Cache with the most DNFs

In another thread on logging DNFs I wondered which cache had the most DNFs.

There are lots of caches which have not yet been found but for a cache to achieve large number of DNFs it has to be very difficult to find and be in a location where there are lots of cachers looking for it. When I first started reading the forms I became aware of "Shelter II", a devilish hide Indianapolis that spawned two videos from cachers attempting to find it. The same cacher (IndyMagicMan) outdid himself with Shelter III

It was published on 4/29/2006, has had only 2 finds, and 186 logged DNFs.

Are there any others that rival this one; That is a cache with a 5 difficulty but with a low terrain rating.

I have been thinking of placing a very difficult hide locally but for the most part there are very few caches in the area with high difficulty ratings so I'm wondering how well it would be received.

Here's one with a nearly 50% recorded DNF rate. The real number is higher as some DNF's are not recorded and some multiple trips are combined into a single log and other DNFs were eventually turned into finds. Another factor to consider is that this cache has never been missing or moved and is certainly not a micro.

Liars Cache (PA)

There are lots of caches which have not yet been found but for a cache to achieve large number of DNFs it has to be very difficult to find and be in a location where there are lots of cachers looking for it. When I first started reading the forms I became aware of "Shelter II", a devilish hide Indianapolis that spawned two videos from cachers attempting to find it. The same cacher (IndyMagicMan) outdid himself with Shelter III

Are there any others that rival this one; That is a cache with a 5 difficulty but with a low terrain rating.

I have been thinking of placing a very difficult hide locally but for the most part there are very few caches in the area with high difficulty ratings so I'm wondering how well it would be received.

That is a great question, but likely impossible to answer even somewhat accurately, because, for many cachers, it is taboo or near-taboo to log DNFs, and the anti-DNF sentiments/customs also wary widely from region to region. So, all in all, it will likely be hard to get an accurate picture.

That is a great question, but likely impossible to answer even somewhat accurately, because, for many cachers, it is taboo or near-taboo to log DNFs, and the anti-DNF sentiments/customs also wary widely from region to region. So, all in all, it will likely be hard to get an accurate picture.

First sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I know better but just wasn't paying enough attention to where I was.

Do you really think that anti-DNF sentiments/customs vary that much, especially in more urban areas which would likely have really difficult but accessible caches visited by lots of cachers. I would think that once a cache gets a reputation as being really difficult, anti-DNF sentiments change and logging a DNF almost becomes a badge of honor. The logs on these kinds of caches are usually much more interesting than on caches which everybody that looks for it seems to find.

Agree that if a cache has a reputation of being tough, folks are more likely to admit a DNF. I feel hesitation in being the first to log a DNF after 10 or 20 straight finds, but it could be missing and if not, people can take delight in telling me my map was wrong. :D

Brian,

The link above say it can only be view by a site administrator.

The Alluvial material link works fine for me. Must have been an unexplained website hiccup. Drove past it many times, but was always too time constrained to stop. Sounds like an outstanding cache. Maybe someday. :)

This Cache (GCGG7W) may only have 2 DNF's, but it's been out for more than 4 years with no finds yet.

A terrain difficulty of 5 might have a lot to do with that. I'm more interested in caches which have a high difficulty rating but a terrain of 2 or less. There are dozens of caches in very remote places that nobody has found, but that's because nobody is looking for it. The beauty of the Shelter II/III caches is that they're very accessible, which allows lots of people to search for them, yet very few people have success.

This Cache (GCGG7W) may only have 2 DNF's, but it's been out for more than 4 years with no finds yet.

A terrain difficulty of 5 might have a lot to do with that. I'm more interested in caches which have a high difficulty rating but a terrain of 2 or less. There are dozens of caches in very remote places that nobody has found, but that's because nobody is looking for it. The beauty of the Shelter II/III caches is that they're very accessible, which allows lots of people to search for them, yet very few people have success.

Now that one looks like fun. I don't know what what climbing skills are though. It has been a long time since I repelled.