Invisible Shield for Colorado

I tried to order onen from invisishield, but got to the shipping screen with NO options :laughing:

Could not complete the transaction

I would prefer that it cover the entire screen, but I guess I can live with it not covering that particular part of it. I wonder why they did it that way? Does it perhaps match the size of an already existing part?

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I got mine from Here and it fits perfectly. Even the areas missed by the invisibleshield brand. The material its made of is virtually identical. If you want one that fits and costs $3.50 then check out the link!

I can't find a website for Durashield. I'd prefer to see some more detail before I stick something on my Colorado. I've emailed the President of Invisible Shield about the problem & will decide what to do once her replies. I'm definitely not going to fit this wrong sized protector on as I can see the exposed edge flipping up & getting dirty over time.

I got mine from Here and it fits perfectly. Even the areas missed by the invisibleshield brand. The material its made of is virtually identical. If you want one that fits and costs $3.50 then check out the link!

I went ahead and ordered one just to take a look. For $3.50 if it turns out to be something I don't like I'm not out much :laughing:

I wonder why it's so much cheaper than the one for the 60 series?

Same issue here.. I just put mine on last night and did not get a chance to email invisibleshield yet.... I also noticed that the one they sent is approx 1mm to small side to side.

I place it on the GPS perfectly aligned and on both sides of the screen the outermost part looks like it's not covered. Not sure how close these things usually go to the edge....

I can check your measurements tonight and reply back one more time....

geobernd: too small??? too wide? Dude, would you like to buy a vowel?

Everyone: Why are you wasting your money on these shields?

First of all, they are neither invisible nor are they indestructible. They damage more easily than the screen on your GPS units.

I've gone around and around on here trying to explain how these things reduce the light coming from the display with no success. No matter how transparent the screen is, the glue itself absorbs some of the light coming from the display. When your brain interprets this, it makes you increase the output, thus reducing your battery life.

Also, the screens that Garmin uses for these units are very good as repelling scratches. I've used my GPSmap 60CSx from the first week they were available and only have one very minor scratch on it caused during a severe fall.

You paid good money for that unit, now you're covering one of the nicest features with a piece of plastic?

If you want more bang for your buck, why aren't you writing Garmin and asking that they raise the edge of the screen 1/16" similar to the way the U.S. Mint protects the face of every coin with a raised rim?

If any of you guys have ever complained about a dim screen, you just invalidated your argument!

First of all, they are neither invisible nor are they indestructible. They damage more easily than the screen on your GPS units.

Not in my experience. I am notorious for shoving devices - GPS, Blackberry, iPod - in a pocket with other useful items such as keys. After putting nasty scratches in the screen on my old 60CS and my previous phone doing exactly this, I vowed to use an Invisible Shield on all such devices. Since then, I am just as careless, and haven't damaged a screen. And the point, of course, is that if anything does get damaged, it's a $12, replaceable hunk of film, not the screen of a $400 or $600 device.

I've gone around and around on here trying to explain how these things reduce the light coming from the display with no success. No matter how transparent the screen is, the glue itself absorbs some of the light coming from the display. When your brain interprets this, it makes you increase the output, thus reducing your battery life.

I don't think so. For one thing, the Invisible Shield doesn't even seem to use glue, as such. But even if there is some tiny reduction in brightness, to me that is well worth the protection. And I have never bumped up the brightness to compensate - my Blackberry has a set brightness that is just fine, and I don't even use backlighting on my GPS outdoors - not even with my Colorado.

Also, the screens that Garmin uses for these units are very good as repelling scratches. I've used my GPSmap 60CSx from the first week they were available and only have one very minor scratch on it caused during a severe fall.

Demonstrably not true. And you wouldn't have even that minor scratch if you were using an Invisible Shield.

If you want more bang for your buck, why aren't you writing Garmin and asking that they raise the edge of the screen 1/16" similar to the way the U.S. Mint protects the face of every coin with a raised rim?

You're kidding, right? How would that prevent a rock from scratching your Colorado's screen if you drop it out in the field? I know it wouldn't prevent damages from keys in my pocket.

I'm left with the strong impression that you've never used an Invisible Shield.

Who's complaining about the screen being dim? :)

The question is: Besides me and one or two others, who isn't???

I love the Colorado display. Its very well engineered (and I doubt 98% of the people with it in their hand realize why.) But too many people are complaining. Once guy actually feels that its okay to expect to light the trail with the GPS. How rediculous is that?

Not in my experience. I am notorious for shoving devices - GPS, Blackberry, iPod - in a pocket with other useful items such as keys. After putting nasty scratches in the screen on my old 60CS and my previous phone doing exactly this, I vowed to use an Invisible Shield on all such devices. Since then, I am just as careless, and haven't damaged a screen. And the point, of course, is that if anything does get damaged, it's a $12, replaceable hunk of film, not the screen of a $400 or $600 device.

I don't think so. For one thing, the Invisible Shield doesn't even seem to use glue, as such. But even if there is some tiny reduction in brightness, to me that is well worth the protection. And I have never bumped up the brightness to compensate - my Blackberry has a set brightness that is just fine, and I don't even use backlighting on my GPS outdoors - not even with my Colorado.

Demonstrably not true. And you wouldn't have even that minor scratch if you were using an Invisible Shield.

You're kidding, right? How would that prevent a rock from scratching your Colorado's screen if you drop it out in the field? I know it wouldn't prevent damages from keys in my pocket.

I'm left with the strong impression that you've never used an Invisible Shield.

The first question is why you'd put your GPS in your pocket. Can anyone say "careless?" Then you said " ... with my keys." I'm not even going there!

If you're that reckless, you deserve to have a sock of your "unit."

All your arguements aren't. You seem intelligent, but I can see you with your GPS in one hand and your keys in the other ... then mashing them together with a blank look on your face. IIB!

Lightning Jeff - Just ignore him! You probably have already figured this out but LifeOnEdge trys to pick a fight with anyone who disagrees with the "perfect little vision" of the world. :o

For the record, I use an Invisi Shield and have never had any problems what-so-ever with it. Matter of fact, it has saved my screen on my old Garmin 60C several times. With it on my Colorado I didn't notice any difference is the light quality from having it off and on.

Edited by Geocaching-Geckos

I've seen a GPS that had no screen protector with some huge white scratches etched in the screen thanks to the owner falling and the GPS scraping on rocks. Then I look at my GPS screen (which has had a screen protector of some sort on it since I took it out of the box) and it's perfect. Not one scrape to interfere with the view (except on the screen protector, but that's why it's there). I'd disagree with anyone who says a screen protector is a bad investment. I've seen the proof.

As far as how close the screen protector should come to the edge of a screen, in reality you want it to be a little bit smaller, otherwise it might peel up at the edges. The Invisible shield on my 60CSX doesn't go edge to edge, but it covers the visible part of the screen completely. It's been on for a year and hasn't peeled up one little bit (unlike the cheaper radio shack screen protectors I've tried).

I just received my Invisible Shield today for my Colorado. Having used the Shields before on other gadgets, I was very surprised to find that the shield doesn't fit! It's about 5mm too short & does not cover the part of the screen where "Garmin" is written. Has anyone else noticed this?

http://www.invisibleshield.com/gps/garmin/colorado-400t.php

2295901067_74eee9ab3f_o.jpg

Perhaps you received the wrong one by mistake. I helped them get the original measurements for the screen, including the difference in the rounded corners between the top and the bottom. The sample they sent me fit perfectly top to bottom, but was a hair too narrow side to side. The sample did cover the screen all the way to below the "Garmin". This is even noted on their website (or was the last time I checked). I noted the problems and I'm sure they would have made corrections to the units for sale.

Perhaps you received the wrong one by mistake. I helped them get the original measurements for the screen, including the difference in the rounded corners between the top and the bottom. The sample they sent me fit perfectly top to bottom, but was a hair too narrow side to side. The sample did cover the screen all the way to below the "Garmin". This is even noted on their website (or was the last time I checked). I noted the problems and I'm sure they would have made corrections to the units for sale. [/color]

I thought it was the onestopcacheshop.com "Durashield" product that you helped out with.

My product has always fitted well, including the extra "Garmin" piece at the bottom of the screen.

a.

The screen protector I got for my eXplorist XL, was just about perfect, but the screen protector I got in the same mailing for my 60CSx was very rippley, and it is hard to see the screen. I tried squegying out all the water, but it was still too rippley when it dried.

I got into using the Invisible Shield after a camcorder accident to my Map60C back in 2006. When the Map60C was new, I tried videoing the screen in macro mode, but with just a light accidental tap of the lens against the GPS, left a deep gouge below the surface, so at that time I figured that the Plastic window on the 60C was very soft, and that GPS scratched easily. The plastic window on the Colorado seems more solid than on my 60CSx, but like somebody said, it is an expensive repair, when a deep scratch happens to your GPS unit. With the display resolution being at 240x400 pixels, I want to protect the screen against scratches, also because my vision is poor within 15 or so inches from my eyes, making me lift up my glasses to see small screens, including my 176x220 pixel cellphone screen.

So if I could get a screen protector to lie flat, without any rippling of the surface, then it should work for both my vision, and scratch prevention.

With these troubles, it's like being stuck between Iraq and a hard place.

Very nice to find this thread. Yup, my Invisible Shield arrived today, and it also was too short. :D I'll send it back asking for the right size. I do have something else I can use until I can get the right sized Shield. Sadly though, it won't provide the increased protection I know an Invisible Shield does. But I'm happy to wait for a proven product.

Some other points:

• Yes, I know it's not invisible.
  • Yes, it literally saved my 60Csx screen. Hmmm . . . $12 on a proven item or a huge repair bill . . . which should I choose?
  • Yes, mine goes in my pocket at times, but not usually with my keys.
  • No, you can keep your vowel.
  • The diminished light issue? What issue? I'd hazard the guess that most of us aren't having light issues, with or without the Invisible Shield.

But if that all makes me the idiot somebody seems to imply, then I'm happy to be one! wave2.gif Anybody care to join me?

I just use FELLOWS screen protectors and i cut them to size. You get a whole pack of about 20 sheets for $20. After you take some time to trim a piece of paper to the correct size, use it as a template to cut the screen protectors. They work great and when you lay them on the screen you start on one edge and slowly lay the protector on the screen with a credit card squeegying as you go.

When you need to replace an old screen protector just unpeel the old one, and apply it to a new screen protector . Cut around the old one thats stuck to a new sheet and you have a perfectly fitting screen protector.

And "lifeontheedge". You pay big bucks for for a gps, why wouldnt you try to protect the screen so it doesnt look like s*** in 2 months???? :D

A quick update -- I called the Invisible Shield folks after I got home from work today. Although the gal seemed a bit perplexed, she asked me for a new length and said she'd move it on to the designers, which might take a day or two. Then, when I receive the new shield, I return the unused one to them. I guess I'll be out shipping on this one.

An update on this - I just spoke to InvisibleShield today and they are aware of this problem and have already updated their stock with the shield of the new (correct) size for the Colorado 400t screen.

The guy I spoke to also said that when you return the shield, it is sufficient to return just the piece of plastic (i.e. $0.41 stamp); no need to return the whole package.

Edited by chuntu

Perhaps you received the wrong one by mistake. I helped them get the original measurements for the screen, including the difference in the rounded corners between the top and the bottom. The sample they sent me fit perfectly top to bottom, but was a hair too narrow side to side. The sample did cover the screen all the way to below the "Garmin". This is even noted on their website (or was the last time I checked). I noted the problems and I'm sure they would have made corrections to the units for sale. [/color]

I thought it was the onestopcacheshop.com "Durashield" product that you helped out with.

My product has always fitted well, including the extra "Garmin" piece at the bottom of the screen.

a.

Whoops, my mistake. It was the onestopcacheshop.com product and not the Invisible Shield. Didn't know there was a difference as I had never heard of the product before testing it.

So there you have it, the Durashield product is cut to fit the entire screen on the Colorado. <_<

This sounds like the screen protectors for the PDAs. Any difference?

I assume they are a little clearer. I just had my wife cut and fit a Fellows Write Right shield that I use on my IPAQ. She did a great job and it works great. If there is a difference in clarity I can not see it. Its good enough for what I need.

I wish I was as careful as some may be with their gps, but the fact is that I somehow manage to get it into a pocket with keys, coins, or multi-tool.

Without trying to sound like a commercial for Invisible Shield, I had used other screen protectors, and found them to tear or fail in short order on my pda and extrex.

I now use only Invisible Shield as they hold up really well and even with a few bubbles still love it. For some reason, I was able to get the one on my Etrex and our 60cx fine, but when I put it on my 60Csx, got a few bumps.

No matter, still does what I need.

I just got off the phone with invisible shield. Many thanks for mentioning Cheltsy Drake as my issues were taken care of much easier. They mentioned to me that they designed the shield to not cover the garmin part of the unit. But they do have some to cover the area. I am not sure which ones they are sending out as their standard order, but future buyers should make it clear when they order that they want the one that will cover the garmin logo.

I received the new shield today & have now fitted. I must say that it now fits the screen perfectly - even including the rounded edges top & bottom. It took some careful lining up & 2 bottles of their spray, but I now have my screen protected & not one bubble! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about there being purposefully 2 versions as this would be marked on the box (something like short screen & full screen?). Both my boxes are marked exactly the same way "Garmin Colorado 400t SCREEN"

Edited to fix grammar!

Edited by Not the Mama!

Received the Colorado protector from OneStopCacheShop last night and it went on without a hitch. Funny thing, the spray that came with it had an InvisibleShield label... If the urethane material is different it's not apparent - and the adhesive is the same.

BTW, using one of the urethane film protectors on a PDA is a matter of personal preference. I applied an InvisibleShield to my Tungsten E2 and found that there was quite a bit of friction between the protector and stylus. I eventually removed the urethane and went with the mylar (I'm assuming) protector from Palm. The surface is much smoother and friction free.

Concerned about this size issue, I emailed InvisibleSHIELD yesterday and the reponse came yesterday. Here is what they said.

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting ZAGG, home of the invisibleSHIELD! My name is Jonathan V. and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Actually, we have just made corrections to our Garmin Colorado shield about 3 days ago specifically for the issue that you just mentioned. So, if you were concerned about this issue you may now order confidently knowing that this has been corrected.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments.

All the best,

JON V.

Here is my two cents. Process accordingly.

Unless you own stock in Zagg or have a relative who works at invisibleshield and want to help keep them employed why would you not get the durashield product?

I have owned invisibleshield protectors before. Believe me there is no noticable difference in materials used.

I purchased my durashield from onestopcacheshop.com, got it in the mail two days later and it fit PERFECTLY with no issues whatsoever. It employs the same spray bottle and installation technique. They are (invisibleshield and durashield) identicle products. One has the size issues worked out and one does not.

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying. :laughing:

Concerned about this size issue, I emailed InvisibleSHIELD yesterday and the reponse came yesterday. Here is what they said.

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting ZAGG, home of the invisibleSHIELD! My name is Jonathan V. and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Actually, we have just made corrections to our Garmin Colorado shield about 3 days ago specifically for the issue that you just mentioned. So, if you were concerned about this issue you may now order confidently knowing that this has been corrected.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments.

All the best,

JON V.

you said yesterday - mail from 6. March - and 3 days ago ---> that would be the 2. March

on the 2. March they made corrections

so look at my email-reply from ZAGG from the 29. Feb.:

> Datum: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:15:55 -0700

> Von: invisibleSHIELD Customer Service <questions@zagg.com>

> An: XXXXXXXXXX

> Betreff: Re: New Inquiry: Order Status

>

> Hello XXXXXXXX

>

> My name is XXXXXX and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

>

> I have just finished investigating this situation. I was able to verify

> that our invisibleSHIELD for the Garmin Colorado 400t (Screen) did not

> cover the entire portion of the screen. Upon further investigation I

> saw that our designers had become aware of this issue and redesigned the

> invisibleSHIELD to match the dimensions of the screen. These new

> dimensions are 39.5mm x 71mm and appear to match what was being

> discussed in the web forum link you provided.

>

> Unfortunately, this redesign was not in time for the order which is

> currently shipping to you. Because of this, I have reshipped your order

> with the updated design. When you receive this original shipment, if

> you could please return to sender it would be fantastic of you. This

> second shipment will be the one to match the coverage you were

> originally seeking.

So they seem to redesign it more than one time? :laughing:

Hello ----,

Thank you for contacting ZAGG, home of the invisibleSHIELD! My name is Ken, and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I am sorry you received the invisibleSHIELD for your device, and it does not fit properly. We have updated our design to better fit that device.

Therefore I am shipping out your replacement via USPS Priority. Please allow 2-4 business days for delivery.

Thank you for choosing the invisibleSHIELD. We appreciate your business!

All the best,

Ken S

All InvisibleShield asks you to do when you receive the replacement is just send back the old plastic shield in an envolope. This only costs you 41cents to do. It states on the invoice " Please remember to return your original shield to the address on this invoice to keep your warranty valid" I'm very pleased with how they handled this problem, and the right sieze shield fits perfectly.

All InvisibleShield asks you to do when you receive the replacement is just send back the old plastic shield in an envolope. This only costs you 41cents to do. It states on the invoice " Please remember to return your original shield to the address on this invoice to keep your warranty valid" I'm very pleased with how they handled this problem, and the right sieze shield fits perfectly.

International post is a little more expensive. As they made the mistake, I'd have thought it good customer relations to send a reply paid envelope. No big deal - just a thought.

International post is a little more expensive. As they made the mistake, I'd have thought it good customer relations to send a reply paid envelope. No big deal - just a thought.

In my case they did include a stamped envelope (although I'm not international). I had ordered an InvisibleShield for a StreetPilot c530 but they sent me one for a Rhino 530. It was an honest mistake on their part and they fixed it. They sent me a replacement that arrived in about 2 days and included the self-addressed stamped envelope to return the incorrect shield. I was very happy with the customer service.

Greg

Unfortunately the size problems persist and are worse. I ordered a protector from ZAGG about a week ago in a box marked "Garmin Colorado 400t SCREEN" and just went to put it on tonight to discover that it is completely the wrong size. I'm not talking about a mm here or there or whether or not it covers the garmin logo - it's at least a half inch too wide and at least an inch too tall. It covers from below the plastic bezel (i.e. overlaps the battery cover) all the way up onto the jog dial with about a quarter inch of overhang onto those parts. Way too big.

Sigh - I sent them a note on their web site, but at this point, it's worth $3.50 to order from onestopshop who appears to have gotten the sizes correct. My time is worth that much more than to send them back their bad part in an envelope...

Unfortunately the size problems persist and are worse. I ordered a protector from ZAGG about a week ago in a box marked "Garmin Colorado 400t SCREEN" and just went to put it on tonight to discover that it is completely the wrong size. I'm not talking about a mm here or there or whether or not it covers the garmin logo - it's at least a half inch too wide and at least an inch too tall. It covers from below the plastic bezel (i.e. overlaps the battery cover) all the way up onto the jog dial with about a quarter inch of overhang onto those parts. Way too big.

Sigh - I sent them a note on their web site, but at this point, it's worth $3.50 to order from onestopshop who appears to have gotten the sizes correct. My time is worth that much more than to send them back their bad part in an envelope...

I received mine about a month ago. It fit perfectly.