Topping Out?

Moss Trooper

You don't have to visit it has been pointed out, but how do you know in advance if it is worth visiting or not?

I don't know. At least tell me what type of cache I would not consider worth visiting.

Also many people feel compelled to 'tidy up' local caches.

That's the nub of many "quality" problems. If you're playing the "keep unfound caches away" game you have to accept that you're being totally non-selective and there will be caches on the list that aren't your favourite type. It doesn't mean that they're junk though.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

nub of many "quality" problems. If you're playing the "keep unfound caches away" game

Once we realised this and started being more selective caching became more enjoyable for all of us. :D

But caches you dont like can create 0.1 exclusion zones for caches you do like :laughing:

I hope that V2 helps adress the filtering and search functions on this site, to help us all choose to do the caches we like and avoid the types we dont like. :D

Personally I have always thought that there should be a limit to the number of caches placed. Say about 20 for each caching team.

Many of the best caches I have visited have been placed by cachers who own more than 20 caches.

All of the worst caches I have visited have been placed by cachers who own considerably less than 20 caches.

The same usually rings true for maintenance in my experience.

Placing quality caches is about knowing your local area. People who walk a lot will always know loads of places to put good caches through experience. The danger is when someone gets hooked and doesn't know their patch. That's when you get a sandwich box slung in a hedge outside their house.

Just a general reply. Its only certain parts of the country (UK that is) that could be considered as topping out. NW England is busy. But vast swathes of Wales, Scotland and Anglia are comparatively cacheless! But even then, there is still room for inventive, intriguing and interesting (that's a lot of i words) caches in busy cache areas. The best caches end up being discussed at the events and the word passed round that certain ones are especially worth visiting.

Cachers also do lists of their favourite caches (I've got one myself) and when I browse other people's favourite lists I find this a good way to find caches that are worth doing. So I don't think we're topping out. Yes - we'll get some ordinary caches placed. A lot of them probably. But the hardened and enthusiastic cacher is always scheming away behind the scenes, trying to plan a new style of hunt. It is those ones that we wait for and enjoy the most. Don't be afraid to place the mystery caches, it doesn't have to be a mental style puzzle...