SideTracked Series

I was very pleased to discover the SideTracked series recently. As a non-car-driving, trainspotting type, I love travelling by rail, and found my first one in Crewe last week when I had to go there for a meeting. I'm keen to find a whole load more of these now.

There's roughly 2500 stations in the country, so how about we try planting caches near all of them?!? I'm certainly keen to do some of my local stations, so I'll scout them out shortly and see what I can do.

I'd like to make a little request for any cachers in the north-west - how about caches at the stations with the dubious honour of Britain's least frequent train service? These are Reddish South and Denton stations, on the Stockport to Stalybridge line - served by one train a week, in one direction! It would be interesting to see how many times it gets found...

Lee

I was very pleased to discover the SideTracked series recently. As a non-car-driving, trainspotting type, I love travelling by rail, and found my first one in Crewe last week when I had to go there for a meeting. I'm keen to find a whole load more of these now.

There's roughly 2500 stations in the country, so how about we try planting caches near all of them?!? I'm certainly keen to do some of my local stations, so I'll scout them out shortly and see what I can do.

I'd like to make a little request for any cachers in the north-west - how about caches at the stations with the dubious honour of Britain's least frequent train service? These are Reddish South and Denton stations, on the Stockport to Stalybridge line - served by one train a week, in one direction! It would be interesting to see how many times it gets found...

Lee

If we are going to have more Motorway Meyhem, Sidetracked, Off Your Trolley caches can hiders please make sure they find good locations. I've found them very hit and miss, some thoughtfully hidden in a good place to break your journey, some just tossed out in the nearest possible hide. I don't want to be seeking caches in piles of rubbish thankyouverymuch.

Oh and can we draw a line somewhere before someone puts out a nationwide bus stop series :(:D

Philip

There's roughly 2500 stations in the country, so how about we try planting caches near all of them?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Every heard the saying "Quality not Quantity"?

:(

Oh, point taken, certainly. It's possible to strike an acceptable compromise - there's plenty of cache setters who have lots of hides that are all very good.

I'm keen to do my local stations, but I'll only bother if I can find good locations for them - honest.

Lee

For goodness sake. Do we all vote labour? No. Do we all shop at the same supermarket? No. So do we all like the same Caches for the same reasons? NO

If you like them, do them, if you don't, avoid them, but PLEASE stop moaning every time someone mentions a micro cache series. Have you not heard the saying 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all'?

Anyway they can't be THAT bad, even the Deltas hid some! :P

Or is it just that you're all jealous that YOU didn't come up with the idea first? ;):laughing:

For goodness sake. Do we all vote labour? No. Do we all shop at the same supermarket? No. So do we all like the same Caches for the same reasons? NO

If you like them, do them, if you don't, avoid them, but PLEASE stop moaning every time someone mentions a micro cache series. Have you not heard the saying 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all'?

Or is it just that you're all jealous that YOU didn't come up with the idea first? ;):laughing:

Just re read the thread looking for anyone moaning, sorry cannot find it.

Then again even if they were surely this being a forum they would have a right to express an opinion?

Just re read the thread looking for anyone moaning, sorry cannot find it.

Then again even if they were surely this being a forum they would have a right to express an opinion?

Yup, don't see any moaning either, apart perhaps from the quite valid suggestion that it's quality rather than quantity that matters. In fact, the opinion here seems quite positive.

I also don't see anything that says SideTracked caches have to be micros. Not all of them are, although most of them are. A few are multis as well. Placing caches at urban stations makes micros a more suitable choice, but I can think of plenty of quieter stations where bigger caches would work just fine.

Each to his or her own...

I agree with the sentiments of the sceptics here. When placing a cache you should ask yourself if you are aiming to get people to visit the cache site because it is scenic or interesting. If it is neither then I think the caching world would be a better place without the cache. That is not to say that there aren't some railway stations that are interesting. However this is not train-spotting so don't over-estimate how many stations are actually interesting. I am sure that many supermarkets and motorway junctions are also interesting. Did I just write that last sentence???? I have done a few supermarket and motorway caches myself, but I always hate myself for it and feel the need to revert back to nature afterwards.

<snip>

Agreed ... we are a diverse community ... the caches should reflect this diversity and we should celebrate it, not pick at something simply because it is different or we might prefer not to be involved in it personally. :laughing:

<snip>

Agreed ... we are a diverse community ... the caches should reflect this diversity and we should celebrate it, not pick at something simply because it is different or we might prefer not to be involved in it personally. :laughing:

Still Looking for the bit where people have "moaned" or "picked" on something here.

An advert for eggs sums it up for me.

The diversity, you can ignore them if you don't like them, more caches are good (it is about the numbers) arguments seem to advocate a complete lack of quality control is justified. On this basis placing a 100,000 nanos behind every road name (ok a few would be disallowed under the 100m rule) is acceptable. At least one person is bound to be interested in road names so don't knock the diversity, you don't have to do them and we can all do 1,000 caches in the next month. Good caches need to be protected from bad caches so that the appropriate reward for getting them is maintained.

The diversity, you can ignore them if you don't like them, more caches are good (it is about the numbers) arguments seem to advocate a complete lack of quality control is justified.

So by your analogy, diversity = bad caches? Hmmmm.

Really, as there is no control on other caches, I dont know why you feel this series should be any different.

The two caches in this series that I have done have been far more meritorious than some other apparent regular caches that I have done, which were placed in nothing short of run down degenerated urban decay.