2.60 Update & Glossary of terms for GPS

hcxgps

Great forum!

Reading through the forum, I noticed that it was recommended to update the eTrex Vista HCX unit to 2.60/2.60, (which I have done) and was wondering if the update has corrected all the problems mentioned. I'm a new owner of this unit, and learning to use it.

Also, we're looking to purchase a Nuvi unit for our vehicle, but get a little confused when doing all the comparing and trying to figure out if we need/what are routes, auto sort-destinations, auto re-route, etc. Is there any site that list a glossary of terms for GPS units? This would also be helpful for the eTrex Vista HCX.

Any help would be appreciated.

Great forum!

Reading through the forum, I noticed that it was recommended to update the eTrex Vista HCX unit to 2.60/2.60, (which I have done) and was wondering if the update has corrected all the problems mentioned. I'm a new owner of this unit, and learning to use it.

Also, we're looking to purchase a Nuvi unit for our vehicle, but get a little confused when doing all the comparing and trying to figure out if we need/what are routes, auto sort-destinations, auto re-route, etc. Is there any site that list a glossary of terms for GPS units? This would also be helpful for the eTrex Vista HCX.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been using a Vista HCx for about two months now. Until I read your post I had been using 2.50/2.60. THe unit has been used mainly for geocaching - but I have logged several hikes and viewed them in Mapsource TOPO 2008. I'm not quite as particular as some in verifying miles in the trip meter vs the log. Bottom line is that it has performed very good for geocaching, usually getting within a few feet of the cache. Now that I've downloaded 2.60/2.60 I'll be curious to see if there's any improvements that I notice.

As far as the Nuvi goes, yes it's all rather confusing (so is the Vista for that matter). Garmin used to produce much better manuals for their units. I have an old Etrex basic and a III+ as reference points and the Vista HCx is vastly superior. I also have built-in nav systems in two cars, and bought a Nuvi200W for use when travelling (and possibly for biking). Unless you need maps of Canada or Europe, the 200W is totally adequate. I spotted it online for $200 this week (which is a real bargain). If you have the cash, some of the features on the higher end models are nice (bluetooth, weather, traffic, mp3, etc), but they aren't really needed. Additionally, spoken street names is overrated. My car has the feature, and my wife's doesn't (and the 200w doesn't). Trust me, you don't need it. Prompts like turn left in 200 feet and turn here (when coupled with the display) are actually less confusing than turn left on xxx street in 200 feet (it's more info than you really need to get the job done.