60CSx vs Vista HCx

thegeoranger

Hello

I am new handheld gpsr's and deciding between vista HCx and 60CSx. (While I like the colorado 300, cant afford it at this time). I will be using it with CN-NT 2008 and Topo2008. Even after reading all posts and description - I cannot arrive at a decision. Any help is appreciated.

I will be using it for geo-caching and street routing. Also can someone please post (or point to) vista HCx and 60CSx screenshots in automobile routing mode with CN-NT maps.

thank you.

thegeoranger

Like PigPen I have both and for auto use much prefer the 60. I use one of those cell phone holders to mount it and the side clamps interfere with the buttons on the side of the Vista. The front mounted buttons on the 60 work just fine. Also while the resolution is the same the 60 screen is larger so easier at least for me to take in at a glance while driving. I know some will come along with the Vista screen is brighter argument and while it is noticably brighter I personally have never had a problem with viewing the 60 under any conditions. One other thing to consider if you're going to be using either in the car fairly often, get a USB car type charger/adaptor. I use the generic mini usb phone chargers that are sold for Motorola cell phones.

Trooper.

I will use it for auto navigation fairly often. I assume the generic mini-usb phone charger just runs the unit.

WRT screen, I've seen posts saying that the top portion of the 60csx is used to show status etc., thus reducing the effective screen height. I did visit the local rei store to get a feel for the two units but havent viewed a street map yet.

Edited by thegeoranger
WRT screen, I've seen posts saying that the top portion of the 60csx is used to show status etc., thus reducing the effective screen height.

Both, the Vista HCx and 60CSx are able to display the custom "data fields" ("status", as you refer to it) at the top of the GPS screen. Also, on both units you can set it so no custom "data fields" are displayed thus giving you a larger map view area. The screen on the HCx gets rather small when custom fields are displayed.

I use the 60CSx for hunting, boating, ATVing, and for auto navigation. I prefer the larger screen with the buttons on the front since I am using it while driving and operating other modes of transportation. If my only use was hunting and geocaching I might lean toward the smaller and longer battery life of the HCx. I've been well pleased with my 60CSx.

The 60csx may have a larger screen dimensionally, but the HCX has a higher screen pixel count, so more detail can be shown on it.

For those looking at buying either a 60CSx or Vista HCx to say that the HCx has more detail is somewhat misleading if you aren't already familiar with both units. The HCx's screen is noticeably brighter and has a higher pixel count giving the screen a higher resolution, but the detail of the maps (what is actually displayed) is the same, just the screen resolution is different. There have been some reports here on the forum that the later model HCx's screen back lighting may not be as bright as the earlier models. This would definitely be something I would want to verify if I were considering a new Vista HCx.

For those of us with aging eyes the slightly larger text of the 60CSx vs the HCx's smaller screen is not a large amount of difference but just enought to make the difference in seeing it quickly at a glance while primarly focused on operating some mode of transportation.

For those times that you may want to put a "data field" at the top of your map screen page for convience sake, it still leaves the same size screen, approximately, on the 60CSx as the Vista HCx with no data fields showing. If you add a data field at the top of the map screen page on the Vista HCx it then makes the map area displayed seem very small.

With all the discussions there have been comparing these 2 units for new GPSers and upgraders it really boils down to personal preference. Both are excellent GPSs.

Edited by eaparks

A couple of more queries:

1. Do both these units show street names, poi alerts etc. during auto navigation ?

2. Is 60csx worth the extra price ? Garmin comparison shows only Tide tables and sd card as the difference (in addition to dimensions). I am still at a loss wrt price.

Thank you for your help (& patience)

A couple of more queries:

1. Do both these units show street names, poi alerts etc. during auto navigation ?

2. Is 60csx worth the extra price ? Garmin comparison shows only Tide tables and sd card as the difference (in addition to dimensions). I am still at a loss wrt price.

Thank you for your help (& patience)

answers: 1 - yes; 2 - Only you can decide that, to me it was. The 60CSx can be bought for around $299 now, Vista HCx around $230. Leave off the compass and alitimeter on the CSx and can be bought for around $250, the Legend HCx under $200. For my purposes the compass is useful, that opinoin varies considerably among users.

The screens / software of the 60CSx and the Vista HCx for the majority of users is identical. Only a limited number of users will use the Jumpmaster (parachuting) feature on the 60CSx. It does come preloaded with the tide tables for the U.S. but they can also be downloaded to the Vista HCx free.

edited:

As far as the memory card supplied with the 60CSx you will want a larger one anyway so don't consider that in making your decision. A 2gb Micro SD card can be bought for $20. There was another post today about wroot.com selling a lot of (3) 2gb cards for $6.99 each plus $5.00 shipping.

Edited by eaparks
WRT screen, I've seen posts saying that the top portion of the 60csx is used to show status etc., thus reducing the effective screen height.

Both, the Vista HCx and 60CSx are able to display the custom "data fields" ("status", as you refer to it) at the top of the GPS screen.

No, custom data fields are not the same thing as the status bar. The status bar appears above the data fields, and shows the battery status or auxiliary power icon, satellite lock status, and icons for compass on, backlight on, and USB connection when applicable. See Page 7 of the 60CSx user manual. The status bar does take up a little screen real estate, about 0.15”. I wish there were an option to turn it off; but it isn’t a big deal.

My bad, you are correct, roybassist. It's been 2 years since I've used my manual. When new users start questioning screen size of the 2 units in question the status bar doesn't usually come up in conversation. I never think about it being there, but am always checking my battery level no matter what screen I may be own, so I must find it very benefical even though I never think of it.

The screens / software of the 60CSx and the Vista HCx for the majority of users is identical. Only a limited number of users will use the Jumpmaster (parachuting) feature on the 60CSx. It does come preloaded with the tide tables for the U.S. but they can also be downloaded to the Vista HCx free.

NOTE: JUMPMASTER is also on the Vista HCx.