Icons

Jaibrd & Captain

Hi - we are very new to this. Just added our first cache yesterday. Question: why is the cache displayed on the map of caches in the same area with a yellow star? Also, what about those caches with smiley faces instead of the usual green box format? Is there a guide to these icons? Do we have any control over how our cache's are presented in the map format?

Thanks.

Hi - we are very new to this. Just added our first cache yesterday. Question: why is the cache displayed on the map of caches in the same area with a yellow star? Also, what about those caches with smiley faces instead of the usual green box format? Is there a guide to these icons? Do we have any control over how our cache's are presented in the map format?

Thanks.

When looking at the map, the caches you hid will be a yellow star to you, but will look like a regular green box (assuming its a traditional) to others. And all those caches with a smiley face are caches you've already found :laughing: . Makes it much easier to tell at a glance what caches are there for you to find, and which you've hid or already found.

Thanks.

The "view map" link that's just below the "Send to Phone" button of each cache page activates a "Google Map Search" page. At upper-right of the Google Map Search page you'll see the cache-icons in use. Just hover your cursor over any of the icons and you'll get a tool-tip popup showing the common name of the icon.

Feel free to start posting questions and comments on any of the several San Diego Forum threads.

Have fun,

Sd Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks.

The "view map" link that's just below the "Send to Phone" button of each cache page activates a "Google Map Search" page. At upper-right of the Google Map Search page you'll see the cache-icons in use. Just hover your cursor over any of the icons and you'll get a tool-tip popup showing the common name of the icon.

Feel free to start posting questions and comments on any of the several San Diego Forum threads.

Have fun,

Sd Rowdies

http://www.geocaching.com/about/ in the front page of the Geocaching website is a great reference to all the abbreviations, and other basic items.

On a different note, I went to find your first cache and it was nowhere to be found. Spent my lunch HOUR in the area, and even got verbally accosted by a homeless muggle. It's all part of the sport, but very frustrating when new cachers place a cache, and I can't find them.

R/Balcanthez

On a different note, I went to find your first cache and it was nowhere to be found. Spent my lunch HOUR in the area, and even got verbally accosted by a homeless muggle. It's all part of the sport, but very frustrating when new cachers place a cache, and I can't find them.

R/Balcanthez

Odd - I don't see any DNF logs on that...... :sad:

R/Balcanthez

Odd - I don't see any DNF logs on that...... :D

It's there now. :sad: