Paperless Caching - What do you use?

What hardware do you use to store PQ info for use in the field?

• A Pocket-PC?
  • A Palm-OS PDA?
  • An iPhone or the like?
  • Something else?

In the Wherigo forums (Yes, there are forums for Wherigo!), there has been some requests for a Palm-OS Wherigo player. According to Jeremy, there is no plans to develop one at this time.

I think it's make good sense to develop a player for the platform used the most. Pocket-PC has one, the new Colorado comes with one. I'm curious how many people out there use a Palm-based PDA.

If you use one, this is your chance to chime in and say so.

If you use one of the other already-supported platforms, this is your chance to say "I use this, and think the time would be better spent working out the bugs that already exist!"

Why am I posting this in the General Forums and not the Wherigo forums? I'd imagine that the vast majority of people reading the Wherigo forums have the equipment necessary (ie a non-Palm-based PDA) needed to play. I want to see if we can get a cross-section of what people use from the general community. Well, at least from the forum-reading community...

I love using my iPhone as it gives me the "web in the palm of my hand" while out in the field. I can even make log entries right on the spot when I have connectivity. When I don't have even Edge connectivity then I leverage the built in HTML email that is common to both the iPhone and the iPod Touch (so now the Touch crowd can play too!) The only issue there is having an easy way to get your pocket query "mailed" to you in a suitable form. Naturally I use my own solution but cobbling together a PQ to email transcoder isn't hard.

-dB

www.ayefon.com - inexpensive Geocaching solutions for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I've been experimenting with the paperless caching the past couple of trips - and I wanted to do it for free.

First I tried it on my palm. I have a palm TE - that doesn't get great battery life. I used isilox - the fre version to capture the log free pages into the palm. These are image free pages - which is bad if you want a map - if you know where you are going - it worked fine. Would probably work better with battery power too.

Then, a friend of mine at the office came up with an idea. I have a Creative Zen 16GB mp3 player that has a beautiful large screen and it also has an SD slot. She came up with the idea of loading the images in there. I took it one step furthur and create a powerpoint file for each cache trip. On each slide in the powerpoint file, I can put a map, and clue, and descriptions (really anything I want.) Then when I'm done, I save it as jpg images, and it saves each slide individidually, and sequentially into a folder I name. Then I save that to the player (or in my case the SD slot) and boom - paperless. It requires a little copy and pasting from the site, but I get the information I want, in a format I like for free. THe map res is nice too! This method should work with any mp3 player that will view photos (but I am partial to creative!)

While I have completely enjoyed the Palm interface, after 3 months of using it I am completely fed up with my bargin bin Palm M105. It worked great for the first month maybe, but ever since then it has had serious connectivity issues. I'm assuming it has something to do with the Serial to USB adapter but even when I plug it into my serial port it takes 5 or more tries for it to upload. I guess I've learned my lesson by going so cheap and will be looking for a slight upgrade (at least something that has USB connectivity :huh:

PPC Mogul w/Built in GPS

Cachamate

Garmin Mobile XT

Google Mobile Maps

One thing to keep in mind in your count for arguing about the larger user base and supporting Wherigo was mentioned earlier.I am not sure how much memory and processor is needed to run a Wherigo cartride is needed but if its a decent amount many of the palms people are using might not work.The reason palms seem to be far more prevelant in Paperless activities is the number of older palms which can be had for $30 or less of ebay or craigslist and I have heard many of these work great with cachemate but not for more complicated programs.

Currently trying out a few systems (Gadget show style) to see what works best for us. So far we have

1) A Palm Tungsten|E running Cachemate

2) A Nintendo DS running Bunjalloo browser with web-pages produced by GSAK

3) A Nintendo DS running Bunjalloo browser with web-pages produced by GPX-spinner

4) A garmin Nuvi 200 (home-made jpgs of cache container/location, co-ords and clue)

5) Old ipaq 2200hx running GPXView

Also hope to borrow an Ipod soon to try cachemagnet.

Whatever system you use, my advice is plan well and synchronise all device databases at the same time. All systems above work well for hunting; cachemate does look like the favourite for logging finds at the moment though. Also GPXView has font size issues in WM6 ppc's. I will keep testing whatever I can find until we find the best system for us.

Edited by Cyberhythm

I been paperless for a while using a Palm Tungsten T with a Magellan GPS Companion and CetusGPS on the Palm. About a year ago, I got a PPC based navigation GPS (Becker 7934) to aid with getting to the general area. I have a Palm M125 as a backup to the tungsten if the batter runs down.

ON the desktop, I use GPSbabel and a batch file to create the files used by CetusGPS and the Becker.

I also generate a kml (google earth) file and html file.

<snip>

P.S. I haven't used CacheMate yet, but I will take a look at it and judge for myself if it is better than SIMPLE.

IMHO, Cachemate is better than "SIMPLE." I have thousands of caches in different databases on a 256 MB card in my Palm m515. If I am caching on a trail where I have already found the caches, but my companion hasn't, I still have all the data with me, should it be needed.

After refreshing my GSAK database, I send updated info on 1000, or more caches, to the Palm in a few seconds. :laughing:

I agree 100%. If you are already using GSAK to load your GPSr, it is just a matter of exporting the same caches (just a couple clicks) and then syncing your PDA.

That being said, posts such as this are a bit off topic, and if suddenly everyone is discussing the ups and downs of the hardware/software, it will make my tallying job harder.

If the purpose of the thread were not to simply count the number of people using which platforms, I'd welcome further discussion, but it is.

Thanks for understanding. :)

I think you tally is about done--I don't mean to derail but....

I was using GSAK and Cachemate to send files to the gps and PDA (in this case a Zire 31 and a Palm IIIxe)

and then I got 64-bit VISTA on my new computer-and it won't play with the Cachemate. To top it all off, the Zire has lost it's user name, and I can't synch it, because,yep, the Palm software won't play with 64-bit Vista either.

If there is a way to get these to work together, I'm too stupid to figure it out. So thanks for having this thread out --at least it's giving me ideas for other options.

I have a Spirnt Mogul (HTC PPC 6800) with AGPS enabled. I use TomTom 6 to navigate to where I am going, Google Earth to get an idea of where the cache is on a map and I use Bee Line GPS to import and organize my waypoints. I also can go to GC.com to log entries etc. My batteries last a long time using this set up (longer than most hand held GPS units it seems). This truly is a one unit paperless solution. I am surprised more people don't go this route.

XV6800 (PPC 6800)

GPX Sonar

Google Maps

ALSO

nuvi 760

GSAK macro

POI loader

Both work great and have kept me from purchasing a dedicated handheld. I still may get one, just so both my wife and I can hunt at the same time. But with those 2 I can skimp on the hand held (etrx H :rolleyes: )

My gear is in my siggy... The system works REALLY well for me :rolleyes: My next purchase would only change out what I've got in getting a color GPS and possibly a b/w Palm to reduce glare problems. My next actual new equipment might be a very base model GPS if my 5yo wants one all for himself.

I was using GSAK and Cachemate to send files to the gps and PDA (in this case a Zire 31 and a Palm IIIxe)

and then I got 64-bit VISTA on my new computer-and it won't play with the Cachemate. To top it all off, the Zire has lost it's user name, and I can't synch it, because,yep, the Palm software won't play with 64-bit Vista either.

If there is a way to get these to work together, I'm too stupid to figure it out. So thanks for having this thread out --at least it's giving me ideas for other options.

You can use what I use. GSAK HTML output and Plucker.

Dell Axim X30 running Cachemate

Fed by GSAK created .gpx files

Unitl recently used GPX Sonar, but app became ustable and the developer no longer supports it. Getting used to Cachemate, and it will do until I get my next uber-geocaching enabled GPSr.

Basically, I'm holding out for the Garmin "Montana"!

You can use what I use. GSAK HTML output and Plucker.

Oooh, I hadn't thought of Plucker. I used to use Plucker and Spinner and easyGPS.

I did manage to get the Zire to hotsync (at an event, someone brought their laptop and hotsynced it for me). I just found the directions to get files to an SD card over GSAK forums. But if that doesn't work...I'll try Plucker. Thanks again!

Really, the eaiest, quickest, most hassle-free method I ever tried was GSAK and Cachemate. If it just worked with 64-bit OS....

Well,

The kids use a Sony Clie PEG-SJ22 (? can't remember off the top of my head, for sure) with Cachemate when they go with me, and I use an AT&T Tilt GPS/PPC/Phone with GPXsonar. Both work great!

As for Wherigo, There still aren't any games for Colorado, but I'm trying to figure it out and build one! :D

Works tho, in the Tilt! :D

CdirtO

Colorado 400t. I make 500 cache pocket queries and dump them to the

Colorado to blanket my area. I really which I could make queries with

more records. 10,000 would be nice, and I have plenty of memory for that.

As it is, I have to run several queries to blanket a 100 mile radius.

My Paperless Cache System that is completely FREE (minus the gpsr, pda, laptop, Groundspeak membership and Garmin TOPO USA software)!

There are no fees, nag screens or hidden features with this system.

PC OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (Linux)

PDA: Palm Treo 650

GPSr: eTrex Legend HCx

PC Software: gpsbabel + Garmin TOPO USA + Google Earth

PDA Software: mobipocket

use gpsbabel to do all of my manipulation of the gpx files

convert them into .pdb format and send to my palm

I use TOPO USA and Google Earth for mapping, routing and cache densities. All outputs can be read by gpsbabel and thus used to manipulate my gpx files.

After I learned the cmds for gpsbabel i like it better than GSAK. Its faster, stouter, cleaner and has more options than gsak.

Edited by Oilfield Gringo

Here's another vote for iPhone support (for all Groundspeak apps)! I dunno about the accuracy of the iPhone's built-in GPS (I've heard stories), but I found my first 3 caches using it and the Geopher Lite program that was recently released, so I think it does the trick. I just want MORE POWER (and Wherigo support!)!! lol.

-marqueA2

What hardware do you use to store PQ info for use in the field?

• A Pocket-PC?
  • A Palm-OS PDA?
  • An iPhone or the like?
  • Something else?

In the Wherigo forums (Yes, there are forums for Wherigo!), there has been some requests for a Palm-OS Wherigo player. According to Jeremy, there is no plans to develop one at this time.

I think it's make good sense to develop a player for the platform used the most. Pocket-PC has one, the new Colorado comes with one. I'm curious how many people out there use a Palm-based PDA.

If you use one, this is your chance to chime in and say so.

If you use one of the other already-supported platforms, this is your chance to say "I use this, and think the time would be better spent working out the bugs that already exist!"

Why am I posting this in the General Forums and not the Wherigo forums? I'd imagine that the vast majority of people reading the Wherigo forums have the equipment necessary (ie a non-Palm-based PDA) needed to play. I want to see if we can get a cross-section of what people use from the general community. Well, at least from the forum-reading community...

Garmin Forerunner 305 supplemented with an AT&T Blackjack II. I use GSAK to import my selected caches into the Forerunner as well as the BJII. I use Cachemate for the cache info & logging finds out in the field and the caches/coords are also imported into Outlook Contacts. I can do a quick map search from Contacts on Live Search if I need a little map help (satellite view). I just wish I was better at actually finding the caches. So far I'm finding maybe 25% of the ones I've tried. Did some caching out of town on vacation for a week & found 0%. Those along Hwy 49 canyons were deep!!

After researching the forums and other sources, I have set up my paperless caching "machine"

1.Gather caches via Pocket Queries on Geocaching.com

2.Use Geobuddy for exporting to Cachemate compatible files (GSAK does good also from what I here)

3.Cachemate program in a Palm M125 with a 128mb SD card for additional memory.

1+2+3= approx 20,000+ cache pages on a highly sunlight viewable used PDA for $40

I had been using my palm tungsten e2, but it was a little cumbersome for last minute caching. Run pocket query, download extract, convert to cachemate, sync palm, convert with gpsbabel to mapsend, upload to gps, then go. Whew... I recently got an iPhone to take place of both my phone and PDA. There is a $10 geocaching app that works much like an instant pocket query but with very limited filters so far.

Now all I need is the phone and my gps. The iPhone's gps doesn't seem to be the best for geocaching, but it will sort of point you in the right direction. It's google map works better.

The app also let's you preselect caches and save them for later use, I am guessing for if you lose connectivity. I used my iPhone today to search for a cache, I put the cache in manually on my gps, found the cache and logged it on the web site before leaving the cache parking area.

Now that's paperless efficiency. I didn't even need to involve the pc

The only bad thing about the geocaching site and the iPhone is the google maps are a pain to scroll around on. I haven't been able to get the zoom in and out to work. Scrolling is tough because everything is touch based and the screen is small but it beats the heck out of the palm.

I did this post from the iPhone too...