asus eee mini laptop

PZ Dude

I am about to get the mini eee 700 from asus. If you know what that is great, if not look it up it is a cool little cheep all flash drive laptop.

It runs Linux.

From what I have think I have found out putting a blue tooth gps unit on it should not be a problem. mapping software is a bit of a problem. But i am not worried about that.

My question is the best way to get the Wherigo player to run on either a Linux machine or a Linux Machine running VMWare.

I have also read that the eee can run xp so that may be an option. But I do not want to go there.

I guess my question is to anyone out there. is a pocket pc or the new Garmin GPS the only way? Or can you get Linux to think it is a pocket pc or get Wherigo to think it is on a pocket pc and not a laptop?

From what I have think I have found out putting a blue tooth gps unit on it should not be a problem. mapping software is a bit of a problem. But i am not worried about that.

Can't speak to Wherigo, but I can verify that you can put a blue tooth GPS on it and mapping software is not a problem if you're technically minded. I'm using a BT-359 and GpsDrive and it's doing much of what I want (and after making a few code changes in GpsDrive to make it more geocaching friendly, it's going to do everything that I want, including uploading all my logs to geocaching.com, heh heh heh).

As far as I know at the moment, only a PDA version of the player is available. I don't think Groundspeak thought people would be willing to lug laptops around with them to play Wherigo!

:laughing:

I understand what you are saying. I would not be dragging my Compac laptop around for this game. It just would not work. I am not trying to be coy but the Eee PC is a mini PC that measures 8.9 x 6.5 x 1.4 inches, and it weighs 32 ounces. I could see myself lugging around, getting to a site and using it. After that site, close the lid and off to about where I think the next site would be located. But that is me and I see were this laptop might be the exception and I understand why Groundspeak is not looking into laptops. My question deals more with Linux I guess.

What kind of work around is there available that would allow me to play the player on a Linux system with a blue tooth GPS?

I placed this in the hardware section because I found all the other hardware was not like the eee and ran something else. But the eee is special because it is as strong as an older laptop but small as a big PDA, plus it is all flash drive and runs Linux, so I figured this is where I should start.

Thanks ;)

Can't speak to Wherigo, but I can verify that you can put a blue tooth GPS on it and mapping software is not a problem if you're technically minded. I'm using a BT-359 and GpsDrive and it's doing much of what I want (and after making a few code changes in GpsDrive to make it more geocaching friendly, it's going to do everything that I want, including uploading all my logs to geocaching.com, heh heh heh).

Thank you! I have a feeling I will be getting back to you after I get the eee this summer! Geocaching is why I am getting it. From what I have found, just having the net, a smallish not miniature keyboard and I believe the swiss army knife program will be all I need for Geocaching The eee will do it in a very light and small package. Hooking a GPS up to it is the 2nd stage for fun and the Wherigo game will be the icing on the cake! If i can make it work.

I am only technically minded enough to get myself stuck but I have two friends who love when I come to them with my computer problems because it is always something they have never seen or thought of and they love the challenge. So when I get the eee I will have some Linux support, I am just trying to see if I want to get the blue tooth gps now or later. Can I get it to work with the Wherigo?

Thanks for posting I had a feeling I would be one of the 1st to post about a eee and everyone would be like what kind of pda is that? I have a feeling I will be asking you for a point in the right direction once I get the it this summer.

:laughing:

Why are you teasing me :laughing: If everything works out I will not be getting the eee until this spring, summer at the latest. Now I know a gps tooth can be put on it with mapping software. My hope and guess is this new Wherigo will not be to far behind. I know very little about Linux and plan on learning allot when I get the eee. But from what I gather it tries to do anything windows does. So by my logic it should be able to do anything a mini or pockets window does? That is what my goal is I guess? I would settle for the for at least the Wherigo player!

Thanks for the screen shot I now have something really to look forward to.

I guess my question is to anyone out there. is a pocket pc or the new Garmin GPS the only way? Or can you get Linux to think it is a pocket pc or get Wherigo to think it is on a pocket pc and not a laptop?
Doing a quick search, I found there are PPC emulators out there for Windows at least. A more thorough search will probably turn up a Linux version.

If not, you may be able to run it under WINE. Of course, running an emulator in another emulator may cause problems... :o

Just a follow up, good news, the eee , the little mini 2lb laptop, might get a GPS update in the new models. Bad new is it might cost more $ instead of the cheep $300 it is now.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080325PD226.html

"Asustek's 8.9-inch second-generation Eee PC lineup will include touchscreen panels and possible GPS support,"

Now that they are putting xp on the new units and they might be adding a GPS unit. I am just wondering. how hard would in be to take the emulator that is in the builder and have Google earth feed off of maps in the cache and the GPS unit instead of the mouse?

Or another idea is Microsoft is courting ASUS with MS Live stuff for the eee. So maybe they can slip the Wherigo Player into the mix using MS maps?

Groundspeek could pull off a something big if they got together with ASUS and figure out a way to put geocaching and Wherigo on the new gps mini laptops.

Think about it Garmin is willing to make a new unit that runs Wherigo. Just think what one could do with a very small laptop with everything you need on it for both geocaching and the Wherigo.

Just an idea