1 day in miami near airport

escondido100

aloha from hawaii....we will be traveling to costa rica to visit family in early april....we have a 20 hour layover at MIA. we will be staying at the days inn near the airport and we want to go over to the calle ocho area to explore a little... i was hoping to get....say 5 caches while i am there.....does any one have a recommendation on some gotta find caches in this area...we wont have a car....so maybe by taxi or bus. how is the transit in this area.....really appreciate any help.....mahalo

Well, the closest to the airport is spotter's paradise (GCY6CA), that is an easy one. You can go to that cache page and click on "all nearby caches that I haven't found" . There is Lunchtime escape #2 nearby but if you are coming on a weekend that one is pretty much impossible to do due to the muggle factor. If you want to cache on 8th street (also known as Tamiami trail) there are 5 easy caches in a small area. Maybe get a cab to drop you off at one end say NW 57th Ave and 8th St do the two in that area and walk to 42nd Ave along 8th street getting the two caches in the middle and one on 42nd. 8th street is very long and I'm not sure where you are headed, but those would be easy ones to get then catch a cab to your next destination. Oh the caches are Quickie (GC16E3J), Coral Gables Entrance (GC10EMX), Historicamo #5 (GC14E4V), Just Say No #10 (GC17ZT9) and Green Wall 11 (GC17ZTB). Those are all fairly easy ones to do and won't take much time. Not sure how many cabs linger in that area though. Email me if you have any more questions or need anything else. My email address is spoiled7@bellsouth.net. Hope this helps, welcome to Miami and enjoy your quick stay.

Are you staying at the one north of the airport (on 36th street) or the one south of the airport off of 72nd ave? If you plan to stay at the north one, and don't mind a bit of walking, I will likely have a few new ones hidden in the area by then - I have containers ready to go, but haven't had a long lunch break to go do it. Right now, the closest would be my Lunchtime Escape #1 - Over the River. Also nearby would be the Throne of Thoth and Dogs and Bikes Don't Mix.

The south side Days Inn is a bit of a void because the area is very industrial. You would definitely need to be very cautious walking about, but it is possible to get to a nearby bus line 73 going south, from which you would need to transfer to another route for either Calle Ocho or a good caching spot.

From the North Days Inn, bus route 42 will take you south to Coral Gables, which has lots of caches. From the North Days Inn, it would require either a walk, or take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and find your way to the bus station there. It will also take you to SW 8th street (Calle Ocho) where you would need to transfer to an eastbound bus to get to the heart of the area. Check out the Miami-Dade Transit web site for a route planner and maps. The system map is http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf

thanks for your helpful replies...... i have glanced at the google maps of those areas and have a feel doe what you are suggesting. my wife wants to go to calle ocho...the cuban part of miami....she is from costa rica...she thinks that will be fun.....is it? what sould we expect......i see no caches in tha area if i am reading the map right.....