How many geocachers

reedkickball

About 1.5 million (just short of that)

Keep in mind a few things though. Some accounts are duplicate accounts for the same cacher. Some accounts were opened and never used to log any caches. Some accounts are used by large groups of people. Some accounts are sock puppet accounts. Etc...

Hard to get a good handle on how many cachers there really are.

But, as nice as cacherstats.com is, it only considers people who choose to go over there and get registered. If you don't go there and pick up on your info and track you.

But I do really like that site.

No, it collects data from geocaching.com, so it will get stats anyways. There is no sign-up involved. It displays anyone with 200 finds or more. It is updated every 4 days or so.

According to cacherstats.com, there is currently 32,295 cachers with 200 finds or more. That is closer to the REAL number. But as it was said before, it is not exact.

A while back, Jeremy gave some site stats. One of them was that 90% of caching accounts had fewer than 59 finds.

I'd guess the numbers on the "up" side of his 2004 stats have shifted, but I bet the numbers on the low side haven't shifted much. Your REAL number is the sorta real number of cachers with over 200 logged finds. Which is not a correlate to the number of cachers.

Some old GC.com stats

According to cacherstats.com, there is currently 32,295 cachers with 200 finds or more. That is closer to the REAL number. But as it was said before, it is not exact.

REAL number of what?

Real number of cachers with over 200 finds

Interesting. So a REAL geocacher could be someone who has found more than 200 geocaches but hasn't been active in the past 4 years. While someone who has found less than 200 geocaches but has been active every week for the past month or two isn't a REAL geocacher.

The problem with arbitrary numbers is that they just don't work. Where I live now 200 geocaches is a little less than half the geocaches that are accessible without needing to use a boat or an airplane. I've also lived in cache rich areas where someone can easily find 200 urban micros in a long caching weekend.

Specifying some arbitrary number as a poor way to determine a geocachers realness. I'd argue that anyone who has attempted to find any kind of geocache is a real geocacher. This does make determining the total number of geocacher a little more difficult that simply finding out the user number of the last person to sign up at geocaching.com because some accounts are team account or sock puppets or multiple accounts that the user forgot they set up. Also some geocachers have signed up at other geocaching web site but not here and some who geocache have never signed up at any website at all.

Interesting. So a REAL geocacher could be someone who has found more than 200 geocaches but hasn't been active in the past 4 years. While someone who has found less than 200 geocaches but has been active every week for the past month or two isn't a REAL geocacher.

Ok. It's just the way the site works. If there is a cacher who finds many caches and is very active, they will eventually pass the 200 mark, then they will be accepted by that site.

The OP just asked, is there a way to find out. In my response, I said that is was CLOSER TO THE REAL NUMBER, not everybody. It just eliminates the 90% of "dead accounts" which include accounts just made for sockpuppets, or people that have never found a cache.

The stats are NEVER perfect.

Ok. It's just the way the site works. If there is a cacher who finds many caches and is very active, they will eventually pass the 200 mark, then they will be accepted by that site.

The OP just asked, is there a way to find out. In my response, I said that is was CLOSER TO THE REAL NUMBER, not everybody. It just eliminates the 90% of "dead accounts" which include accounts just made for sockpuppets, or people that have never found a cache.

The OP didn't ask anything about the REAL NUMBER of geocachers. The OP asked...

How many accounts does geocaching.com currently have?

The OP was then told how to view user numbers. The thread was dead at that point because the OP got the answer to his question. That is until the REAL geocacher issue was brought up.

Interesting. From the front page of Geocaching.com:

In the last 7 days, there have been 326810 new logs written by 46408 account holders.

That works out to 7 logs per account over the last week, or 1 per day per account.

So I guess 14,000 FAKE cachers logged almost 100,000 caches in the last week?

This question actually comes up all the time, and people always bring up Sock Puppets. Really, I would have to think that is totally insignificant. I'd be willing to bet most "dead accounts", are just people who sign up for anything on the internet, and most of them don't even own a GPS.

And I did actually manually look at the 400 or so accounts created on the day I joined once because of a forum thread, and found about 1/2 of the accounts never logged a cache. And inspired by my geekyness, two or three other people did the same, and got about the same results.

I think the cacherstats.com guy had to add those numbers pretty recently. I think that's pretty interesting, only 32,000 of a 1.5 million account holders have over 200 finds.

Oh, and I have seen many long since gone inactive cachers with over 200 finds who would be listed on cacherstats.com, someone brought that up.

Everyone should give whoever the poor guy is who came up with the "real cachers" quote a break. <_<

Interesting. From the front page of Geocaching.com:

In the last 7 days, there have been 326810 new logs written by 46408 account holders.

That works out to 7 logs per account over the last week, or 1 per day per account.

So I guess 14,000 FAKE cachers logged almost 100,000 caches in the last week?

Like it was said earlier, cacherstats.com only gets the users with 200+ finds. Those 14,000 must of been users with less than 200 finds. Not fake cachers.

Cacherstats.com is updated automatically, not by a person. It uses some special system using "high profile caches." Which is a concept I don't understand. <_<