Paperless Caching - What do you use?

Palm (iQue 3600)

I've cached for a couple of years with it and it works great. I just discovered the forum and therefore, GSAK and Cachemate. With the help from here I have figured how to get the points loaded and mapped. I am still having trouble getting the hints/logs. All I get in the notes is something saying "loaded from cachemate".

Haven't figured out what "Wherigo" is yet.

Palm (iQue 3600)

I've cached for a couple of years with it and it works great. I just discovered the forum and therefore, GSAK and Cachemate. With the help from here I have figured how to get the points loaded and mapped. I am still having trouble getting the hints/logs. All I get in the notes is something saying "loaded from cachemate".

Haven't figured out what "Wherigo" is yet.

Are you using the "smart name" codes in GSAK to send useful waypoint names and comments to the iQue? A code like this "%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1" gives you part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), and the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

In the Waypoint Description blank, this code "%by %hint" gives the cache owner and the hint. The codes can be mixed and matched anyway you want to in order to get the information most important to you.

Dell Axim x51 (PPC) running BackCountryNavigator with a bluetooth GPSr.

Download pocket queries and/or individual GPX files to GSAK, sort and process in GSAK and export to BackCountryNavigator. All cache info (including hints and logs) is attached to all geocache waypoints.

Edited by J-Way

What hardware do you use to store PQ info for use in the field?

• A Pocket-PC?
  • A Palm-OS PDA?
  • An iPhone or the like?
  • Something else?

In the Wherigo forums (Yes, there are forums for Wherigo!), there has been some requests for a Palm-OS Wherigo player. According to Jeremy, there is no plans to develop one at this time.

I think it's make good sense to develop a player for the platform used the most. Pocket-PC has one, the new Colorado comes with one. I'm curious how many people out there use a Palm-based PDA.

If you use one, this is your chance to chime in and say so.

If you use one of the other already-supported platforms, this is your chance to say "I use this, and think the time would be better spent working out the bugs that already exist!"

Why am I posting this in the General Forums and not the Wherigo forums? I'd imagine that the vast majority of people reading the Wherigo forums have the equipment necessary (ie a non-Palm-based PDA) needed to play. I want to see if we can get a cross-section of what people use from the general community. Well, at least from the forum-reading community...

----------------

After seeing a friend's rather elaborate electronic and cumbersome setup, I choose something simplistic. Yes, I use a Palm T/X with wireless. I upload PDF printouts of the caches I am going after (in my province and along travelling routes). It is basically an extention of the "binder and reams of paper" concept I used to use when I started caching. It's compact, easily referred too and contains all the information needed. True it is a little labour intensive to print out a bunch of readouts but I have to read them anyway to find out about the caches so really it is not that much effort. My 2 Gb card can hold approx. 20,000 PDF files - a lifetime of caches for ME!

I've recently starting using GSAK to assist in managing the files because it gives me more options to work with them. Then I filter the ones I want and upload to the GPS and off I go.

Simple. I don't have to run the information through a bunch of conversions and hokey pieces of software. I do it once and it's there. When it comes to logging, I use either the home computer or the PDA when on the road - also very simple. I see no reason to make things complicated when the easy is available. It's the equivalent of "why bushwack through 200 metres if the trail takes you to within 2 metres?"

P.S. I haven't used CacheMate yet, but I will take a look at it and judge for myself if it is better than SIMPLE.

Edited by Roarmeister
<snip>

P.S. I haven't used CacheMate yet, but I will take a look at it and judge for myself if it is better than SIMPLE.

IMHO, Cachemate is better than "SIMPLE." I have thousands of caches in different databases on a 256 MB card in my Palm m515. If I am caching on a trail where I have already found the caches, but my companion hasn't, I still have all the data with me, should it be needed.

After refreshing my GSAK database, I send updated info on 1000, or more caches, to the Palm in a few seconds. ;)

<snip>

IMHO, Cachemate is better than "SIMPLE." I have thousands of caches in different databases on a 256 MB card in my Palm m515. If I am caching on a trail where I have already found the caches, but my companion hasn't, I still have all the data with me, should it be needed.

After refreshing my GSAK database, I send updated info on 1000, or more caches, to the Palm in a few seconds. :)

I agree 100%. If you are already using GSAK to load your GPSr, it is just a matter of exporting the same caches (just a couple clicks) and then syncing your PDA.

That being said, posts such as this are a bit off topic, and if suddenly everyone is discussing the ups and downs of the hardware/software, it will make my tallying job harder.

If the purpose of the thread were not to simply count the number of people using which platforms, I'd welcome further discussion, but it is.

Thanks for understanding. ;)

I use my TyTn2 PPC with Geoscout on. Works like a charm and has GPS built in. :laughing:

I also use TyTn2 (? TILT) with "Tracky". Lets you look up geocaches and log finds in real time on one device. No need for a computer, high speed internet connection. Uses google earth maps, which means you have an photo of where the cache is. Often very usefull....Oh THAT tree!

Another update for those who don't want to count:

• Palm - 25 (This includes Palm-based cells, ie Treos)
  • PPC - 14 (including PPC phones)
  • iPhone - 2
  • Cellphone - 2
  • i-pod - 7
  • Colorado - 2

So far with 52 responses, almost half are using a Palm platform.

While in an earlier post I said I was surprised by the number of people who use their iPod, I'm also kinda surprised that there are only 2 people who say they are using the Colorado. Perhaps those who have these new toys are too busy playing with them to say so here? :laughing:

I've been using Palm products for ten years now (started with a PalmIII), so I'll throw my vote in for Palm. I've had my Palm Brick LifeDrive since they came out, and love it! Except for a minor problem I've developed with some third party software resetting the system frequently (easily solved: just uninstall), it's worked great for me.

I was quite disappointed to find that I'm going to have to spend money to run Wherigo. So I'm just going to wait until a.) someone out there comes up with a player for Palm, or B.) I get a Colorado. Hmm... wonder which is going to come first...

Edited by PJPeters

I use to use a Magellan Explorist 500LE and generally no other information about the cache other than what the GPS gave me. It was a problem at times so got a Palm and started using cachemate. Problem is many times I cache on the fly and did not bring the Palm along. I also did not always remember to update the Palm and did not like carrying both a GPS and Palm with me. I gave the Triton 2000 a shot in December but that unit was a complete disappointment and was returned. I then bought the Garmin Colorado 400t and love the unit. GPSr and all the cache information I need in one unit.

I use an Ipod, it has worked great, and easily doubled my find rate.

Here's my process. Normally I use Pocket Queries to get the latest list of caches that I'm interested in. The Query runs a couple of times a week and is emailed to me. I take the query file and load it into GSAK, then upload the data using a macro. I take the same query file and upload it to my GPS using the Garmin software.

Sounds more difficult than it is.

Edited by long2bhiking

1st attempt at paperless caching:

attempt to use wap.geocaching.com to lookup details about a cache if I couldn't find GC with Garmin GPSr.

2nd attempt:

Used GSAK to organize caches

GarminMAP 76CS (limited to 1000 caches loaded)

When exporting to GPSr use %drop2 %typ1%con1%dif1a%ter1a as my waypoint name which gives me something like: 1145R TMAA which is the GC code minus the "GC", type of cache (traditional, multi), container (micro, regular), difficulty, terrain. This string appears in the GPSr waypoint listing.

When exporting to GPSr use %last4%hint+%name as the waypoint description which gives me the something like: "FFNF""decoded hint"+"GC name". The %last4 provides a summary of the last 4 logs (Found, NF, Note). This string appears in the "Note" field on my GPSr.

This setup doesn't give access to the log detail if it's needed. Would use mobile phone to lookup cache details if they were needed in the field.

3rd attempt:

Use Trimble Geocaching Navigator on my Blackberry Curve. I have found it to be pretty accurate in getting to GZ. I do like the quick access to all of the information related to the GC. I also like being able to search for GCs near me at any time instead of trying to anticipate where I'll be and loading the regular GPSr with caches. I also like being able to mark a GC as found or not found and this information appears on GC.com.

If you have any questions about my setup, let me know.

Andrew

While in an earlier post I said I was surprised by the number of people who use their iPod, I'm also kinda surprised that there are only 2 people who say they are using the Colorado. Perhaps those who have these new toys are too busy playing with them to say so here? :)

Orrrrrrrrrr, perhaps only two of us could afford it so far. :)

How does it work with your iPod? Is there a "program" to download onto it? I'm intrigued because I have a Nano I could use...

Try that link out for starters. It helped me alot.

Download pq into cache magnet then export to ipod up to 333 caches. Cachemagnet is free software.

I use my Nuvi 260 and then my Etrex. The Nuvi is great for the car and gets us close. I upload the cache details, hints... and sometimes even some of the photo's. I use the Etrex to get me from my car to the cache. It's a great combo.

If I opt to take the NUVI with me, I ensure it's in a rubber sleeve. (available on ebay)

I use my Nuvi 260 and then my Etrex. The Nuvi is great for the car and gets us close. I upload the cache details, hints... and sometimes even some of the photo's. I use the Etrex to get me from my car to the cache. It's a great combo.

If I opt to take the NUVI with me, I ensure it's in a rubber sleeve. (available on ebay)

How do you load the details and hints to the Nuvi? I load the the waypoints to mine for driving instructions (almost seems like cheating!) and then use the Garmin 76csx for the cache.

How do you load the details and hints to the Nuvi? I load the the waypoints to mine for driving instructions (almost seems like cheating!) and then use the Garmin 76csx for the cache.

I started off using cutting a pastng the information to notepad, converting to a .txt file and then copying into a CSV file and uploading in my Nuvi. It worked ok, but was a bit time consuming. Fine for searching for 5 or so a weekend, but not practicle for anything more.

I tried GSAK and use it with a macro. (macro is available from GSAK's web) It works great! I can easily tailor the information I want loaded in the NUVI. Hint, no hint... logs, no logs... last time found, etc. It's great!

I use GSAK, Cachmate, and a used Palm M515. On the map side, I use TOPO!, GoogleMaps, and GoogleEarth.

In Geocaching.com, I use bookmarks for my 'ready-to-find' caches, and multiple pocket queries centered on the areas I usually frequent. In the field, I use a Garmin Etrex Vista. Went paperless a few years ago, and it has worked well.

Thanks for those who've chimed in so far. The tally:

• Palm - 31 (This includes Palm-based cells, ie Treos)
  • PPC - 15 (including PPC phones)
  • iPhone - 2
  • Cellphone - 4 (Including Trailgators, who plans on switching...)
  • i-pod - 8
  • Colorado - 4
  • Other - 1 (Nuvi, Triton 500)

So far, the folks using devices that can support Wherigo are outnumbered more than 2 to 1...

Just a reminder that posts that aren't answering the question make counting harder. I appreciate the restraint many are using and remind others that there are topics in Getting Started and GPS Units and Software where other questions can be answered. Or take it to PMs. Thanks. :)

Edited by Too Tall John

Thanks for those who've chimed in so far. The tally:

• Palm - 31 (This includes Palm-based cells, ie Treos)
  • PPC - 15 (including PPC phones)
  • iPhone - 2
  • Cellphone - 4 (Including Trailgators, who plans on switching...)
  • i-pod - 8
  • Colorado - 4
  • Other - 1 (Nuvi, Triton 500)

So far, the folks using devices that can support Wherigo are outnumbered more than 2 to 1...

Just a reminder that posts that aren't answering the question make counting harder. I appreciate the restraint many are using and remind others that there are topics in Getting Started and GPS Units and Software where other questions can be answered. Or take it to PMs. Thanks. :)

Put me down for Palm OS. :ph34r:

palm tungsten E, with cachemate. bought off ebay couple weeks ago, love it

Handle it carefully. The Tungsten E has a problem with it's power button. The solder points for the switch come loose and renders the switch unusable. I've long since had to start turning my TE on using one of the program buttons and set it to auto-off after 30 seconds. Another workaround is to use an application such as mOff to assign one of the program buttons as an off switch.

I use a Palm Tungsten E2. My first PDA was a Handspring Visor. It was replaced by a Palm Tungsten E, and finally today's model, a Tungsten E2. I use the GSAK/Cachemate combo which seems to work well. I've read numerous posts about the color screens being hard to read in the sunlight (and mine is), but I use the Palm for work as well, and I haven't bought a dedicated machine. I haven't looked at a Pocket PC machine in years. But, since I've used the Palm platform for so long, I don't anticipate changing platforms. It's kind of like the Mac v Windows preferences.

I did download the Wherigo builder, and I've played with a couple of the cartridges. I dobt that I'll be buting a new GPS or PDA just for Wherigo.

1Ladybugmom

I use an HP iPaq rx3115 with a Pharos blue tooth iGPS receiver and GeoScout. The rx3115 is not bad, if a bit on the old/slow side. But the Pharos blue tooth iGPS is great. It gets me to within feet of the cache every time. I also use my Forerunner 305 from time to time.

What I’d like to know is why more people don’t use GeoScout. It has lots of great features. You can enter your geocashing.com user name and password and it will download caches, along with logs, hints, and maps automatically. It also logs your travel bugs and connects to my blue tooth iGPS automatically.

And the other day when I was placing a cache I discovered another cool feature. Averaging. If you stand in one place it will take multiple GPS readings and average them. In just about a minute it had averaged about 150 readings and displays the margin of error in meters. In my case, it was about 1.2 meters.

Seems a lot easier than downloading with this, then converting with that. Not trying to sound like an advert or anything... :)

Currently (and hopefully temporarily) I am using my (relatively old) mobile phone - a Sony Ericsson K608i. I make HTML pages with cache coordinates, descriptions and hints by copy-pasting. Then I upload then to my phone.

I enter coordinates into my Garmin Foretrex 201 by hand.

The reason for this: I have no other device that I can use for paperless geocaching, I am not a premium member and I do not have a PC cable for my GPSr. This is (extremely) far from perfect, but I guess it works until I get the above things.

I don't use it yet, but I just purchased a Palm M105 off of Ebay for $6.50 (it was $1.50, but got bid up in the last few minutes) - $15.00 with shipping and all. Just got a premium membership yesterday and am playing around with it until my PDA arrives. I must say its nice to see 500 waypoints in my GPS without my hands being numb and fingers bleeding from typing them all in :o

I seem to be leaning towards GSAK & Cachemate, just cause they seem the most popular and I would be able to get the most support with them.

Edited by StClairC

How does it work with your iPod? Is there a "program" to download onto it? I'm intrigued because I have a Nano I could use...

Try that link out for starters. It helped me alot.

Download pq into cache magnet then export to ipod up to 333 caches. Cachemagnet is free software.

I like using GSAK. It's free too, you just get the nag screen after a little while if you don't want to pay for it. There is now a macro for it on GSAK's website that is very easy to run and will put all 500 caches on your iPod in the notes.

I use my iPhone for paperless caching. I just print the pages from geocaching.com as PDFs and send them to emails as myself. After that I open the PDFs before I leave to "save" them locally in the Mail program. Also it is strongly suggested that the SDK (software developer kit) will be released this Thursday as Apple has a special event scheduled that day. When that happens program will be able to be developed to run natively on the iPhone instead of them having to be web based. And as we all know some places where caches are hidden there is definitely isn't any WiFi and cell service can be limited. Finger crossed this happen soon........

thank you for posting this. i know its simplistic but i never thought of it. brilliant :-)