DeLorme Topo Usa 7.0 & Garmin Colorado

jmedlock

Send me your Colorado, I'll try it! :)<_<

Seriously, Topo USA 7 has the same interface (a little burried, but it's there) as earlier Delorme products. Of course, it it designed to work with the Delorme PN-20 (and does). Still works fine with my old Magellan Meridian, and my wife's (my old) Garmin Etrex Venture. If the interface is still common with the Etrex, it should work.

When you plug the USB cable into the Colorado, it converts tracks, waypoints, routes to GPX format.

You then open the file using import button on draw tab.

Creates waypoint & track layer as well as routes.

It doesn't map all the waypoint icons (similar to use with other Garmins.)

Haven't tried going the other way.

I did use routable trails in Topo USA 7 to map out a ride covering a number of different trails.

It highlighted the track segments used (on PN-20). Helped make it easier to navigate on bike.

(Nicer than direct routing).

When you plug the USB cable into the Colorado, it converts tracks, waypoints, routes to GPX format.

I did use routable trails in Topo USA 7 to map out a ride covering a number of different trails.

It highlighted the track segments used (on PN-20). Helped make it easier to navigate on bike.

Thanks so much! I was trying to use the "exchange" tool and, of course, it wasn't working. I was able to import both my routes & waypoints using your instructions above. I haven't tried exporting, but will.

So my question: I've been trialling the PN-20 & Colorado and I like both units, however I think I am going to keep the Colorado. However, I also like the Topo USA 7.0 software very much (so I would $$ DeLorme for it).

Is the Garmin Topo software just as good as DeLorme?

Thanks

Thanks so much! I was trying to use the "exchange" tool and, of course, it wasn't working. I was able to import both my routes & waypoints using your instructions above. I haven't tried exporting, but will.

So my question: I've been trialling the PN-20 & Colorado and I like both units, however I think I am going to keep the Colorado. However, I also like the Topo USA 7.0 software very much (so I would $$ DeLorme for it).

Is the Garmin Topo software just as good as DeLorme?

Thanks

To reply to my own post: I was able to create waypoints and a route and open them up on the Colorado. I saved them as .gpx files and stored them under /Garmin/GPX.

(My route turned into a "track" on the 400t -- I'm new to Topo USA 7, so don't know if I just messed something up, or if it is supposed to be a "track" instead of a "route").

So now the question: is it better to spend $$ for DeLorme Topo, or buy the Garmin Topo for use with the 400t? I will primarily do hiking with it.

Regards

The usual answer would be that you're best off buying the mapping software that goes with your GPS brand, so you can exchange detail maps with the GPS. However, the 400t comes preloaded with the maps, so you have no desktop software, yes? (I'm a PN-20 owner, so I'm not the best authority on Colorado capabilities).

If you prefer the Colorado, you might be better off getting the 300 and buying the Garmin Topo software. Then you'd have the desktop software and the ability to send whatever detail maps you want to the GPS.

*If* you go with the 400, it might make sense to buy Delorme Topo7 for your desktop application, but I'd check with Delorme sales first to be sure that the Colorado is compatible for route, track, and waypoint exchange. It's so new that they may not be compatible if it doesn't adhere to the older Garmin standards.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that the Delorme maps are better. They are 1:24000 scale while the Garmin Topo 2008 is still 1:100000. Delorme also allows you to easily add roads and trails to the map database for export to GPS.

Well, any GPS that you can export Delorme maps to. Which, at the current time, would be...um...the PN-20. :blink:

I guess we could expand that a little bit by also mentioning that there is a means to export Delorme maps to PDAs ...something else, though not GPS.

The usual answer would be that you're best off buying the mapping software that goes with your GPS brand, so you can exchange detail maps with the GPS. However, the 400t comes preloaded with the maps, so you have no desktop software, yes? (I'm a PN-20 owner, so I'm not the best authority on Colorado capabilities).

If you prefer the Colorado, you might be better off getting the 300 and buying the Garmin Topo software. Then you'd have the desktop software and the ability to send whatever detail maps you want to the GPS.

*If* you go with the 400, it might make sense to buy Delorme Topo7 for your desktop application, but I'd check with Delorme sales first to be sure that the Colorado is compatible for route, track, and waypoint exchange. It's so new that they may not be compatible if it doesn't adhere to the older Garmin standards.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that the Delorme maps are better. They are 1:24000 scale while the Garmin Topo 2008 is still 1:100000. Delorme also allows you to easily add roads and trails to the map database for export to GPS.

I really like the DeLorme Topo software and can export/import waypoints and routes (tracks so far), so I think the Garmin Topo map on the 400t + DeLorme Topo software on the PC seems like a good compromise.

I browsed the Garmin Topo software description on their website, and apart from the ability to download maps (which I don't need with a 400t), it looks like the DeLorme software provides additional abilities (such as 3D view, others? - I haven't played with DeLorme Topo enough).

If someone else has experience with DeLorme Topo vs Garmin Topo, then I'd be interested in hearing your opinion about pros/cons and which you prefer.

Regards

It's all there in the quote from Embra. The consensus of those who are familiar with both the Garmin maps as displayed on a Garmin GPSr and the DeLORME maps as displayed on their PN-20 is that the DeLORME has the better presentation.

One could continue to search herein, but the probability of finding otherwise of significance does not make such endeavour worthwhile.