Missing a TB

Flatouts

I came in here looking for a person(s) to directly ask what should I do -

I've stumbled onto what appears to be a Cacher (with 345 finds - even owns 3 TBs) that has a misunderstanding of how TB's work however, they did do the one GEO coin hey encountered correctly as far as I can tell. Now I've read a few posts and the real shocker - they have brought others into this sport and thus might be spreading this misunderstanding ;)

I found this out whilst watching one of my coins recently dropped to see just where that was and then I noticed a horrorable sight TB #_______ right there in a posting - OMG

So I did some looking and found this was a common practice that not only did this cacher post the serial number but never logs the retrieve or actually does the drop. ;)

So who should I contact or posting the cachers name on here do the job...? ;)

No names, just post the reference number listed in the upper left hand corner of the bug/coin page.

Let's start with that.

I think he means :TB3A78 and TBNMJJ (far as I got) logged into GCQ4DP. Maybe a reviewer can go by and edit it out.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

No, there's no editing option nor would the reviewers want to add that to their task list.

Send the cacher a friendly note explaining why tracking numbers should not be listed in their cache log. Better to use the reference number listed on the bug page.

I'd be happy to give an example of a friendly letter, I'm just not in the mood at the moment. Thank you.

I was composing a friendly letter and the more I researched and found that this was the case for ALL 41 TB that they had handled the worse the FRIENDLY Letter grew - me being somewhat of a Newbie telling someone that has be doing this 3 times longer than myself I found nice words harder and harder to spell correctly...

This is a huge mess - in involves 40 TBs thus 80 caches approx :(

Thus I thought perhaps someone with ah some kind of authority might be better received by the perpetrators.

I didn't want to post TB# or Cache Page IDs as it would be amplifying what damage has already been done - who knows who reads this forum. Nothing personal just need to know whom I should send the info to?

Sorry I didn't respond last night, I was/am a bit under the weather and had crashed out after posting.

Edited by Flatouts

No names, just post the reference number listed in the upper left hand corner of the bug/coin page.

Let's start with that.

I think he means :TB3A78 and TBNMJJ (far as I got) logged into GCQ4DP. Maybe a reviewer can go by and edit it out.

Dag, you folks are goooood... Yes that is the page I made the initial discovery - and yes TBNMJJ is the one I noticed then went from that point to the cacher profile to send a friendly message (curiosity took me beyond that). I'm thinking every Owner involved would like to know where and who - if you look at the TBs involved a few are now with ?Unknown, some were retrieved by this cacher but not dropped and some have been found and grabbed. At this point I've done a lot more research than I ever intended. If someone doesn't step in I might be compelled to send my message to this cacher even though it might make for an uncomfortable situation at a meet and greet down the road.

But IDK where you got TB3A78?

I know from first hand exp that it's real easy to screw these things up, misplace and so on. I also know how important it is to the owners who watch as they progress - let alone the time, expense and page space.

It would seem that there should be some kind of wide spread etiquette that needs to be applied - I personally think it's already there and clear enough but obviously it's not. That is probably why there are so many missing in action, lost miles...ya da ya da - as for steeling or just plan collecting well some people just can't be helped. I know that I've put out only a few and a couple are very nice and limited editions so if you take one of mine be prepared to answer to me FACE TO FACE as I track them very carefully.

Sorry I got carried away a bit - this kind of stuff is everywhere it just stinks it's in this game/sport - it's taken us a little while to discover and will take a lot longer to get used to it. I choose my friends carefully and choose the ones I tell about this activity even more carefully - lucky for me I am surrounded by really decent people by choice.

It would seem that there should be some kind of wide spread etiquette that needs to be applied - I personally think it's already there and clear enough but obviously it's not. That is probably why there are so many missing in action, lost miles...ya da ya da - as for steeling or just plan collecting well some people just can't be helped. I know that I've put out only a few and a couple are very nice and limited editions so if you take one of mine be prepared to answer to me FACE TO FACE as I track them very carefully.

You would think so, but unfortunately this game of geocaching is like controlled chaos. Users find the website, learn the bare minimum, and then start finding (and even hiding!) caches. There is no entrance exam or even a mandatory FAQ to read. Most never bother to look at the forums. :rolleyes: It is kind of amazing any TBs survive. <_<

True - Heck I just found out about the Geocachers Creed the other day.

Lucky for me I've been properly advised and guided which really enhances the experience.

Perhaps the concepts would be clearer if they were part of an introduction to geocaching... This stuff ain't hard, some puzzles are but the rest is pretty straight forward.