Suprise, Trade & Travel

kdv

We are all protecting our coin collections with our life, but why not try and live a tiny little bit more dangerously?

Here's my idea:

Every person that partipates should be prepared to release a surprise coin in a nearby cache, after having it adopted by the person that has been assigned to them. To keep the coin really a surpirse, it would be nice to rename it to XXX's surprise coin before sending out the adoption request.

Here's how it works:

- Before March 1, send a mail to me (kdv@geocaching.it) indicating that you want to participate, indicating also what cache in your area should be the destination for the coin you'll be surprised with.

- On March 1 you will receive the nick of the person assigned to you and the destination of the coin you're going to surprise them with.

- Rename the coin to XXX's Surprise Coin and set up a mission for the coin to reach it's destination.

- Send out an adoption request for the coin to the person assigned to you.

- Drop the coin in a nearby cache (and put it on your watchlist if you like!)

If people want to participate after March 1, they can go ahead and let me know. I'll just set up another batch.

Track your progress here, e.g following this scheme:

1. Participating

2. Nick/destination received

3. Outgoing coin released

4. Incoming coin picked up.

I know it's a risky venture and I guess in the end not everyone will even get to see their coin, but if you want to risk it, go ahead and sign up for it. Let's try and make coins travel every now and then :laughing:

Katja

Edited to add:

Grr, I hate it when I make typos in topic names that I can't even fix ;)

Edited by kdv

Well yes, and the icon will be a clue too ;)

But the surprise is also in where in the world a coin will pop up for you and when and if it will every reach you :P

That sounds like a fun mission. But you do know, that no matter what you name the coin, you can still see what coin it is on the coin's individual page, right? I'm thinking that was the surprise part of your mission. Look at me, Mr. Stick in the Mud :laughing: Sorry, just had to ask.

This is an awesome idea. Lately when we gift out a coin we activate it first and design the coin page for the cacher. We also give the person a choice if they want the coin released or given straight to them. Of the 10 coins we have given away like this only 2 have chosen to release them to the wild. OUCH...

We would love to be a part of this.

We are all protecting our coin collections with our life, but why not try and live a tiny little bit more dangerously?

Here's my idea:

Every person that partipates should be prepared to release a surprise coin in a nearby cache, after having it adopted by the person that has been assigned to them. To keep the coin really a surpirse, it would be nice to rename it to XXX's surprise coin before sending out the adoption request.

Here's how it works:

- Before March 1, send a mail to me (kdv@geocaching.it) indicating that you want to participate, indicating also what cache in your area should be the destination for the coin you'll be surprised with.

- On March 1 you will receive the nick of the person assigned to you and the destination of the coin you're going to surprise them with.

- Rename the coin to XXX's Surprise Coin and set up a mission for the coin to reach it's destination.

- Send out an adoption request for the coin to the person assigned to you.

- Drop the coin in a nearby cache (and put it on your watchlist if you like!)

If people want to participate after March 1, they can go ahead and let me know. I'll just set up another batch.

Track your progress here, e.g following this scheme:

1. Participating

2. Nick/destination received

3. Outgoing coin released

I know it's a risky venture and I guess in the end not everyone will even get to see their coin, but if you want to risk it, go ahead and sign up for it. Let's try and make coins travel every now and then :laughing:

Katja

Edited to add:

Grr, I hate it when I make typos in topic names that I can't even fix ;)

ok... I think I'll jump in on the next one... or re-read this later.... after a few coffee... sounds like a good idea but I got confused in the middle of reading it....

:P

Holly

Cache Agent

ok... I think I'll jump in on the next one... or re-read this later.... after a few coffee... sounds like a good idea but I got confused in the middle of reading it....

:laughing:

Holly

Cache Agent

Me, too. I'm not entirely sure I follow this (why the adoption? Why not a coin with the cacher's identity on it?), but I'm always in favor of releasing a coin. And making it an unusual or rare or whatever coin, makes it more fun.

I'm in.

The adoption process is the 'burocratical' part of giving the coin away to the other person. It will probably be a while before it arrives at its destination and this way the coin will be at least in the electronic inventory of the person it's been given to. The coin obviously needs to be activated, if it's going to travel to its destination via caches.

Sorry if I haven't explained things very well. It's just a spontaneous idea and I'm sure the details are not worked out yet perfectly, but we can work on it as we go along. Of course I am open to suggestions!

By the way, I am not sure what you mean by "a coin with the cacher's identity on it"). The idea of the coin name change was just something to try and make the coin more of a surprise. But the icon and other clues will give it away anyway, so the name change thing is not compulsory.

Katja

Me, too. I'm not entirely sure I follow this (why the adoption? Why not a coin with the cacher's identity on it?), but I'm always in favor of releasing a coin. And making it an unusual or rare or whatever coin, makes it more fun.

I'm in.

The adoption process is the 'burocratical' part of giving the coin away to the other person. It will probably be a while before it arrives at its destination and this way the coin will be at least in the electronic inventory of the person it's been given to. The coin obviously needs to be activated, if it's going to travel to its destination via caches.

Sorry if I haven't explained things very well. It's just a spontaneous idea and I'm sure the details are not worked out yet perfectly, but we can work on it as we go along. Of course I am open to suggestions!

By the way, I am not sure what you mean by "a coin with the cacher's identity on it"). The idea of the coin name change was just something to try and make the coin more of a surprise. But the icon and other clues will give it away anyway, so the name change thing is not compulsory.

Katja

I'm in.

Katje,

Ik denk dat hij bedoelt dat als je de coin activeert, je de coin meteen op naam zet van je suprisecacher.

Je hoeft dan niet te adopteren.

groetjes

Katje? £$@&$@!!

If you activate the coin with your own name first, you can make an extra special coin page :laughing:

That's why I proposed the adoption process. But if people find this cumbersome, they can also ask 'their' person to activate the coin directly.

Katja

Katje,

Ik denk dat hij bedoelt dat als je de coin activeert, je de coin meteen op naam zet van je suprisecacher.

groetjes

I think it works either way:

A] SURPRISER ACTIVATION

1. activate the coin

2. create whatever page you want with the coin's goal

3. contact your surprisee to start the adoption process

4. drop it in a random cache and watch it go!

B] SURPRISEE ACTIVATION

1. send the tracking # and activation # to your surprisee

2. wait for them to activate and set up the coin's page

3. drop it in a random cache and watch it go!

Obviously if you want to use a coin that is already in your inventory, option A] is your only option.

Either way, I'm in and my email has been sent!

Cheers!

Katje? £$@&$@!!

If you activate the coin with your own name first, you can make an extra special coin page ;)

That's why I proposed the adoption process. But if people find this cumbersome, they can also ask 'their' person to activate the coin directly.

Katja

Katje,

groetjes

Hello kdv

Sorry, i made a mistake with your name. :laughing:

So far 14 people from 6 different countries have signed up, so at least 14 more coins will be travelling soon!

I will be assigning destinations tomorrow, and until then, feel free to join in too.

People who sign up after today will simply be included in a new batch :o

If anything is unclear, send me a mail or post your question here!

Katja

All missions have been sent out. Please contact me if you signed up for this and haven't received a mail with details yet.

One important thing I forgot to mention in the mail:

Before you drop your coin in a cache, please include a small mission tag/card/note with it, indicating where it's supposed to go and explaining that it's a gift for someone, discouraging people to 'misplace' the coin.

Thanks and have fun!

Katja

Research done, I had a coin that my secret person was searching :D

Coin is activated, page setup finished, adoptation request mailed out a few minutes ago! I will post the reference number of the coin as soon as the adoptation process is finished.

I won't have the time to release the coin until next weekend.

:D Steinwälzer Thank you Thank you. We love that little Gecko coin. Now here is hoping it makes it all the way to Missouri. We are a bit crazed today but tonight I will be changing the origin point to Germany. :lol:

We have our coin for our person. Today it is going on a photo shoot . Hopefully by tonight the adoption will be sent out.

Thanks again for TB1XQTJ !!!!!

I just came into the forums, and saw I was a day late for the first run. I would like to add my name and coin to the list. I have a coin that has an icon, which covers many coins thus who is getting the coin does not know what it looks like, thus one of the issues is covered that was brought up before. Information sent. Thanks. :D

Received my surprise, trade, & travel persons name and am working on it.

Thank you kdv

Coin ready to travel, adoption request sent. Will try and get placed in a cache today.

TB244TB

:o

On its way to you....placed in cache GCK7E5

Edited by bvnlj

1. Participating - YES

2. Nick/destination received - YES 3/1/08

3. Outgoing coin released - later this week

Our adoption request just went out. We had a lot of fun designing the page for this cacher and their surprise coin. We hope they like it. The coin we chose was not on their seeking list. They posted on their geocaching profile that they really wanted this coin. :laughing::D:D

TB1TAJV

Our adoption request just went out. We had a lot of fun designing the page for this cacher and their surprise coin. We hope they like it. The coin we chose was not on their seeking list. They posted on their geocaching profile that they really wanted this coin. :laughing::D:D

TB1TAJV

THANK YOU so much !

You all need to check out the coinpage they´ve designed for me and my coin. It´s absolutely great !

The little boy giving the coin a kiss for luck just makes me go ahhhhhhh.

They even manage to get some swedish in there too and a flag WOW

THANK YOU Woodland Clan

TB1TAJV