Garmin etrex vista cx VS hcx

ssgeo83

I am going to buy a Garmin eTrex Vista cx soon.

But there is also a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

The difference is that the HCx is high sensitivity.

1.) Does the Vista HCx high sensitivity make a big difference? Someone on here said that the Vista cx works good under trees. So I was just wondering if paying extra for the Vista HCx would be worth it.

2.) Are there any glitches or problems with the Vista HCx that is not a present in the Vista cx?

3.) Other than the higher sensitivity, are there any big advantage in getting a Vista HCx compared to the Vista cx?

Edited by ssgeo83

1) Yes the HCx has a higher sensitivity antenna, but if you're using it in relatively open spaces then that issue might not matter.

2) I think the HCx has had a trip odometer bug but might be already fixed.

3) The Vista Cx is discontinued (replaced by the HCx). So perhaps an advantage for the Cx's that are left in stock is, they're cheaper :(

I've been using a Cx for years and LOVE the reception sensitivity it has. Personally I feel NO rush to upgrade it for an HCx.

I agree about the High Sensitivity receiver. Unless the Vista Cx is a lot less money, get the Vista HCx. I got mine for around $230.00 at TheNerds.net. The Legend HCx can be had for under $200.00.

With the newer firmware, the Trip Computer problem seems to have been resolved on the Vista HCx.

1.) Does the Vista HCx high sensitivity make a big difference? Someone on here said that the Vista cx works good under trees. So I was just wondering if paying extra for the Vista HCx would be worth it.

I don't have a Cx, but I do have a C and an HCx. I think that the sensitivity of the C and the Cx are the same, so I think it's safe for me to answer this: the Cx's reception under trees is very good, far better than the old black&white Vista. The HCx's reception is even better. The one place where this increased sensitivity makes a huge difference to us is while driving: in the car with tinted windows, the C can't hold a lock at all; in the one with clear windows, the C can hold a lock but only if it is held near the window or left on the dashboard. The HCx can keep a good lock anywhere in any position in either car -- it's the one we rely on now for auto-routing.

2.) Are there any glitches or problems with the Vista HCx that is not a present in the Vista cx?

Possibly: a few people, including me, have seen some annoying lags and delays with the City Navigator NT maps on the Vista and Legend HCx. These lags vanished when we switched to non-NT maps. I have not heard of this being a problem on anything other than HCx models, so it may not be an issue at all on a Cx. And not everyone with an HCx sees this problem.

3.) Other than the higher sensitivity, are there any big advantage in getting a Vista HCx compared to the Vista cx?

The only thing that springs to mind right now is that startup time of the HCx is noticeably faster than that of the C/Cx. Our C can sometimes sit there attempting to get its initial satellite lock for 30 or 45 seconds, while the HCx has it in about 5 seconds.