Sharing Hardware

Tydirium

So I'm building a cartridge and I know that some people may want to play it and unlock it on Wherigo.com, but they don't have the proper hardware to do so. The cartridge sets itself to complete and saves itself at the end (allowing for unlock upload). If I downloaded the cartridge, is that cartridge "tagged" with my account name somehow? So if anther person runs it, they can't use the file to unlock with their account? I guess what I'm asking is if I plan on letting someone borrow my PPC do they need to download the cartridge them self (with their own account) and supply it to me so that the saved file (which I will have to give them off the PPC) will work properly?

Thanks

I have seen my handle in the compiled source of every compiled cartridge I downloaded. I would think there is some reason for that, but do not know.

Groundspeak might need to comment on this one.

So, can a team of people go out with one device and upload the same completed cartridge under their individual user accounts?

I get the feeling from what I've seen so far that to use the save file for your account, your account has to be the one that downloads the cartridge. I assume that all unlock codes are unique on a per user AND cartridge basis. It would just be nice to know before hand so that I can make sure people down load the cartridge them self and email it to me or something before we head out to do it.

Hopefully someone official can get back to us on this one.

So, can a team of people go out with one device and upload the same completed cartridge under their individual user accounts?

It should work. Let me know if it doesn't. The idea is that the user uploading the save file gets an "assist" in the system. It's marked in the back-end with the original owner for the save file but the other user can still mark it as complete. I was able to test this with two of my accounts.

For the unlock code you just need to enter the username who downloaded the original cartridge for it to unlock.

I doubt unlock codes are unique per user account. In fact, I'd pretty much wager on it.

Unlock codes are generated by user account. They are, in fact, unique.

Huh. I played "The Arena" on my computer, then watched as someone downloaded it to hers and played it. The two codes were exactly the same. Perhaps I'm not thinking of the same thing?

Hmm...so I guess I'll have the person that's going to run through the cartridge (it is a geocache) download and email me the file. I'll then put it on my PPC and meet up with them. They run through it, find the cache and get their smiley. I then take the saved game file, email it to them and have them upload it? Or is this the long way of doing it?

I just think that seems to be the way to go. That way it is their account downloading/uploading and everything should fall into place.

Downloaded from my account, and went on out to the forrest, together with my doughter.

Back home, I could upload my game, but found no way to upload onto her account.

After downloading a new file, we got the possibility to upload my file also to her account.

So, it looks like you need to download on each account, but you could upload the very same file to different accounts.