Geo-buddies

amaSoekSoek

Rant Open

I'm just so slightly irritated, with so called geo-buddies. :D

Buddie cacher 1: Look here is my new cache (normally micro…)

Buddie cacher 2: Look I’ve logged the FTF for this cache (3 “micro” seconds later)

Anyone feel the same?

/Rant Closed

Will have to organise this soon myself, just to get my first FTF !!! :(

I can just say that one or two of my caches (I think of amabokkobokko, eagle's nest and Ag pleez daddy) had a bunch of guys baying for FTF's within minutes of them been published. And I didn't even know the guys involved.

I think guys get email notifications when caches are published as a premium member - and then quickly do the puzzle etc. and pop mout for a FTF. I know one of them was done before 06h00 when it was only publised by Erik at around 01h00!

So yes unsportsmanship is one thing, but true FTF seekers being on the ball - hey go for it.

I can just say that one or two of my caches (I think of amabokkobokko, eagle's nest and Ag pleez daddy) had a bunch of guys baying for FTF's within minutes of them been published. And I didn't even know the guys involved.

I think guys get email notifications when caches are published as a premium member - and then quickly do the puzzle etc. and pop mout for a FTF. I know one of them was done before 06h00 when it was only publised by Erik at around 01h00!

So yes unsportsmanship is one thing, but true FTF seekers being on the ball - hey go for it.

Oh for sure, you do get the true FTF masters! :(

But if the same two caching buddies, repeatedly find each others , mmmmm - suspect! :D

Check out this one:

Micro cache by "Geo-buddie 1":

Cache Logs

January 20 by erik88l-r (2138 found)

Published

[view this log on a separate page]

January 18 by "Geo-Buddie 2" (36 found)

FTF!!!

:rolleyes:

-

Edited by amma-Soek-Soek

Good day all

I am one of the "geo-buddies" under discussion here and would like to take this opportunity to explain what we did and to appologise.

When Ravenmeistre and I started the geocaching we were extremely excited. What was mentioned here, did unfortunately happen, due to lack of knowledge and etiquette, and we intend to fix the problem.

What also happened on 1 or 2 caches is that we sent it to the other person to go check if the cache is do-able before we loaded it, but we later realised that is also wrong.

Since we realised what we did might be frowned upon, we actually haven't geocached together and there are many of the FTF's of each other's caches that are genuine. We both constantly watch for caches in our area, and as soon as we see a new one, we try and get it as soon as possible. With each other's caches it's even worse as we both want to prove to each other how quick we can find the other one's caches. There was even a case where I saw 5 new caches by Ravenmeistre go live at 2am in the morning and by 5am I was already on my way to go get them, so it might look like we did it on those as well, but I promise you, we didn't. Due to this drive to find each other's caches we have started our own geocaching game between just the 2 of us, to add a bit more fun to all of it.

We now know we are wrong and we are extremely sorry about it. We will not do it again and once we have found out how, we will fix the problem on the caches we did like this.

We both really enjoy geocaching and don't want to have fellow geocachers upset with us.

Thank You

Zantus

I would have posted earlier, if I knew about this thread. Ravenmeistre only found it this morning and sent the link to me, and I felt I had to set record staight and be honest.....I just don't like upsetting people.

Ravenmeistre and I met today and went through all our cache placements. We found 2 caches that we need to correct, the one is the cache mentioned earlier in this thread and the other is a cache about 500m from my house. We did the same thing on another 3 caches, but those were fortunately never published and will never be published.

There are other caches that might look suspicious, but we promise you, they are completely legit. On most of them the placement and found date isn't the same. We actually haven't really geocached together since early Feb, so everything after that we did without the other knowing.

Even when we visit places away from PE, we don't drive together and still hide caches from each other, which we go and get later once they are published.

We are both fortunate to be self employed, and we both have the obsession to find each other's caches as soon as possible, more than caches placed by other people, so we will often go look for a cache on a week day, when everyone else has to worry about work. So, sorry, it's going to happen, we will FTF each other's caches repeatedly, but for both of us, it's not about being first, but just about going to the place the other one's cache is taking us and enjoying the search.

BTW, amma-Soek-Soek, do you drive a discovery? Ravenmeistre said the other day they saw a disco at my Kouga cache the day you claimed your first FTF there. The people looked at them while the were searching for the cache. They were in a black Colt clubcab with lots of mods.

Funny no, we were in a Charcoal Tucson, otherwise you will find me on a XT600.

Sounds like I was lucky on that day, and that I will have to get up earlier to beat you guys at it. ;-)

I'll be on a lookout for a black Colt. It might be difficult to spot it at 2am in the morning though!

Just thought I'd share this mail I got from Erik.

Hi Zantus,

Thanks for your e-mail. Keep in mind that the game is not a competitive one, and so don't take any of those complaints too seriously. I don't think anyone is going to throw you out of anything, but I suppose some might say "it's not quite cricket".

To your second question first, you really can't publish a cache under two accounts. I guess you could create a third account as combined one, but that's about it.

As to your question about FTF, what some people do in those circumstances is log the second page of the log book, so as to leave the first page for the person who is first to find it after it's published. It would be sort of silly to go out and hunt for something when you already know where it is, so I wouldn't worry about re-logging a find on a cache you were a part to hiding, or deleting your log and going out to visit the cache again. I guess if a cache were hidden on 1 January, and you originally logged it that day and are getting some grief from someone who found it 2 January you could go back and delete your online log and relog it with a date of 3 January, or some other later date.

Hope that helps, but always keep in mind that it's only a game, and not a competitive game.

All the best,

erik