A massive thank you to Ranger Fox

harrogate hunters

In my previous topic I was alarmed how a emulator can be run on cassettes giving away all their secrets !

With the massive help from Ranger Fox, I have now disabled the cartridge so that it can only be run live on location !!

This is the power of the forums and the amazing help that people give accross the world, not even knowing each other.... ISNT GEOCACHING GREAT

However, Could it not be so simple for the publishers of Wherigo to build in a simple code or tick box to stop people using the Emulator should the owner of the cartridge so wish !

Once again THANKS :laughing:;)

You're welcome. I appreciate the compliment.

Just keep in mind that, while there may not be a method for circumventing security today, there's always tomorrow. That's the real humbling aspect of IT. Yep, you fix it one day and something else happens the next, either related or not.

Groundspeak has known about this since Wherigo was released. At that time, I remember the decision was made to allow cartridges to be run in the emulator so people could experience what Wherigo was like until this took off.

But I do agree. How difficult would it be to add a check box to the cartridge properties window to prevent people from using the emulator to run the cartridge? True, very few people would ever actually experience the cartridge and the creativity that went into making it, but if that's what the author desires...

Edited by Ranger Fox

In my previous topic I was alarmed how a emulator can be run on cassettes giving away all their secrets !

With the massive help from Ranger Fox, I have now disabled the cartridge so that it can only be run live on location !!

Do you want me to see if I can break it again! :)

[Edited to add]

Just tried, and it won't run - no surprises as I guess you tried it too. Just to check other things, I opened the GWC file in notepad and couldn't see the final location, though there were some clues about certain other bits. But, you'll never stop some people cheating.

Can I assume that you've now moved the final, so we'll HAVE to do it properly. <_<

Edited by Guanajuato