HCx inaccuracy after upgrade to 2.60/2.60

mikser

I have seen this with my HCX. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen when I first had it.

a few weeks ago I went walking for about 8 hours. on what looks like a figure 8 trail. when I looked at my track. it starts in the parking lot, does the top loop and passes exactly by the starting point (I walked past my car). but the ending point was a couple hundred yards from my car. veiwing the track in google earth, you can make out some of the trail. the first half stays on trail. and passes right though the parking lot. you can see the bottom half of the track drift farther off trail. and leaving me a couple hundred yards away from the parking lot at the end.

I also have shorter (1hour) tracks. where I walked up and down the same trail. and then track back is 100+ yards away from the track up.

In case any Garmin folks are trying to understand the problem following TopherAC's call to cust.serv., here's an updated summary of the variables.

Potential causes of the problem...please update the list if you have information:

low speed navigation - confirmed- low speed in all instances reported

electronic compass interference - eliminated - occurs with electronic compass on or off

backlight interference - maybe

WAAS - eliminated - occurs with WAAS on or off

challenging conditions - eliminated - users have experienced it in the open

non-Garmin maps - eliminated - happens with Topo2008, CityNav NA 08/09, Garmin MG NA7, and custom

specific to 2.6/2.6 - confirmed - both from webupdate and direct from factory

Time/cumulative error - maybe - many have seen it happen after time on the trail

SD card size - eliminated - 2GB down to 256MB card provided with unit

Track Log on - maybe - Many have had the track log on, don't know about everybody

Model - occuring on the Colorado and the Vista HCx

expandable (x) - maybe

(H)igh sensitivity - maybe

Terrain - seems prettyvariable among those posting

Any others?

I have also seen this on the Legend HCx

I see the same behavior on the Rino 530HCx

I am sitting here looking at an out and back hike with track logs that miss each other by a couple of hundred feet. It seems like it tries to correct itself after a while, but never gets it quite right, all the way back to the car.

I'd put money down that it has to do with the units inability to accuratley track walking speeds. The speed reading doesn't stabalize until your doing at least 4-5 mph. Anything up to that, and it fluctuates wildly. While walking a steady pace today, I was watching mine fluctuate regularly from 1.5 to 3.8 mph and everything in between. That can't be good.

I've gotten EPE of down to +/- 7 feet. I can believe that, so long as I have been standing still for a time. It seems this little unit knows where it is, but can't always figure out where it's going once it starts moving.

I'm going to shoot an e-mail to Garmin tomorrow. While there are other, more important worldly issues to be concerned with, it, none-the-less, should work properly. I would encourage others to do the same. My 60Cx has never experienced any of this odd behavior.

Soon to be a year they released the new H series. We all consider normal to find a few issues in the 1st few weeks after a new product release and usually we expect most of the issues to be addressed after 2, 3 or 4 months.

But 1 year after and still having such issues?

Soon to be a year they released the new H series. We all consider normal to find a few issues in the 1st few weeks after a new product release and usually we expect most of the issues to be addressed after 2, 3 or 4 months.

But 1 year after and still having such issues?

This appears to be a bug that is in the newest firmware release-so only a few months old.

I am sitting here looking at an out and back hike with track logs that miss each other by a couple of hundred feet. It seems like it tries to correct itself after a while, but never gets it quite right, all the way back to the car.

I'd put money down that it has to do with the units inability to accuratley track walking speeds. The speed reading doesn't stabalize until your doing at least 4-5 mph. Anything up to that, and it fluctuates wildly. While walking a steady pace today, I was watching mine fluctuate regularly from 1.5 to 3.8 mph and everything in between. That can't be good.

I've gotten EPE of down to +/- 7 feet. I can believe that, so long as I have been standing still for a time. It seems this little unit knows where it is, but can't always figure out where it's going once it starts moving.

I'm going to shoot an e-mail to Garmin tomorrow. While there are other, more important worldly issues to be concerned with, it, none-the-less, should work properly. I would encourage others to do the same. My 60Cx has never experienced any of this odd behavior.

I have seen the same thing with my Rino 520HCX which has the same reciever as the Etrex line and you are right while I had my 60CSX I never had this issue. A couple of weeks ago I thought my units were defective while I was in the "goto" mode going up a steep mountain and the compass would not adjust itself yet the distance was counting down but I just wasn't moving fast enough for it to recognize my movement... was a little frustrating but now I adjust my walking speed when I need it.

I thought I would toss this out there...

When I went to GW, I did not have custom maps loaded. I cached *all* day in a wildlife preserve without the inaccuracy issue. The terrain was much more open than I typically hike and the opportunity to lose sat reception was nothing like when I do encounter the problem. I still thought it was worth noting as it sounds like Garmin was pointing the finger to custom maps.

I still thought it was worth noting as it sounds like Garmin was pointing the finger to custom maps.

Yes, Garmin is trying to point the finger that way when you contact Customer support, but several of the previous posts have confirmed that they've seen the problem when using Topo2008, CityNav NA NT. So, while it seems like an easy target, I think the evidence points somewhere else.

I am not running custom maps either and I have experienced the problem. I'm using US TOPO 2008.

I gather many service technicians for these companies are trained to point the finger. What's frustrating is that many of us are smart enough to eliminate common issues before calling tech support, since its normally a last resort hassle anyway. I've had similar issues with other electronics, including weather stations and laptop computers. Problems that they try to dance around.

If the unit cannot determine slow speed movement that well, than I would doubt the accuracy of any slow speed movement or tracking. It must be frustrating for anyone that geocaches with it. They've got an issue with many of these units with slow speeds that's very obvious by watching the speed as you walk. Lets keep bugging them and eventually, they will fix it.

I still thought it was worth noting as it sounds like Garmin was pointing the finger to custom maps.

Which is nonsense seeing as track logs retrieve from the unit after the fact show the same phenomenon as well, and these are unaffected by the presence or absence of maps, custom or otherwise, on the unit.

In case any Garmin folks are trying to understand the problem following TopherAC's call to cust.serv., here's an updated summary of the variables.

Potential causes of the problem...please update the list if you have information:

low speed navigation - confirmed- low speed in all instances reported

electronic compass interference - eliminated - occurs with electronic compass on or off

backlight interference - maybe

WAAS - eliminated - occurs with WAAS on or off

challenging conditions - eliminated - users have experienced it in the open

non-Garmin maps - eliminated - happens with Topo2008, CityNav NA 08/09, Garmin MG NA7, and custom

specific to 2.6/2.6 - confirmed - both from webupdate and direct from factory

Time/cumulative error - maybe - many have seen it happen after time on the trail

SD card size - eliminated - 2GB down to 256MB card provided with unit

Track Log on - maybe - Many have had the track log on, don't know about everybody

Model - occuring on the Colorado and the Vista HCx

expandable (x) - maybe

(H)igh sensitivity - maybe

Terrain - seems prettyvariable among those posting

Any others?

My experience: Track log on was not ON when it happened.

It doesn't happen on eTrex Vista (legacy - B&W display) while it happens on Vista Hcx, same place same time.

When it happened, I was either close to a building or close to a cliff face.

By the way, high sensitivity coupled with a reflective surface could be an explanation for me...

Not using custom maps...

Edited by TransFXB

I have the Legend Hcx with 2.6 update on it and have done a few hikes and have found, with the help of out and back hikes where I can compare tracks along the same piece of trail, that sometimes the track will suddenly veer off course and then come back, often by a large margin. When I overlay the track onto the trail in my National Geographic TOPO software, about 3/4 of the time the track lines up pretty well with the trail with a few areas where either heading out or coming back, the GPS suddenly veers away and then returns. It is not like a new ridge suddenly appeared. I encountered the same tree cover and ridges as I did on the way out and back. I think it may be due to low speed because I am not exactly running up these trails. I think this too may be why my distance measurements are off.

I have the Legend Hcx with 2.6 update on it and have done a few hikes and have found, with the help of out and back hikes where I can compare tracks along the same piece of trail, that sometimes the track will suddenly veer off course and then come back, often by a large margin. When I overlay the track onto the trail in my National Geographic TOPO software, about 3/4 of the time the track lines up pretty well with the trail with a few areas where either heading out or coming back, the GPS suddenly veers away and then returns. It is not like a new ridge suddenly appeared. I encountered the same tree cover and ridges as I did on the way out and back. I think it may be due to low speed because I am not exactly running up these trails. I think this too may be why my distance measurements are off.

This does not sound like the same issue that others are reporting. A defining characteristic of that issue is that the error is persistent. It does not "veer off course and then come back". It veers off the proper path and stays off, typically until you power-cycle the unit.

What you are observing sounds more like typical "wandering" behavior of high-sensitivity receivers, particularly in challenging (multi-path) conditions. It is not unusual to see an occasional quick change in apparent position, followed by an equally quick return to something close to the original position. If you are logging the track, this will appear as a "spike". The apparent speed of travel along the spike is typically faster than a walking pace -- sometimes much faster.

As for small differences between the out-leg and the back-leg, you do have similar tree cover and topography. What you probably do not have is a similar satellite constellation. As a result, some difference between the out and back tracks is to be expected. However, it should not be more than a few tens of feet, at most.

the maps mean nothing. if I walk in a big couple mile circle. and my ending tracks are 200 feet away from the starting tracks. the maps mean F all. If I turned all maps off the tracks are still in the same place on the screen. with the start and end points not aligned.

if I walked around a lake. and the tracks were 200 feet away from the lake. then the map could be blamed.

there is a big difference here between these 2 things.

Edited by Smac999

the maps mean nothing. if I walk in a big couple mile circle. and my ending tracks are 200 feet away from the starting tracks. the maps mean F all. If I turned all maps off they tracks are still in the same place on the screen. with the start and end points not aligned.

if I walked around a lake. and the tracks were 200 feet away from the lake. then the map could be blamed.

there is a big difference here between these 2 things.

If others not using custom maps are experiencing the issue that's great (well, not great...), but if the software is interacting with the maps, custom or otherwise, I see no reason why a change in the software could not potentially cause an issue somewhere. It happens all the time in software development.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Garmin's finger pointing towards custom maps, I was simply trying to provide as much info about my unit as possible, especially as it seemed relevant in light of what Garmin thinks the issue is. If it *was* custom maps and they worked before 2.6/2.6, that would mean in my mind that Garmin broke something they could fix, so why not post that I didn't encounter the issue the one time I don't use custom maps?

If anyone needs or wants to downgrade their firmware, all old versions can be found here: http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/

Note that if you downgrade, all user data will be lost and settings returned to factory defaults.

Can someone tell me how to downgrade? I dowloaded the file "eTrexVistaHCx_250.exe" from the above link, but it would not work, saying the device is unresponsive and to ensure that;

1. the devices interface option is set to "Garmin or Host" (how do I do that?)

2. the cable is set to the correct serial port (even though I had selected the USB option)

3. the device is turned on

I have not yet encountered the problem, but I just upgraded tonight then immediately afterwards found this thread (DOH!)

Thanks

[edit] or am I supposed to download one of the GPSChipsetTypeG files? If so, which one?

Edited by Jester966

I have not yet encountered the problem, but I just upgraded tonight then immediately afterwards found this thread (DOH!)

It is my understanding from other forum posters, that the firmware cannot be downgraded, only the software. So, it seems that you may get to join our misery. However, for whatever reason, not everybody has experienced it, so maybe you'll be fortunate. Can't say really since we don't know what is causing it all.

I spoke to a Garmin rep again today about the accuracy issue and....you guessed it....he never heard of the issue. We talked for a while about the issue and he mentioned that he owned a Vista HCX and uses it regularly without ever running into the issue that we are seeing. This leads me to my question.....given the significant number of units that Garmin has sold that use the same GPS chip and the relatively small population of people that are complaining about this issue, isn't it possible that this could be a manufacturing defect (i.e. GPS chip) that does not effect all units? Has anybody exchanged their unit for another one and experienced the same problem?

I find it hard to believe that everybody who owns one of these units (Colorado, Vista HCX, Legend HCX, Rino) is quietly living with this significant flaw. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm returning the unit because it is virtually useless as is and I am thinking about having REI send me another one to see if it is unit specific. I would rather just buy the 60csx, but I can't justify rewarding a company (costs more even though the technology is 2-3 years old) for failing to manufacture quality products or at least stand behind their products.

I spoke to a Garmin rep again today about the accuracy issue and....you guessed it....he never heard of the issue. We talked for a while about the issue and he mentioned that he owned a Vista HCX and uses it regularly without ever running into the issue that we are seeing. This leads me to my question.....given the significant number of units that Garmin has sold that use the same GPS chip and the relatively small population of people that are complaining about this issue, isn't it possible that this could be a manufacturing defect (i.e. GPS chip) that does not effect all units? Has anybody exchanged their unit for another one and experienced the same problem?

I find it hard to believe that everybody who owns one of these units (Colorado, Vista HCX, Legend HCX, Rino) is quietly living with this significant flaw. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm returning the unit because it is virtually useless as is and I am thinking about having REI send me another one to see if it is unit specific. I would rather just buy the 60csx, but I can't justify rewarding a company (costs more even though the technology is 2-3 years old) for failing to manufacture quality products or at least stand behind their products.

First, how many people have updated to the latest firmware? Second,out of those that have done this, how many are savy enough to realize this is a bug, and not just some random occurrence due to bad reception? Third, out of that group, how many are motivated to post on this site?- I think when you see this many people posting, it probably is a significant occurrence.

I spoke to a Garmin rep again today about the accuracy issue and....you guessed it....he never heard of the issue.

Heh. The only way this will get their attention, if it's mentioned in a high profile review of one of the units.

...or if we manage to directly contact an intelligent enough Garmin engineer.

TopherAC, I sure wished I had the name of the rep you spoke with - I wonder if he would trade units with me?

This next week I'm heading out on vacation, was planning on hiking and caching. If nobody hears from me after next week I'll be wandering around the UP trying to figure out where I really am verses where the Vista HCX thinks I am - jk.

As you all know there are reports of the same issues in the Colorado and Rhino Series as well, all apparently with this new high sensitivity chip set and the latest chipset software (with a few exceptions of people who have both and everything seems AOK). Its unlikely the manufacture would not know about this issue by now. Its also likely that if they do know about it, it maybe difficult for them to admit it until a fix is available.

After next week I will offer my unit back to Garmin if they would like to see it. I am just hoping they have something to offer back if not then - soon.....

As you all know there are reports of the same issues in the Colorado and Rhino Series as well, all apparently with this new high sensitivity chip set and the latest chipset software (with a few exceptions of people who have both and everything seems AOK). Its unlikely the manufacture would not know about this issue by now. Its also likely that if they do know about it, it maybe difficult for them to admit it until a fix is available.

I'm not sure we can say how prevalent the problem is. In particular, there may well be a lot more than "a few exceptions of people who have both and everything seems AOK." People who do have the problem, and who recognize it as a problem, and who know about the forum will likely post. But even if they watch the forum, people who do not have (or have not observed) the problem are unlikely to post. So it's really hard to say how many units exhibit the problem.

That said, it is pretty hard to believe that Garmin is unaware of the issue. They do watch the forum. And several people with both HCx and Colorado units have posted indicating that they have called tech support about it. I tend to agree that they are not willing to admit to it until they have a fix, if then. Admitting that several of their flagship GPSr models don't actually know where they are some of the time would be a PR nightmare for them.

Maybe Garmin is aware of the issue, only not admitting it. Either way, they are handling it in a pretty sh*tty way.

What harm would it be to admit that they are investigating? What harm could it cause to distribute the previous chipset firmware to affected people?

When I called Garmin, I was very frustrated that they didn't even have a way to track my call. If I call again, I have to explain the whole thing over again to a new service rep. I thought that I'd try the email service instead. It took them 5 days to respond. They said that I'd corrupted the software somehow and that I needed to do a hard reset of the unit and to download new software (though I'm running 2.6/2.6 - factory installed). It seems like they have either have no usable problem tracking system in place, or else, as the previous poster mentioned, they aren't going to admit it until they have a fix.

I know it may sound like I have nothing better to do (which isn't the case).....but I spoke with yet another Garmin rep just now. Earlier posts gave me an idea to try to get Garmin to provide the prior GPS chipset firmware so that we could downgrade.

The customer service rep did try downgrading the firmware, but noticed that it didn't downgrade the chipset. He said that the chipset firmware can be downgraded on the 60csx and so he thought it would be possible to do the same with the Vista HCX. He contacted his boss who apparently sent an e-mail to engineering to see if they can get a hold of the prior chipset version. He has my name and number and I have his. We will just have to wait and see what comes of this.

I've recently upgraded the firmware in my Vista HCx from 2.40/2.30 to 2.60/2.60 with WebUpdater. After this I'm sometimes seeing much degraded accuracy.

The peculiarity of this is that I can get 20m (60ft) of inaccuracy shown even with excellent satellite reception. The actual error (compared to the position on the map) is usually much greater, like 50m (150ft). When this happens, and I switch the unit off and immediately switch it on, then it shows the exact position on the map, and the location accuracy shown is 4m (12ft). So the reception is indeed good, only the GPS becomes confused, and doesn't calculate the position correctly.

I've asked Garmin support, and they replied that I should perform a reset (PAGE-ENTER-POWERON), but it didn't make a difference. I've also tried to downgrade the firmware to 2.40, but this only changed the "Software Version", the "GPS SW Version" remained 2.60, and I'm still seeing the same problem.

Anyone having a similar experience?

I have exactly the same issue with 3 brandnew Rino 530HCx. I called customer service and they told me to autolocate the units (hold CALL while powering on). That didn't solve anything. I also emailed customer service. They answered after a couple of days that I should reset the units (hold PAGE and ENTER while powering on). Again the units show the same behavior. One additional observation I made today when walking with the 3 Rinos and my old 60CSx is that the 60 CSx would show my speed (usually between 1.7 and 2.3 miles/hour) while the Rinos would show 0 for most of the time and only occasionly (like once every 30 seconds to 60 seconds) display a speed which then was usually higher than what the 60CSx showed.

One additional observation I made today when walking with the 3 Rinos and my old 60CSx is that the 60 CSx would show my speed (usually between 1.7 and 2.3 miles/hour) while the Rinos would show 0 for most of the time and only occasionly (like once every 30 seconds to 60 seconds) display a speed which then was usually higher than what the 60CSx showed.

Same here on the HCx. In fact my old Geko201 shows better speed readings basically all the time, than the HCx. These MTK chipsets (used in all new high sensitivity Garmin units) seem to be incredibly broken with low speed navigation. They just didn't test it properly in that mode. Probably drove around with it all the time, and hadn't tried walking.

Same here. The speed doesn't not work properly below 4-5 mph. That is an obvious problem that Garmin should have no trouble seeing by taking a few units out for a little walk. And the speed is broken whether you are under tree cover or completely in the clear.

It sounds like it reaches across multiple units. Keeping hounding them. I e-mailed them and got a very generic reply "Thank you for contacting garmin international. We have recieved your request, and blah, blah, blah."

They've got to know by now people are unhappy. This is a pretty serious flaw, and is probably connected to the double tracks that we notice while walking the same path out and back.

Maybe we call and start asking for supervisors, managers, etc.?? I don't know what the answer is.

[snip]

So far I haven't seen the problem described. Yes the versions are 2.60/2.60.

I have Metroguide versions 4 and 6 loaded, Topo (not 2008), and miscjunk custom maps for Colorado loaded. I have lock to road OFF so the receiver won't be changing the position to match the maps anyway.

The receiver was purchased around Sept./Oct. It certainly could be a problem with a certain hardware version of the MediaTek chip.

I have a Vista HCx (Software 2.5, GPS SW 2.3) and have not had this problem. I bought my unit from REI in Nov 2007. I'm glad that I read this thread now, as usually I am pretty quick to get on the latest firmware. I don't even use the odometer so that issue isn't a problem to me.

I find strange that Garmin is waiting so long to provide a fix. The least they could do is offer a way to downgrade both the "Software Version" and the "GPS SW Version" to a previous version. Not being able to downgrade is a huge bug.

I write code for a living, and when I get bug reports from customers they are usually vague and just say "your software is not working" etc. etc. and I have to try a dozen things to reproduce their problem. The information provided here is a GOLD MINE and I hope that the Garmin developers read it and use it to solve the problem.

FWIW I tested out my Legend HCx before upgrading to 2.6 and noticed straight away that it didn't like me walking below 2 mph (the updates to the direction arrow become hesitant and intermittent). It looks to me similar to the "static navigation" problem we had with the SiRFIII chip. I haven't noticed a problem with actual accuracy however, and nothing seems to have changed since the upgrade (apart from the "cold" start issue being fixed).

As there seems to be several problem discussed in this thread, let me mention that I recently used Garmin Topo USA and Topo Canada with the unit. Some of these maps are highly inaccurate in their calibration: the GPS shows you walking along 100ft parallel to a street when you're actually in the middle of it!

I just received my Legend HCx. I tried to find out which version I have. I followed the instructions, from a previous poster and another link as well but when I get to the System setup page there is no option which says "software version". Any ideas?

When you get to the System Setup page, press the bottom left button. The third option is "Software Version".

I just received my Legend HCx. I tried to find out which version I have. I followed the instructions, from a previous poster and another link as well but when I get to the System setup page there is no option which says "software version". Any ideas?

sounds like your not doing the last step, once your in setup, then system you have to press the menu/find button(lower left) and select software version.

To review, you can check software version goto: main menu, setup, system, press menu and select software version.

I just got one of these units and Plan on using it for hiking. What I dont understand is dont most people use hand held units for slow speeds such as walking. If i wanted a unit for my car i would have gotten one made for autos with a bigger screen and a neat little voice that tells you when to turn....So how can Hand held units be having problems at slow speeds? Sounds like a huge issue....

sounds like your not doing the last step, once your in setup, then system you have to press the menu/find button(lower left) and select software version.

To review, you can check software version goto: main menu, setup, system, press menu and select software version.

Thanks...is my face red... While I have your attention... I was reading the manual and when I picked up the unit it had marked a trail going into a lake nearby (about 250ft.) I hadn't moved?!

i have a etrex Legend HCX, and i have the newest upgrade in firmware.......i used to have a etrex H and it was more accurate and the pseudo-compass was correct. Im tempted in dowgrading or swapping to another brand. I went with garmin because it has the heading/bearing/compass but with the legend HCx it doesnt even work. Ayn Suggestions. (where can i get technical data on garmin units, what kind of antenna, chipset, ......?

As if this isn't a kick in the face...I finally got Garmin to e-mail me the prior GPS chipset (version 3.50) but I am unable to load it to the unit. Since receiving the file, I have spoke to Garmin reps a couple of times and nobody has been able to help me get the file loaded. I can't even get Garmin to answer the question of whether or not you can load only one RGN file (chipset without the firmware).

It is pretty clear that Garmin has some major issues....not sure how much longer I will stick with them while they continue to think this problem is related to "drifting" (there words, not mine).

If someone can instruct me on how to attach a file to a posting on this website then you guys can have at it (GPS Chipset version 2.50) to see if anybody has any better luck than I did.

I just got one of these units and Plan on using it for hiking. What I dont understand is dont most people use hand held units for slow speeds such as walking. If i wanted a unit for my car i would have gotten one made for autos with a bigger screen and a neat little voice that tells you when to turn....So how can Hand held units be having problems at slow speeds? Sounds like a huge issue....

I don't use the Legend HCx for hiking: it's too big and heavy to hold all day. I use a Foretrex for that, and carry the Legend for finding caches or when the tree cover is too bad for the old Foretrex. I find the Legend works well unless you're on a steep hill where you have to move at less than 2 mph, and even then you get used to the intermittent sticking. So it's not really a huge issue, just an irritant.

IMO there's no unit on the market suitable for serious hiking anyway, the long-in-the-tooth Foretrex being the closest to ideal.

All I can say is I cannot applause Garmin for support.

This is not the 1st thread I see about trying to get help and information from Garmin and all threads have the similar length.

I like my Vista HCx but I don't like the fact the company don't support the product more than this and this will make me think twice before getting another Garmin product. There seems to be more company into the GPSr business in the last months, that's good for us.

I like the Colorado initiative and had hopes for it but for this unit also it seems hard to get details about problems and fixes underway from Garmin.

Yes, it is normal to read more people seeking help than praising their GPSr on a forum but we must admit Garmin is lacking in support services. In the last page we still can read people who contacted Garmin about this issue and they told us they never heard of it!

2.70 or whatever the number should come one day but that's about it, we have no idea what it will fix, no date and Garmin will never tell there will be an update.

Hi,

I succeeded to downgrade my Vista HCX to GPS firmware version 2.30 (factory default) as follows:

1. Download the file from: http://www.garmin.com/software/GPSChipsetT...onFile__230.rgn and save it somewhere;

2. Connect your Vista/Legend HCX to the PC with the USB cable;

2. Make a shortcut of WebUpdater on the desktop and drag&drop the file you saved onto the shortcut;

3. WebUpdater will launch and it will install the GPS firmware to version 2.30. Ignore the WebUpdater proposal to update to a newer version (2.60).

4. After GPS reboot you can check you have 2.30 GPS firmware version and please patient to gain a fix as ephemerids data will be lost.

This solved the inaccuracy problem for me but reverted to the odometer bug.

Cheers

Hi,

I succeeded to downgrade my Vista HCX to GPS firmware version 2.30 (factory default) as follows:

1. Download the file from: http://www.garmin.com/software/GPSChipsetT...onFile__230.rgn and save it somewhere;

2. Connect your Vista/Legend HCX to the PC with the USB cable;

2. Make a shortcut of WebUpdater on the desktop and drag&drop the file you saved onto the shortcut;

3. WebUpdater will launch and it will install the GPS firmware to version 2.30. Ignore the WebUpdater proposal to update to a newer version (2.60).

4. After GPS reboot you can check you have 2.30 GPS firmware version and please patient to gain a fix as ephemerids data will be lost.

This solved the inaccuracy problem for me but reverted to the odometer bug.

Cheers

Thanks astronomenov!

I can confirm, that with this method it is possible to downgrade the chipset firmware (ephemeris wasn't lost for me). I'll test it over the weekend to see if the inaccuracy is fixed.

Thanks again.