbreaker, just like to know what I'm getting into.

3.) Can a screen protector be used, or will it make the touchscreen difficult to use?

JetSkier I'll wait for a review of the new update from you before I purchase. Hopefully magellan get the software and SD card to you in a timely manner.

I'll let you know how the update works out. As for #2 (topo), I live in Florida so Topo doesn't really do me any good. However, you can have a different region selected in Outdoor mode than you do in Vehicle Nav mode. That means you should be able to keep you topo SD card loaded. When in Vehicle mode, it'll be set for the USA, but when you switch to Outdoor mode, it'll load your Topo from the SD card.

JetSkier

I'll let you know how the update works out. As for #2 (topo), I live in Florida so Topo doesn't really do me any good. However, you can have a different region selected in Outdoor mode than you do in Vehicle Nav mode. That means you should be able to keep you topo SD card loaded. When in Vehicle mode, it'll be set for the USA, but when you switch to Outdoor mode, it'll load your Topo from the SD card.

JetSkier

Yeah, but with the new map update the SD card slot is used by the new maps. This means if I want the new Topo I'll have to remove the new maps and put in a SD card with the topo. I called and asked magellan about the SD card having any space on it, and they replied it was completely full. Now I do trust them as far as I can throw a 67 Buick, but right now that's all the info I have to go off.

What do you mean by the "new map update"? The Vehicle Nav maps should all be internal and shouldn't use an SD card. At least thats what the Crossover does. The update that I just bought is a CD that should update the internal maps on the unit. My SD card is free for whatever I need it for.

JetSkier

Oh Crap! I missed that. I just thought, as any normal person would, that the upgrade CD would upgrade the maps INTERNALLY so I could still have my mp3's, photos and waypoint files at the ready. Leave it to Magellan to screw that up!

JetSkier

Yeah I thought it was strange myself. But since you can't play mp3's or view photos while navigating it didn't really bother me too much. My only concern is in regards to topo, having to switch out cards for the more detailed topo is a little annoying. Is there any free interanal space on the unit?

Fedex just delivered my update right after I posted last. There seems to be about 500mb free on the SD card. The maps for my area are pretty much up-to-date now. There is a slew of new POIs. Restaurants and Gas Stations are all up-to-date now. It installed firmware version 2.14 (which I already had installed) and then it installed version 2.36. They didn't touch the outdoor mode. Mine still reads 1.52 even though the web site has version 1.68 listed. I'm pretty sure I installed that 1.68, but I guess when I re-installed 2.14, it may have re-installed version 1.52 of Outdoor mode. Maybe I'll apply that 1.68 to see if it only installs outdoor.exe. The new maps are NOT read in outdoor mode, it still uses the internal detailed maps. Not a big deal since I only really need detailed maps in Nav mode.

I hope this info helps!

JetSkier

This is all very strange. Where did you order the CD for new maps. If I go to the Magellan support page and enter Crossover I am directed to this support page https://www.magellangps.com/support/product.asp where there is no mention of a CD for updates.

That would be really sad if Magellan required the SD card for new maps. I guess it's better than no maps but why not overload the internal maps? I guess it's possible the internal maps are not in flash memory and cannot be over written.

This is all very strange. Where did you order the CD for new maps. If I go to the Magellan support page and enter Crossover I am directed to this support page https://www.magellangps.com/support/product.asp where there is no mention of a CD for updates.

That would be really sad if Magellan required the SD card for new maps. I guess it's better than no maps but why not overload the internal maps? I guess it's possible the internal maps are not in flash memory and cannot be over written.

My guess is that the new maps (1.5gb) are too large to put on the internal memory along with topo and OS. I think a better implementation would be to overwrite the street maps and the topo maps on the internal memory with the newer street maps and give you the topo on the sd card. But I'm sure there is some logic, however flawed to why they did this.

You have to go to Products then Maps & Software. It's labelled "New" in the Street Maps section. I agree that it should be in the support section for the CrossoverGPS as well.

JetSkier

You have to go to Products then Maps & Software. It's labelled "New" in the Street Maps section. I agree that it should be in the support section for the CrossoverGPS as well.

JetSkier

It's interesting but it would appear, from my limited knowledge, that the firmware update is not much different than the 2.14 which you can download. Personally I wouldn't pay the $79 for new maps I would expect those maps to be loaded onto any new Crossover purchased now or offered for free for purchases in the last 30-60 days. At $229 (Costco Price) the Crossover is a good deal but with the additional $80 in maps that puts the Crossover at just over $300 and IMHO not as good of a deal.

The Crossover is a great concept in mobile GPS but I feel that is just falls a little short of what it could be. It could be a great device if Magellan would work on getting a consistent GUI across all navigation modes and the maps need to be up to date.

It's interesting but it would appear, from my limited knowledge, that the firmware update is not much different than the 2.14 which you can download. Personally I wouldn't pay the $79 for new maps I would expect those maps to be loaded onto any new Crossover purchased now or offered for free for purchases in the last 30-60 days. At $229 (Costco Price) the Crossover is a good deal but with the additional $80 in maps that puts the Crossover at just over $300 and IMHO not as good of a deal.

The Crossover is a great concept in mobile GPS but I feel that is just falls a little short of what it could be. It could be a great device if Magellan would work on getting a consistent GUI across all navigation modes and the maps need to be up to date.

Funny you mentioned Costco because they aren't selling them anymore. They weren't on the site once the update was available on magellan's site. I'm wondering if they sent what they had left back to magellan for the updates.

I don't think any mapping company out there is going to give "Free" map updates just because you purchased their product. Selling new maps is probably a big part of their total sales. I don't mind buying map updates as long as they are actually up to date! This update seems to be and I'm happy with it. I agree that the UI should be the same between Nav mode and Outdoor mode, but I guess they sell more Nav units than Outdoor units so that's where they placed their resources. I also agree that if you buy a new CrossoverGPS right now or within the last 30 days, you should be eligible for that update for free. I purchased my CrossoverGPS back in October so I don't feel like I've been cheated.

JetSkier

I don't think any mapping company out there is going to give "Free" map updates just because you purchased their product. Selling new maps is probably a big part of their total sales. I don't mind buying map updates as long as they are actually up to date! This update seems to be and I'm happy with it. I agree that the UI should be the same between Nav mode and Outdoor mode, but I guess they sell more Nav units than Outdoor units so that's where they placed their resources. I also agree that if you buy a new CrossoverGPS right now or within the last 30 days, you should be eligible for that update for free. I purchased my CrossoverGPS back in October so I don't feel like I've been cheated.

JetSkier

I agree that not all updates should be free but if there are new maps I would assume that buying a unit today I would get the newest maps available. This is one reason I took back the Crossover because the maps weren't as current as were available on the Maestro models.

I think the main issue with any GPS from any manufacturer is that all too often these units are a "work in progress". I don't wany to buy something and hope that there will be firmware updates somewhere down the road. I undestand that there needs to be "bug" fixes but in the case of the Crossover I think there are more than bug fixes that need to go into that product.

Funny you mentioned Costco because they aren't selling them anymore. They weren't on the site once the update was available on magellan's site. I'm wondering if they sent what they had left back to magellan for the updates.

That's interesting. I know there were on there within the last 7-10 days. Oh well. I'll wait for Magellan to bring out the Crossover 2 before I reinvest in that model. I had such high hopes for it too.

That's interesting. I know there were on there within the last 7-10 days. Oh well. I'll wait for Magellan to bring out the Crossover 2 before I reinvest in that model. I had such high hopes for it too.

Or out of stock. I bought one in late Nov, near Christmas they weren't showing them on the web site.

Then after the 1st of the year they reappearred. My guess is Costco buys X numbers of any product

then later buys (or not) X amount gain. For restock the item disappears until it is back in stock.

It would appear that Costco has restocked the Crossover. It's back on the web site at $229. I wonder what maps and firmware are coming on it now?

I noticed that as well. I talked to Magellan about when units with the new maps would be available and they as usual were less then informative. They basically told me there was no way to tell. I think instead of plopping down another $96 for the update I'll wait for awhile and try to sell my 2200t for $100 and buy from costco.com if the new maps get put on internally. In the meantime I'll just route close with the 2200t and use the explorist 500 to get to the cache.

I can now answer #3 for myself.

Just installed the Invisible Shield and the touchscreen works fine.

I just bought a Magellan Crossover, it has all the features I was looking for in a gps, ie. Marine, Auto (hear your next turn) and Handheld (waterproof). Now the problems begin. Although, the preloaded driving maps are adequate, the preloaded topographical map shows that I'm in the middle of the harbor (about 500 meters off). While I was registering my product,I realized I only have firmware version 1.62 and fortunately there are two updates for me to download on their website (version 1.68 update and firmware version 2.14). I click the "I want to download this update" button and the website brings me to their technical support page.I try several times and finally while I'm in the customer support page I fill out the customer support FORM, asking me to give my email

address and explain what the problem is. The message gets sent to my email address marked as undeliverable.

I suspect something is wrong with my email account, no problem, I'll just call them. Customer support number, technical support (4), enter model type(3) crossover series(1) "your call cannot be completed at this time, please try your call again later". Alright, now I'm worried, I cannot update my $450 gps and I cannot contact Magellan. I contact the sales department who tell me to contact the technical department and they tell me the number is working, but they can't redirect my call. I've tried more than 10 times, spoken to 6 different sales reps, each one telling me that the tech support number is working, one sales rep while giggling tells me that he's calling the tech support to prove the number works while I'm on the line with him, it rings and he says that he's put on hold. Why shouldn't I believe him? I get off the line with the sales rep feeling foolish and call the technical support again, only to hear the same recorded message.

To sum up:

- cannot download the proper updates

- cannot contact customer support (phone)

- cannot contact Magellan(anyone) via their website

- cannot contact Magellan e-mail

I find it unbelievable that this product or Magellan has received any good reviews. Is Magellan writing praise reviews about its products in forums like this one?

I've had this product for less than 3 days. If anyone wants to buy a nearly brand new Magellan Crossover for really cheap e-mail me: richard3030303030@yahoo.ca. I'll even pay the shipping costs to get me as far away from Magellan as I possibly can get, looks like I'll need a Garmin or a Tomtom.

I just bought a Magellan Crossover, it has all the features I was looking for in a gps, ie. Marine, Auto (hear your next turn) and Handheld (waterproof). Now the problems begin. Although, the preloaded driving maps are adequate, the preloaded topographical map shows that I'm in the middle of the harbor (about 500 meters off). While I was registering my product,I realized I only have firmware version 1.62 and fortunately there are two updates for me to download on their website (version 1.68 update and firmware version 2.14). I click the "I want to download this update" button and the website brings me to their technical support page.I try several times and finally while I'm in the customer support page I fill out the customer support FORM, asking me to give my email

address and explain what the problem is. The message gets sent to my email address marked as undeliverable.

I suspect something is wrong with my email account, no problem, I'll just call them. Customer support number, technical support (4), enter model type(3) crossover series(1) "your call cannot be completed at this time, please try your call again later". Alright, now I'm worried, I cannot update my $450 gps and I cannot contact Magellan. I contact the sales department who tell me to contact the technical department and they tell me the number is working, but they can't redirect my call. I've tried more than 10 times, spoken to 6 different sales reps, each one telling me that the tech support number is working, one sales rep while giggling tells me that he's calling the tech support to prove the number works while I'm on the line with him, it rings and he says that he's put on hold. Why shouldn't I believe him? I get off the line with the sales rep feeling foolish and call the technical support again, only to hear the same recorded message.

To sum up:

- cannot download the proper updates

- cannot contact customer support (phone)

- cannot contact Magellan(anyone) via their website

- cannot contact Magellan e-mail

I find it unbelievable that this product or Magellan has received any good reviews. Is Magellan writing praise reviews about its products in forums like this one?

I've had this product for less than 3 days. If anyone wants to buy a nearly brand new Magellan Crossover for really cheap e-mail me: richard3030303030@yahoo.ca. I'll even pay the shipping costs to get me as far away from Magellan as I possibly can get, looks like I'll need a Garmin or a Tomtom.

To download the new firmware you need to enter the appropriate code when it asks you for the firmware version. Here is what I was told when I had the same problem (PS I sent in an email to Magellan Support and got a very quick response )

Our Sincere apologies for the delay in responding your email.

I understand from your mail that, you are unable to upgrade the firmware

version of your unit.

I would like to inform you that you need to enter the version number as 1.68

instead of 1.62.03. This is a temporary work-around, the website will be

fixed, but may take some time. If you have further queries, please get back

to us.

I don't believe that the Topo map problem you are experiencing will be solved by the firmware update. I never say that sort of problem but I didn't use the Topo maps all the much.

PS - $450 seems a bit high for a Crossover. I got mine from Costco for much less. I know Costco doesn't have them online any more but $450 just seems expensive.

Firmware 2.14 will overwrite the 1.68 update. Here's how to get to the download of 2.14... Go to Support, select the Crossover in the dropdown, then select North America (I'm assuming NA) and press Submit. Scroll down and click on the link for version 2.14. Then it will ask which version you already have. Type in 2.0 and that should take you to the 2.14 download screen.

JetSkier

Firmware 2.14 will overwrite the 1.68 update. Here's how to get to the download of 2.14... Go to Support, select the Crossover in the dropdown, then select North America (I'm assuming NA) and press Submit. Scroll down and click on the link for version 2.14. Then it will ask which version you already have. Type in 2.0 and that should take you to the 2.14 download screen.

JetSkier

Thank you Jetskier and coyboyshootist.

However, I shouldn't have to be seeking help in an internet forum. If Magellan can't manage to operate their website competently (ie. 'type 2.0 when they mean 1.64, ask Maggie question returned to sender's email), how can they possibly manage satellites? Not to mention the non existent technical department and being treated rudely by their sales department. :)

Only now do I find the Magellan Stinks thread and something about Magellan not being WAAS capable. No, I've had it with Magellan...I give up. $250 (MSRP $450) is definitely not worth the hassle.

JetSkier

Man what a pain! Thanks to google and this forum I figured out how to get my 1.62.03.02 updated! Can I skip the 1.68 update? I am having a problem getting the 1.68 the magellin site gets me the 2.14 and skips the 1.68. Can I load it?

Thanks