Where did you first hear about geocaching?

Phil&Phil2008

In November 2004 my mom was reading the Parade magazine that we get with the Sunday paper, when she saw an article on it. She read it and then gave the story to me. I read it and thought it sounded cool, so the day after Thanksgiving we went to Target and got a yellow eTrex that was on sale, and the day after that we found our first cache.

I discovered geoaching when my old Garmin GPS 12 died on me. ;) I decided I would look around on the internet to see what the modern equivalent would be. The Garmin GPSmap 60CSX took my fancy as it had some very good reviews although it had many features that I did not have a clue as to what they were. Geocaching being one of them, ;) but in the end it was the colour screen and a bundle with maps and accessories on Ebay from America cheaper that I could buy the GPS on its own in the UK that made up my mind. When it arrived I checked out Geocaching on the internet and discovered where my local caches were. That was me hooked. ;)B) At twice the price of my old GPS was my new one worth it? Absolutely I have used it more in the last six months than my old one in the ten years I had it.

I was doing my ususal google search and up popped gc.com.Did my 1st 40 caches in London without a gps,then decided this was how to spend my weekends getting AWAY from the TV.(I still recorded the soccer matches though!)

And what a great way of doing a lot of excercising along the way.I hadn't realised that there's more to this than just walking for miles.I've done my fair share of scrambling too.....I LUV IT!!! :D:D

Edited by currykev

I saw an ad in one of the local newspapers about a free GPS class in one of the neighboring towns. We did not own a GPSr but decided to go anyway. It was fun....met some interesting people and we got hooked. Shortly after, I bought a new Magellan Meridan Gold, which I still have...great unit. Bought a Magellan Sportrak Pro as a backup but soon gave it to my daughter as she got hooked as well. Great unit as well. Couple of months ago, I bought a new Garmin Venture HC. Wonderful unit. Keeping the Magellan Gold as a backup. Just bought a new Garmin Legend HCX for my daughter as a gift. I use my Venture for geocaching and hiking. Great little unit...I am very pleased. I often wonder what I did before they made GPSr's.....lol

Saw Geocaching first when I was on a flight to work in California. Ripped the page right out of the magazine. Sorry AA. Checked it out, signed up and have been happy doing it ever since. It is about the only form of excercise I get. When my wife gets to Canada we will be hitting the trails a lot. She loved the couple we did down in Peru. She even beat me to one and had no idea what to look for.

Ridilen

About six weeks ago I was on the Archery Talk forum and someone mentioned this site as a great place to read up on GPSrs. Once I got here I found out about geocaching and am having fun learning about the hobby/sport....I'm hooked and have bought units for my kids (adults) who want to join in the fun.

My brother mentioned something like this a few years ago after he bought a GPS. I've been meaning to ask him about it lately.

I found Groundspeak when I bought my 2nd GPS a few weeks ago. I remembered him mentioning it and had to investigate.

This is my 1st post here. I've already aquired some info and exfo to get myself and my team (My 10 & 12 year olds) ready for some finds and hides.

Don't hold your breath. I'm a patient man.

Crazed

actually my mother in law mentioned something about it early last fall but i didnt pay much attention as then it coming from her sounded like an old folks game that was probably unitestering she didnt know much about it then just said it was some kinda gps related scavangerhunt. Then a few days before thanksgiving some friends of hers was telling her about a cache they found at the local drug store and then it caught my attention all we had was a car jenson and didnt really know how to use it but i got home pulled up the web site and read all about it and found out that even my city that not that big had over 100 out there Went out one day to claim my first that was also a ftf and we were hooked. Got my boys into it ages 4 & 6 and its so cute that my 4 yrold is quick to tell you all about geocaching and the last cache he found. We in turn talking about it to his brother and his wife got them into it and sometimes have them with it. Been hard to get much done between work and the awful gas prices.. but go as much as possible

About a month ago I was watching videos on metacafe.com by a user called Kipkay. There was a video about Geocaching, I thought it sounded really cool, and a few days later I found my first cache. I had actually heard about Geocaching earlier but dismissed it as something I wouldn't be interested in. I was wrong!

A few weeks ago I was discussing hiking with a friend; looking forward to the spring season and going with my son. My friend mentioned the word geocaching and I asked him what it was. He told me it was kinda like a treasure hunt in the woods with a GPS device. I was instantly hooked because it combined my love of hiking with finding hiding treasure. :lol:

My S.O. called me up one day and said "Hey, are you near your computer? If you are, go to geocaching.com." *He* had heard about it from a friend, and immediately thought it sounded cool - he was, in fact, standing in Wallyworld choosing a GPS when he called.

So I I looked it up, and since I like puzzles, I like being out of doors/hiking, and I like gadgets, it intrigued me, as well.

The following weekend, he, his son, and I went out and did a cache run, and I was well and truly hooked - went home, bought myself a GPS, and started hunting on my own.

I've now been at it for about 18 months - no huge numbers since I'm a busy person, and a hiatus the last few months due to family stuff, but I'm still at it. :lol:

A co-worker told me about it a couple of years ago. I told my wife about it and that was it for a few months. Then one day she said "we should try that treasure hunting thing you told me about". We visited a friend that had a hand-held GPSr and we all went out the next afternoon and found our first two caches. We came home and the very next day went out and bought our own unit, and have been caching happily ever since.

Sadly, the co-worker who told me about it has stopped caching. Partly because the cachers in our area aren't placing many caches, and he doesn't want to travel far with his little girl to do more. I'm trying to rectify the situation by hiding a few, and trying to make them interesting, and maybe get others more active in the area by doing so. Actually, a dormant cacher in the area has just come alive and hidden his first cache, and another cacher from a town a ways away has come into the area to find my new(ish) caches, and has hidden one of her own near by! Maybe things are looking up! :lol:

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I bought my GPS in October 2004 in anticipation of a contract job in Iraq.(didn't come to be, my choice). Up surfing the net for "how-to" info, found Geocaching.com, and started from there. My activity was limited to available time. Had a personal loss and stopped. I'm back hunting again.

I have found cachers without looking, came up in conversation about hobbies, GPS, mapping. I incorporate GPS, mapping, and waypoints into my work. Geocaching pays off, I guess. :unsure:

Edited by Savoy 6