Printing Cache Pages

Caching Scout

Best bet is to get a used PDA off of ebay for around $25 and add cachemate for $8. Then you can carry literally thousands of cache desriptions with you out in the field. Cheaper than 1 or 2 ink cartidges for your printer already.

You are a premium member so can you Pocket Queries to do that.

Also some GSAK macros to print condensed versions of the cache pages.

Via GSAK there is. That is what we use. You might be able to cut and paste into MS-Word or some such and remove unneeded data. Seems as though I've seen in here that some people have developed a useful way of doing that. But as for us, Go................GSAK!! Cache on Garth! :laughing::laughing::anibad:

And it doesn't require a macro.

Some people use a PDA solution to eliminate paper all together, but you didn't ask about that. There ought to be tons and tons of info wrt to paperless if you do a search.

Edited by Team Cotati

I find that coping and pasting into MS Word to be problematic because the format will copy over exactly as it is on the Geocaching website. So I copy and paste all relevant info from the cache page into Notepad (look in your Accessories folder, it comes standard in computers running Windows).

Afterwards if you wanted to format it to your liking, copy and paste everything you have in Notepad to MS Word. The formatting from the Geocaching website will not be there and you can easily format it the way you like.

Edited by The Fej

before i got my pda i used notepad to copy and paste cache pages. first i hit the make cache page printer friendly button. on the notepad you can easily delete unneeded items. i would also change the font size and depending on your eyes, you can fit 10-15 caches on a single page. i highlighted the cache names with a highlighter to make it easier on the eyes as well. it takes a little time but it worked great for me. good luck!

The other suggestions are good, but I'll add a couple which address the request more directly.

Most printers now allow two-up printing. Even at my age, I don't need the type size from the web pages. If I want a lot of information on a cache, I'll "show all logs", decrypt the clue, and then print four pages at two-up on a printer with auto-duplex -- one sheet of paper for the cache.

I also use a PDF driver. I use Docucom PDF, from pdfwizard.com, but there are others and I've heard good things about pdf995.com. The important thing to me is that the driver be able to append to an existing PDF file. So for example I can print two pages with the description and log, do a screen shot of the satellite photo and paste it into Irfanview and "print" adding a page to the PDF, then switch to topo view and go though screen shot and Irfanview again -- four pages, print on one sheet of paper. (Maps don't usually print right, thus the screen shot step.) I can also chain many caches into one PDF, especially since I don't need four pages of info for every cache. Make a PDF with info on a dozen caches and print it on four or five sheets of paper.

That said, I'll probably go the PDA route eventually, but ... carry yet another electronic device instead of a few sheets of paper? Go to the work of buying it, figuring out how to use it, loading the files on it ... there's a learning curve, and I'd rather be outside. Says the guy who is typing into a forum ...

Edward