60csx chipset update 3.00 issue

hogrod

I updated my 60csx with the webupdater to chipset 3.00 a couple months ago, but have been having a slight issue with my gps getting initial satellite lock since then.

Cold start my gps used to be around 45sec. with version 2.90 of the chipset software, but with version 3.00 its usually just under 2minutes, especially when moving. Today I finally got around to installing the older 2.90 chipset software and my unit is back to normal 45sec first fix times.

has anyone else had any issues with the 3.00 chipset software?

Edited by hogrod

I didn't notice any changes when I updated from 2.90 to 3.00. I do notice a delay sometimes in getting a satellite lock but only when I have changed positions by a couple of hundred miles from when I last had the unit on or if I haven't turned it on in quite some time. In both of these situations it is normal for it to take longer. You might try putting the unit out in the open (no obstrucitons) for 20+ minutes and not moving it the first time after updating to 3.0, to give it sufficient time to load the almanac.

My 60CSx almost always locks on in less than 45 sec. with 3.00 if I haven't changed locations significanlty from the last point it was on.

has anyone else had any issues with the 3.00 chipset software?

3.00 chipset software?

Garmin website states that:

GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.90 as of Nov 27, 2006 on garmin website

I wonder where and how you got your hands on 3.00 ? :laughing:

You have to go through Webupdater for it to appear. Here is the link to an earlier post discussing it. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=178831&hl=

You have to go through Webupdater for it to appear. Here is the link to an earlier post discussing it. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=178831&hl=

Indeed.

Updated it now to 3.00 and seems that unit is now having much more trouble getting initial fix if it has been off for a while. ofcourse, I have not yet tested it outside, but on my desk, where it usually gets lock with no problem at all, it now struggles.

So you're not the only one experiening this.

Edit: and another thing - I now can see EGNOS ang get those little D's on display again. After chitpset firmware corruption I found a version 2.90 from web and flashed the device. I really dont know what chipsert firmware there was before, but I could get WAAS/EGNOS fix before corruption and not after. Now with 3.00 I can again get WAAS/EGNOS fix.

I'll test the acquiering times some further. But as stated before - seems to have more trouble with initial fix.

Edited by v2lek

Updated it now to 3.00 and seems that unit is now having much more trouble getting initial fix if it has been off for a while. of course, I have not yet tested it outside, but on my desk, where it usually gets lock with no problem at all, it now struggles.

So you're not the only one experiencing this.

Thats exactly the problem I was having, I used to get initial lock quickly at my desk, and only occasionally had issues when moving in the car. With the 3.00 update it seems to always struggle with getting initial lock(cold start), usually taking just under 2 minutes. I have been using the 3.00 update for a couple months now so I definitely have let the unit bake in under a clear sky on numerous occasions since I installed the update.

I remember reading that there was really no changes with this update so it seems strange that there would be any issues.

So,

does anyone have any further information or experiences with this issue ?

Have been using this firmware ever since and about 50% or more times my gpsr is really really having trouble with initial fix after it has been off for a while. It's not that it does not see satellites. It sees them well, but it seems like it just wont believe in them - bars are hollow for a long long time. Often at least 2 minutes or more, before it actually accepts enough satellite's signals to get a fix.

And sometimes it has to be turned off only for a day to see the problem. And sometimes theres no problems.

It's not THAT big of a problem, but it is annoying. And it might have more trouble with initial fix under bad conditions than I would like.

Since older firmware crashed on my gpsr earlier - I don't want to go back on that one either - would suck to be with a broken gpsr out on the field.

Garmin of course, as I understand, denies that theres anything wrong with firmware 3.00...

If more people would report in with their experience maybe we could get a newer, better firmware.

mine is doing the same thing after it had been updated,it was much faster at acquiring the satellites signals when the unit was new out of the box before it was updated. how do you know the WAAS is working,I do have it enabled is there a way to tell if actually working?

this is what I get inside the house.

DSC03813.jpg

outside

DSC03835.jpg

Edited by poodlenuts

I bought my 60CSx in Sept 2007, with the Chipset software 2.9, but when I updated to 3.0, it became a problem, with every 3rd boot up, comming up at 8pm Mar 31, 2007, and it takes forever to correct itself, even with an open sky. I have done a master reset, to no avil, so I just posted a new thread, asking about a GPS that is accurate, but also boots up quickly, so as not to waste gasoline.