Motorola Q9h

rlaughton

I did a Forum search and a Google search of this site and could only find one mention of the Moto Q9. My apologies if I missed something, and if so, the moderators are free to delete this topic.

As part of a longer term plan to use the Linesman Program in Europe for tracking WWI trenches, I started a hunt for what would be the best "all around" system that would have the GPS capabilities, communications and software for the field. My end result after months of review was the Motorola Q9h Smartphone, a HOLUX GPSlim 240 Bluetooth GPS and CoPilot7 software.

There was a trick to getting the CoPilot and the MotoQ9/Holux system working together, so I wanted to make sure that if anyone else is taking this approach that they know there is a simple solution and once complete the system does a great job. The ability to have your e-mail, phone, GPS and computer all in one package is a real benefit for the field work. That means you can also run your Google Earth at the same time!

CAUTION - this is for a MotoQ9h with a stand alone GPS system, not the one that you would get as part of a service package from your cellular supplier. Stay away from those is what I have heard. You also have to pay a monthly fee for that GPS service but a stand alone system costs only what you pay for the hardware and software.

I chose the HOLUX GPSlim 240 as it was small and had excellent reports as to accuracy. I needed a Bluetooth device that I could place in spots and take the readings elsewhere, whether in my car on COLD days like yesterday, or otherwise out of the elements and danger areas. I went with the CoPilot7 software as it has the ability to take direct GPS readings, it is not just a travel GPS system. I also wanted a system where I could add maps of Europe for the Great War grave hunt.

So far all is working great. I am now in the process of doing a number of tests here in Ontario to compare the readings from Google Earth (I use those to track the cemeteries) to the benchmark points (three cheers for COSINE) and the handheld GPS.

There are a number of others on the MOTOQ9 forum starting to use this system as well so I will drop them a note to come here to Groundspeak. I look forward to helping anyone else using the MotoQ9 system and also to sharing experiences and updates.

Richard of Canada

(click here for a large scale view of the system in my AVATAR)

Yeah, you have to watch the cell phone providers -- besides them locking the phones to their service. Many times a phone has way more features than listed in the abbreviated manual the manufacturer prints specifically for the provider. Check the manufacturers website for a full manual.

We had several Samsung phones with built-in voice dialing, yet it was not mentioned in the manual that came in the Sprint-packaged box -- Sprint wanted you to pay per month for their voice dialing, which also used up call minutes.

Sometimes the providers cripple the hardware as well, but you can often find the original OEM firmware and restore the features the provider disables. Cingular (now AT&T) did this on some of their phones.