The Long Path?

childofatom

I don't know of any book mark list, but I know Aircrash 1 and Aircrash 3 are a short detour off the LP. Virtuals, but very worthwhile. The view on the way to AC3 is outstanding (if you approach High Peak from the south).

I don't have my Catskill map in front of me at the moment, but if my memory is correct, the LP follows the Escarpment trail and there are a bunch along the Escarpment, mostly close to the North Lake area.

If you haven't already, I suggest you order a set of the Catskill maps from nynjtc and you can cross reference the GC topo maps with the Catskill maps. Like Brian said the North/South Lakes area is breathtaking, with caches going as far as you can handle. You can just walk across the big grey bridge and find the start of the trail right on the other side at Fort Lee. :rolleyes:

Are you getting a group together for this? I would love to join you!

As long as nothing conflicts on my calendar, I would definitely be interested in joining a group for a long path hike! I just noticed the original post was made 2+ years ago, but if someone else organizes something, count me in..

Bill

hey, that's my bookmark list! :)

Of course, replying to the old OP, my bookmark list of long path caches are only for caches at the southern end of the trail for now. I live in Rockland so haven't made it up to the other parts of the long path north of Harriman State Park.

I could always expand my list remotely, just by looking at the GC maps, and based on a rough idea of where the LP runs further north. I don't poses the trail maps for those areas and don't own the very good book put out by the NJNY trail conference that covers the LP end to end. Every once in a while I might see a cache that has a description that says it is right near the LP trail so I add them to the bookmark. but my favorite way of adding to the list, and most reliable, is from first hand knowledge.

PS, for anyone that is interested. I've been adding my tracklogs of my Long Path hikes to OSM. I have a fair amount done between the GW and Harriman. My goal would be to complete that whole section up to Central Valley. Of course, I'll find all those caches, and maybe place a few, along the way.