HCx inaccuracy after upgrade to 2.60/2.60

mikser

FWIW,

I have upgraded my venture HC to 2.7 and have not noticed this "exactly".

I have noticed that 'at times' when I have 9-12 sats locked, and then I get WAAS D's on them, my epe will be a few feet 'greater' than without the WAAS data.

I did find an interesting note on another website that might explain this....

"It seems that Garmin will favor differentially corrected satellites when at least four exist to the exclusion of regular satellites. If the four are in a poor geometric relationship the epe number, and possibly the accuracy of the solution, can be worse than it was with a regular GPS solution. "

So I read this to mean that even though I have locked onto more than 4 sats (some with moderate signal gain as they are closer to the horizon...) The unit will take the 4 greatest strength signals (likely the sats just above my head...) and use those.

Result: I'm able to get more precise readings of the data from the sats over my head, however, because they are so close together I have less accuracy than if I let the unit ignore the WAAS and use sats that are more spread out around me.....

Not sure if that makes sense... but just a thought...

How that all plays into the upgrade issue.... not sure....

Again, for what it's worth....

I'm wondering if the problem folks are discussing here is the same one I encountered last weekend. I took a short hike on a route that I follow regularly, and at one point my position (which had been following the road on my map perfectly) suddenly shifted about a hundred yards east. This shift persisted while I walked another 45 minutes, and then corrected itself just as suddenly as it started. All of this was in an area with wide-open views, and WAAS on.

I am also on 2.60/2.60

Edited by oxothuk

... suddenly shifted about a hundred yards east. ...

I am also on 2.60/2.60

Same here except shifted to the west. Looking at my track log on mapsource, wife was pretty impressed that I hiked substantially into the lake while still managed to stay dry.

If you were beside a lake, the problem was multipath errors in the high-sensitivity chipset caused by the satellite signals bouncing off the lake surface.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my Vista HCx from "Software version 2.40/ GPS SW Version 2.40" to the 2.60 that is available on the Garmin site. Having stumbled across this thread, I am having second thoughts! Is there any more information about this potential bug? I think I'll wait until someone posts some more positive results. I really don't have any compelling reason to upgrade except that my car nav (Tomtom) shows better accuracy than than my dedicated geocaching Garmin! The Tomtom consistently puts me 5~8 feet closer to a cache, regardless of tree cover or WAAS reception.

I have had my Vista HCx since December and have upgraded unit and chipset software several times to present version of 2.6 / 2.6. While most times my Vista HCx seems to work perfectly with wonderful satelite reception and great accuracy I seem to be seeing the same symptoms described intermittently.

This past weekend I was hiking a nearby loop in a state park. To get to and from the loop I take the same trail which happens to cross a creek via bridge. Upon return I downloaded the track and noticed that my return track was shown 2 tenths of a mile upstream from where my track crossed the bridge originally. It seemed like it drifted off this distance randomly, didnt seem to follow the original path. About 10 or 15 minutes later it drifted back to original accurate track. Everything seems accurate before and after this event.

While I didnt happen to look at GPS when it was in this drift mode, throughout the hike I had looked at satelite reception many times, always with at least 9 or 10 sats +-12/20 ft. Not much for leaves on the trees here yet.

I really like this Vista with high sensitivity chip set, but I think I'll keep the 60cs in my backpack a bit longer.

Edited by 2 sleuths

Now that spring is here, I do some geocaching in motorcycle and almost each time I stop close to the place and get off the bike and look at the GPSr, the arrow is frozen so either I wait for it to unfreeze but it is much faster to turn off/on the unit.

I mention it because it is happening very often now that I'm going in motorcycle. Seems it does not like abrupt stop or something.

was thinking I'd hold off on upgrading my new vista hcx firmware until I see if this issue gets resolved... but then I checked... it shipped with 2.6. so, keeping my eyes peeled on this.

Dumb question for people with the issue....

Is this one of those deals where if you let it drift, and watch it be wrong "live," as you hike... but then when you get home and transfer it to a map, the track is right on and not incorrect?

This past weekend I was hiking a nearby loop in a state park. To get to and from the loop I take the same trail which happens to cross a creek via bridge. Upon return I downloaded the track and noticed that my return track was shown 2 tenths of a mile upstream from where my track crossed the bridge originally. It seemed like it drifted off this distance randomly, didnt seem to follow the original path. About 10 or 15 minutes later it drifted back to original accurate track. Everything seems accurate before and after this event.

How were you carrying the GPS? Besides trees, and mountains/valleys, your body can block satellite signals…maybe enough to affect accuracy for part of the hike.

How were you carrying the GPS? Besides trees, and mountains/valleys, your body can block satellite signals…maybe enough to affect accuracy for part of the hike.

I was indeed carrying in my coat pocket, can't say for fact my body didnt effect the signal, but I do know everytime I pulled GPS out of pocket it had excellent signal, it does take several seconds to look, maybe enough time to aquire more satelites. I've also walked the same path, same coat, since several times with no issues. It does seem like you can put this HCx anyplace and it obtains decent reception.

was thinking I'd hold off on upgrading my new vista hcx firmware until I see if this issue gets resolved... but then I checked... it shipped with 2.6. so, keeping my eyes peeled on this.

Dumb question for people with the issue....

Is this one of those deals where if you let it drift, and watch it be wrong "live," as you hike... but then when you get home and transfer it to a map, the track is right on and not incorrect?

No, people have plotted tracks that clearly show the problem.

I was indeed carrying in my coat pocket, can't say for fact my body didnt effect the signal, but I do know everytime I pulled GPS out of pocket it had excellent signal, it does take several seconds to look, maybe enough time to aquire more satelites. I've also walked the same path, same coat, since several times with no issues. It does seem like you can put this HCx anyplace and it obtains decent reception.

I assume the HCx has it’s antenna above the display. To give yourself an idea about how much the body can block signals, turn on the GPS outside, let it acquire a location fix, look at the satellite bar graph page and put your had over the antenna area. You will likely see the signal strength drop very noticeably. Your hand is a lot thinner than the rest of your body.

Walked to work this morning... Marked home before I left. Walked home in the afternoon... When I got to my house, I was not at my mark for home... Shut off the unit, turned it on, boom... right onthe mark.

Wholly unscientific, I know... but I'm going to start playing to see if the discrepancy happens a lot.

I just got a Vista HCx (preloaded with 2.6/2.6) and was hiking this weekend. The unit started out tracking exactly with our progress, but as we went further, the error of our position increased. This was especially noticeable at waypoints that were physical objects (switchbacks, trail intersections, etc.). We were comparing with my friend's 60CSx and his was right on using the same waypoints. The accuracy also changed from 12ft at the beginning to 250ft by mile 13 and the electronic compass was going berserk flipping back and forth(and yes, I was holding it horizontally and walking in a straight line). We had 10-11 satellites the whole time with most being WAAS (and WAAS was enabled). We were up high on a mountain ridge and the satellite strength stayed with full bars for at least 7 satellites the whole time.

I talked to Garmin and they got hung up on my custom map and were no help.

Since then, several of us have started some tests. I have left the unit recording tracks on my desk for each of the past 3 nights. With the electronic compass on and calibrated, the track wanders less than 30 feet over night. With the electronic compass on, but not calibrated, the track wanders over 300ft over night. Next tests will be run with the electronic compass turned off and then I hope to repeat the tests during 1 hour walks.

Why would the electronic compass have any effect on the GPS's reported location and track? Isn't lat/long the same independent of any changes in some electronic compass?

Why would the electronic compass have any effect on the GPS's reported location and track? Isn't lat/long the same independent of any changes in some electronic compass?

This may be a power/noise issue. People with Colorado's are seeing similar issues, seems when the backlight is on it gets worse. See the corresponding thread in this group:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=184158

Also it is interesting to note they are also running 2.xx/2.60, with the same GPSr chip.

Edited by MacFlash

I've been watching this thread hoping that HCx owners might figure this problem out because I do believe it is the exact same issue we are seeing on the Colorado which runs the same MediaTek GPS and the same firmware.

For the last few weeks I thought the issue might be directly related to running with the backlight on full but I've since seen the problem without backlight. I still suspect that running the backlight might cause the Colorado to fail more frequently. If it is a power related issue running the compass could also cause more frequent failures. I'll play around on the Colorado to see if it might make a difference.

GO$Rs

Certainly could be a power/noise issue as MacFlash suggests. On the other hand, it could just be random variation. Your tests are 24 hours apart, which means different satellite constellations. And you're doing it indoors, where you are subject to multi-path reception. I would not be surprised to find wide variations in the amount of "wandering" even if the unit is working perfectly.

Certainly could be a power/noise issue as MacFlash suggests. On the other hand, it could just be random variation. Your tests are 24 hours apart, which means different satellite constellations. And you're doing it indoors, where you are subject to multi-path reception. I would not be surprised to find wide variations in the amount of "wandering" even if the unit is working perfectly.

At least with the failure mode I observe on the Colorado, and it seems that some are seeing on the HCx, I don't believe that this is the case. Once I observe the position error if I power cycle the unit it immediately jumps back to were I expect to be (assuming I have a good reference).

GO$Rs

At least with the failure mode I observe on the Colorado, and it seems that some are seeing on the HCx, I don't believe that this is the case. Once I observe the position error if I power cycle the unit it immediately jumps back to were I expect to be (assuming I have a good reference).

I agree completely. The fact that power cycling it restores the expected accuracy points to a software/firmware issue.

What I've also noticed is that this drift only happens when moving slowly (walking), when moving with any substantial speed the accuracy always stays very good, even with poor reception (just like before the firmware upgrade). So it seems to me, that this may have to do something with the earlier "low speed odometer" issue, that was fixed with this firmware. Apparently that fix may have broken the position calculation for low speed movement.

The Colorado issues also seem to come up only during low speed navigation.

Here's one other observation of the failure mode. Once it is in this "mode" it takes a very long time (on the order of 20 minutes) for the unit to drift back to the correct location. The few times I've been patient enough to do this I've stood still with a clear view of at least 9-10 satellites (5-bars) and very slowly the unit will flush the error out and move back to the right location.

I'm still not sure exactly how it starts other than it seems to happen more frequently when signal conditions are challenging.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs

Did not mean to imply that indoor/multi-path/power/noise was the issue with the Colorado -- or the HCx. Just that this particular testing method may well give inconclusive results.

Did not mean to imply that indoor/multi-path/power/noise was the issue with the Colorado -- or the HCx. Just that this particular testing method may well give inconclusive results.

That is true. I do see a fair number of people associating any location error they see on the Colorado to this problem. I see location errors on the CO as well and most of them are the normal variation that I would expect to see, but they tend to be small (<50'), they recover quickly once reception improves and based on EPE I'm usually aware that the problem exists.

The failure mode HCx and Colorado owners are seeing is usually larger (150'-700'), doesn't recover quickly unless you power cycle and EPE, while larger than normal, certainly doesn't cover the error I'm seeing.

GO$Rs

I'm still not sure exactly how it starts other than it seems to happen more frequently when signal conditions are challenging.

That's my feeling as well. There's a valley on a usual trail I take where the reception isn't very good, and even before the firmware upgrade I got some variation (~15m/45ft) on the tracklogs. But after leaving the valley, the tracks quickly became very tight again.

After the firmware upgrade going through this place almost always triggers this "drift mode", the inaccuracy persist for a long time, and sometimes even after all satelites come back at full strength. I'm not patient enough, and usually power cycle it before it can return to normal by itself.

WAAS: I have it normally turned off, and that's how originally I've seen this issue. Then I've tried with WAAS turned on as well, but it happens just the same. Apparently it doesn't have anything to do with WAAS.

I purchased a Vista HCx last month, which came loaded with 2.40/2.40. I was going to ask about upgrading, but after reading this thread I think I'll hold off at least until I understand more about the entire issue. (all of this is very new to me)

Thanks for the info!

quidni

On our hike, it may have been true that the error was worse when the conditions were more challenging. The worst point was hiking up a steep slope with some tree cover. But even at that time, my friend's 60CSx accuracy reading was still below 20ft.

I agree that the indoor test that I proposed earlier isn't optimal. For me, the problem appeared t be cumulative, getting worse as the hike went on. I don't have the time to go on 7 hour hikes very often, so I was hoping to get the time element included by having it inside. However, your concerns about reflections etc. are quite valid and must be considered.

I hope somebody can figure this problem out soon.

Welp, laid down a couple more tracks with the HCX 2.6/2.6 over the weekend. It seems I experience two different types of position error events. I guess similiar to others reports.

In the first, which I have described before, the GPS slowly drifts off actual position (over many points within the track) - in this case .2 miles and then slowly drifted back. This was over a 10-20 minute period.

In the second, I had what I believe is a large multipath event that the GPS never really recovers from. In this case over one point to the next point in my track GPS jumps about .2 miles then actually follows my path but skewed from actual position, over an hour with no correction. Now I don't believe the GPS continuously had multipath for over an hour, but I do know it couldnt did'nt correct itself.

Never once has GPS lost sat signal (little red warning screen with beep), typically have 7-10 sats with decent reception. Waas on, lite off, compass on

I have talked with Garmin, they say my problem sounds like multipath, and this can occur with high sensitive receivers. I am hoping they find whats really happening soon and can fix with software, multipath - or whatever it might be. I guess in the meantime all I can do is - when I really want to know where I am, keep my finger near the on/off button of the HCX - or my 60cs, and 3 sats.......

Edited by 2 sleuths

I have talked with Garmin, they say my problem sounds like multipath, and this can occur with high sensitive receivers. I am hoping they find whats really happening soon and can fix with software, multipath - or whatever it might be. I guess in the meantime all I can do is - when I really want to know where I am, keep my finger near the on/off button of the HCX - or my 60cs, and 3 sats.......

I'm in the process of providing information to Garmin about the same (similar?) issue seen on the Colorado and the one thing that convinced them (and me) that it wasn't a multi-path issue is that if power cycle the unit it will come back to the "expected" location. So while the error may have started as a multi-path event the drift error seems to get "averaged in" and isn't cleared unless you power cycle or stand with a clear view for about 20-25 minutes.

GO$Rs

In a way this reminds me of the way my old Magellan Sportrak used to work only worse. Magellans tended to average your readings to "reduce error" whether you wanted it to or not. Often you would overshoot a waypoint because it was averaging past readings. If one reading was a large error it got averaged into readings for a few minutes- here it seems to persist for a very long time or even get worse.

Edited by MacFlash

I am also having problems with my Vista HCX. I Hiked a 9 mile loop over the weekend and my starting and ending point are off by .2 miles.

I contacted customer support this morning and it was like talking to someone in denial (Garmin is the best...we never have problems...I would be shocked, etc, etc.). He insisted that he was not aware of this problem. He asked if I had run webupdater and I told him I was running version 2.60/2.60. He claimed that version 2.60 was not the most recent and said I should run webupdater. I tried to corner him to give me the latest version number or at least the date it was released and he wouldn't.

Sounds like the stall tactic has been implemented. Has anybody recently run webupdater and noticed a new version number?

I am also having problems with my Vista HCX. I Hiked a 9 mile loop over the weekend and my starting and ending point are off by .2 miles.

I contacted customer support this morning and it was like talking to someone in denial (Garmin is the best...we never have problems...I would be shocked, etc, etc.). He insisted that he was not aware of this problem. He asked if I had run webupdater and I told him I was running version 2.60/2.60. He claimed that version 2.60 was not the most recent and said I should run webupdater. I tried to corner him to give me the latest version number or at least the date it was released and he wouldn't.

Sounds like the stall tactic has been implemented. Has anybody recently run webupdater and noticed a new version number?

Just read this thread, plugged in my Vista HCx and ran the Webupdater. " No new updates" was the response I received. Rats!

I'm very concerned about this, I have noticed that since I purchased My Vista It does tend to drift, and only at slower speeds. Something I noticed going on for the last month is the waypoint I created for my parking spot at work is always off by about 100-150ft where as my Nuvi 360 is right on the spot or within a couple of feet. I figure that it is just the fact that I work at the Airport and maybe some form of interference with the Vista was happening. Usually as soon as drive away from that spot my accuracy improves within seconds.

A real relief, at least of sorts, to find this thread.

A bit after updating my Vista HCx to 2.60/2.60 I started experiencing exactly what the OP refers to. I had to do this just under 10 times yesterday and on another recent all day hike I had to do it almost 20 times (presumably as the conditions for reception were far worse).

It's hard to give the Maggie users in the group a hard time when we're standing at the cache and my GPSr is telling me to walk a couple hundred more feet down the trail...

Just read this thread, plugged in my Vista HCx and ran the Webupdater. " No new updates" was the response I received. Rats!

Same here and nothing. And when you go on the HCX page, the latest 2.60 is listed 2007. Ok I know, only a typo but none the less, the typo is there since February!

Can somebody confirm that they have seen this problem while using a Garmin provided map (topo 2008, city navigator, or basemap)? Garmin tech support is quick to blame the problem on custom maps if you're running them. Seems like the map should have nothing to do with it, but they got hung up there.

Has anybody seen the problem with the electronic compass turned off?

Potential causes of the problem...please update the list if you have information:

low speed navigation - confirmed

electronic compass interference - maybe

backlight interference - maybe

WAAS - eliminated

challenging conditions - maybe

non-Garmin maps - maybe

specific to 2.6/2.6 - confirmed

others?

Don't know about the rest of you, but my HCx is dangerously close to being returned to the store. I didn't buy a high accuracy GPSr with the intention of having to power cycle it to maintain my high accuracy.

Can somebody confirm that they have seen this problem while using a Garmin provided map (topo 2008, city navigator, or basemap)? Garmin tech support is quick to blame the problem on custom maps if you're running them. Seems like the map should have nothing to do with it, but they got hung up there.

Potential causes of the problem...please update the list if you have information:

WAAS - eliminated

non-Garmin maps - maybe

others?

Don't know about the rest of you, but my HCx is dangerously close to being returned to the store. I didn't buy a high accuracy GPSr with the intention of having to power cycle it to maintain my high accuracy.

The same problem I'm seeing on the Colorado is seen with and without the compass. I don't use custom maps, just Topo2008 and City Nav NA NT 2008/2009. All other aspects of the problem on the CO match what you have above. I'll be curious to see if HCx owners are seeing the same thing.

GO$Rs

Had a couple of experiences recently with my HcX which point to this issue. A consistent 150-200' inaccuracy which was lost when i power cycled.

Compass was on and calibrated, slow walking speed and no custom maps installed. 2.6/2.6. Backlight was likely on.

WAAS - eliminated

non-Garmin maps - maybe

others?

Actually, I've been thinking about the map thing whether custom or not. I've been following this topic even though I haven't seen this problem with my Vista HCx. Unless I lose satellite signal, I've been seeing <100' error when returning to a starting point. Most times it's much less - usually 50' or so. I've also waypointed a few different locations and always seem to return to the same coordinates when I go back - at least within 50' more often much closer.

I think it would be good for folks to give more info than just "2.60/2.60". Maybe if we all posted the same info we could start to see a pattern?

My info:

Vista HCx purchased 2/11/08:

Software Version 2.60 GPS SW Version 2.60 (updated via webupdater - don't remember original versions)

WAAS enabled

1 GB SD card

Electronic compass ON

Maps:

Garmin Topo 2008

Garmin MG NA7 via Metrowhiz

My info:

Vista HCx purchased near the end of '07:

2.60/2.60 (via webupdater - don't remember original versions, but have updated a few times now)

WAAS enabled

2 GB SD card

Electronic compass ON

Maps:

Garmin Topo 2008

NW Trails (custom map)

While I'm running with a custom map now, I saw this issue prior to the it going in. I experience the problem on longer hikes. It usually doesn't show up for 30-60 minutes. Once it does, it doesn't matter what the cover is like (trees, in a field, etc) the only way to correct the problem is powering it on/off.

I'm also always running a track log, sometimes, but not always clear my trip computer prior to starting the hike, and have the light on 1/2 power. I carry the unit in the Garmin Extrex carrying case that has velcro closure.

My Info:

Vista HCx

purchased May, 2008

2.60/2.60 factory loaded

WAAS enabled

256MB SD card (from factory)

Electronic compass on

Backlight on with button pushes

Maps:

Topo 2008 and custom

Problem was seen on top of a ridge - mostly open hiking, but worst was under light tree cover on the side of a hill

I spoke with Garmin technical support again today and asked if he was familiar with the Groundspeak forum (which he was). I explained the issue and urged him to read through the postings related to the Hcx accuracy issues. He said he was not aware of this issue but that he would make his supervisor aware of this. He mentioned that the customer support managers meet with the engineers twice a week to go over potential issues. Hopefully this will make it's way to the engineers. They have to know about this, so I am a little skeptical about any sort of quick response.

I plan on nagging customer support at least once or twice a week for the next few weeks and after that the unit will probably have to go back (I have my fingers crossed as I actually like the Vista). Garmin needs to be a little more up front with recognizing and addressing these issues because it's a lot easier to attract a new customer than it is to regain the confidence of one that has had a bad experience.

The same problem I'm seeing on the Colorado . I don't use custom maps, just Topo2008 and City Nav NA NT 2008/2009. ...

I'll be curious to see if HCx owners are seeing the same thing.

GO$Rs

Yes, the same for HCX 2.6. It happened while I hiked the redwood regional park in Oakland. Topo2008/CNNT 2009 map only.

The error occurs around hike into 2.5 mils (on a return trail, which took exactly the same trail I came from.)

In case any Garmin folks are trying to understand the problem following TopherAC's call to cust.serv., here's an updated summary of the variables.

low speed navigation - confirmed- low speed in all instances reported

electronic compass interference - eliminated - occurs with electronic compass on or off

WAAS - eliminated - occurs with WAAS on or off

challenging conditions - eliminated - users have experienced it in the open

non-Garmin maps - eliminated - happens with Topo2008, CityNav NA 08/09, Garmin MG NA7, and custom

specific to 2.6/2.6 - confirmed - both from webupdate and direct from factory

Time/cumulative error - maybe - many have seen it happen after time on the trail

SD card size - eliminated - 2GB down to 256MB card provided with unit

Track Log on - maybe - Many have had the track log on, don't know about everybody

Model - occuring on the Colorado and the Vista HCx

expandable (x) - maybe

(H)igh sensitivity - maybe

Terrain - seems prettyvariable among those posting

Any others?

In case any Garmin folks are trying to understand the problem following TopherAC's call to cust.serv., here's an updated summary of the variables.

low speed navigation - confirmed- low speed in all instances reported

electronic compass interference - eliminated - occurs with electronic compass on or off

WAAS - eliminated - occurs with WAAS on or off

challenging conditions - eliminated - users have experienced it in the open

non-Garmin maps - eliminated - happens with Topo2008, CityNav NA 08/09, Garmin MG NA7, and custom

specific to 2.6/2.6 - confirmed - both from webupdate and direct from factory

Time/cumulative error - maybe - many have seen it happen after time on the trail

SD card size - eliminated - 2GB down to 256MB card provided with unit

Track Log on - maybe - Many have had the track log on, don't know about everybody

Model - occuring on the Colorado and the Vista HCx

expandable (x) - maybe

(H)igh sensitivity - maybe

Terrain - seems prettyvariable among those posting

Any others?

I have also seen this on the Legend HCx