Geo- cracking?

I know it's a bit Off Topic. (I watched Lactodorum's vid clip :( )

But maybe, just maybe, someone's cache has disappeared into a vast, gaping crack in the Earth's crust somewhere around Hartlepool...

So - Who felt the quake?

MrsB

Nope not a sausage. I was awake at the time and in the East Midlands too!

I know it's a bit Off Topic. (I watched Lactodorum's vid clip :D )

But maybe, just maybe, someone's cache has disappeared into a vast, gaping crack in the Earth's crust somewhere around Hartlepool...

So - Who felt the quake?

MrsB

Yep, felt it whilst watching Shaun of the Dead :(

I'm in South Staffs.

question is, when kent had its earthquake someone put a cache out to celebrate the event, so who is going to get one out on the epi centre?

The information given by the British Geological Survey shows the epicentre was N53 25.140 W0 21.240 which is near the corner of a field just off Low Road heading out of Osgodby near Osgodby Moor.

Looking on Google Earth there a few handy trees nearby which would provide useful hiding places.

Which Lincolnshire cacher is up to the challenge?

Edited by astra-nomical

question is, when kent had its earthquake someone put a cache out to celebrate the event, so who is going to get one out on the epi centre?

The information given by the British Geological Survey shows the epicentre was N53 25.140 W0 21.240 which is near the corner of a field just off Low Road heading out of Osgodby near Osgodby Moor.

Looking on Google Earth there a few handy trees nearby which would provide useful hiding places.

Which Lincolnshire cacher is up to the challenge?

The nearby trees just happen to be owned by the FC so the usual rules for a cache on their land applies :(

497824d2-4488-49c0-b76d-e411fdb1dbed.jpg

Pyoung1S was at my house and we were drinking coffee and having a natter on his way up to Scotland.

He was about to leave my house and I shifted in the chair and felt a distinct wobble, but at the time assumed it was just me being very tired and all that.

I was dead impressed this morning to hear it was an earth quake, and even more so to find out the epicentre was so far away in Lincs... I am in Wirral - between Liverpool and Chester, so on completely the opposite side of the counry.

Yup... certainly felt it in Rutland. Woke us up and lasted for a further good 15 seconds or so. Stuck my head out the window to hear the lamp posts creaking and heard the sheep in nearby fields going absolutely Baaahhhmy. The noise was really weird... A mix of a passing high speed train, thunder and a jet engine.

Jon.

I thought I had slept through it, but thinking about it, my book and radio remote control fell off the bedside table just after I went to sleep, which must have been about one-ish, so that may have been the quake. Then again, I did sleep through Buncefieldand I am only 4 miles away, LOL.

Felt it, blimey ended up on the floor, no drink involved :D

Actually in a hotel in Louth about 10 miles away, everything really shook, people (one woman and two men) running around the hotel screaming, couple of car alarms went off and then nothing. :D

That was really strange all the chaos and then total silence. :(

Minor damage in the hotel this morning, broken plates/pictures but nothing else.

Staff in the hotel over breakfast actually said that it was the most exciting thing that has every happened in Louth!!! :D Well, have you ever been to Louth :(:(

Apologies to any Louth cachers B):lol:

Cache in the area, have to have look as i'm in the area quite a lot. :D

Cheers

Nick

I know it's a bit Off Topic. (I watched Lactodorum's vid clip :laughing: )

So - Who felt the quake?

MrsB

I was in hampshire so I shouldnt have felt anything, but I was still dissapointed for missing it.

Mr B here - I'm in Northampton and certainly felt it, I was suddenly wakened to find the bed shaking...... but is this your first quake? I can claim it as my second, having already had one in Iran about 4 years ago..... anyone else had had the earth move more than once!!

Chris

I felt the one in 84 or whenever - I was a kid and my parents didn't believe me as they felt nothing out in the garden! Then saw it on the news!

We lived about 8 miles from Dudley when that one went off! Woke up to the house shaking and we thought at first that a plane was on its way in (on BHX flight path!) Schnarff said 'the house is falling down' and I, deeply caring person that I am, apparently replied 'don't worry love, it's just an earthquake' :laughing: Then I went back to sleep. In the morning I thought I'd dreamt it, but no, I really AM that charming :laughing:

Unfortunately didn't make it to 3 as felt NOTHING this time round - Evesham. I can only theorise that it's the house that makes the difference - my parents felt nothing in the garden, it was appalling in our new build, and we felt nothing in our 1950s house (built just after the war - still worried about bombs?)

PS Just spotted Blorenge on the Crickhowell OS map lol :anibad:

I felt it up in Kendal, Cumbria a few mins before 1am, thought it was someone running over my bed at first then concluded it must be a quake, went on for about 2secs, I was listening to LBC radio at the time - after the 1am news the presenter said that something strange was going on (he hadn't felt is or known about) as usually they have no new callers as they change presenters at that time - but whilst the news was on all their phone lines were full which was a first for them.

Was it 84 the last one ? but i missed that one as well ; was driving back home from work :laughing: (which is probaly why) family were talking about it when i got home ; me saying `what earthquake ,what tremor ?`

This time I woke about 2:30 which obviously was after the event ...unless it was a delayed reaction :P

Probaly miss the next one as well ;)

I am meeting with the local officer shortly to arrange getting a cache on this site! :P

Ness.

Well done CHC ;) , don't forget to post a Reviewer note stating it's placed with permission :laughing:

From the sounds of it :) I seem to have been one of the few people sat at their PC's when it hit [i live in North Wales not far from Prestatyn ] being the diligent Reviewer :P . My desk was vibrating and my stomach churned :laughing:. As there was no damage, I just thought I'd imagined it until I saw the news in the morning :unsure:

As for the rest of the household, my O/H thought it was me being noisy ;) , my daughter blamed one of the cats, that she thought was on her bunk having a scratch :anicute: . And my eldest slept through it all :P

I'm in Bucks and online, chatting to a friend in London when she suddenly said "It's an Earthquake! Quick, what should I do?" - I thought she was kidding as I couldn't feel a thing. I told her to hide under a heavy table, while secretly thinking it was a big truck going by. Then I saw a report on the BBC's web site and saw she wasn't having a funny turn. With all the post-quake fuss, I feel rather cheated that I was awake and felt nothing- more than that, none of the carefully balanced items I have around the house fell over. Oddly, a friend just half a mile up the road from me was shaken awake and thought the house had been hit by something. I suppose I was just in the middle of a shadow-zone. (Google it! Oh alright, maybe I wasn't in a shadow zone, but there were no barking dogs, car alarms, rattles or rumbles on my street.)

Mr B here - I'm in Northampton and certainly felt it, I was suddenly wakened to find the bed shaking...... but is this your first quake? I can claim it as my second, having already had one in Iran about 4 years ago..... anyone else had had the earth move more than once!!

Chris

I felt it here in Aberystwyth on the west coast of Wales. It was like someone had dropped a heavy item of furniture in the next room, as my chair was moving; then like someone upstairs was throwing stuff around as well. the whole room was shaking. I went up stairs to see if anyone else in the house was awake but it was all in darkness . I had a call from Samurai Dan who asked me if we had jsut had an earthquake, so I knew I was not imagining things. When I went to bed I dreamed that the quakeshad broken bits off the earth and they were floating off into space. ;)

When I went to work yesterday and asked if anyone had felt the earthquake they all laughed at me and said theres no way it would have been felt over here. Today one colleague had the cheek to come and tell me I am not going mad, there really was an earthquake and her neighbour had felt it too. So that's alright then if the neighbour felt it :laughing:

There was a quake in Birmingham three or four years ago (ish) and I felt that one too, it shook me out of bed and everything in the room was rattling. ?So yes, I have been in two as well.

Today I met a FC official who gave permission for this site (in principle) and went to have a look at it.

he site itself is a field full of happy chickens, to get a cache site as near as possible I had to go through fairly dense woodland with a lot of brambles and other groundcover including, unfortunately, litter. In summer I should think it would be more difficult to get to the spot than today. A few hundred yards away I found an alternative spot in the same woods that was close to a fairly clear path and litter-free.

So my question is where should I put it? I didn't enjoy getting to the closest spot at all, whereas the other walk would be pleasant enough if it wasn't raining (it was).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ness.

if you didn't enjoy it then the chances are others won't. I'd go for the 2nd spot if it were me.

Just saw this thread :D

People will be more than happy with your second choice :lol: Mind you, with the thought of all those chickens you mention the logs will be interesting ;)

We got hit quite impressively. I was writing on my laptop at the time and the table shook so much the laptop began to rattle towards the edge. Our house now has small cracks, the soot in the chimney fell down in clumps and a neighbour's brick garden wall collapsed. Our next door neighbour's brand now conservatory roof has shifted to a weird angle.

Not as bad as a Leicestershire 13th century church which has very serious damage in danger of collapse. It will costs thousands to stabilise.

bc52dc32-92eb-44e5-9645-74be85b29798.jpg

Isnt there a church in Oxford which had a spring revealed under their floor when the earthquake struck there?