garmin colorado 300 vs 400

nollscoffen

After over 1 year I've decided to upgrade my GPS and buy a new unit.

I'm really interested in a garmin Colorado, however I can't really tell the difference between the 300 and the 400.

From what I read the various 400 come with pre-loaded maps, but these wouldn't help me much as I'm based in europe. That being the case, do you reckon the 300 would suffice if I bought it with a pre-loaded european map (available in the european version)?

Apart from this, what other differences can I expect when comparing the 300 and 400?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 300 offers a "worldwide" basemap, which should include U.S. and Europe. I think the 400 only offers a U.S. road basemap, again could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere. The hardware is exactly the same with the caveat that the 400 has more internal memory so as to load the topo on. If I was in your shoes I would buy the 300. Although if you had the cash to throw around you could get the 400 and erase the topo then you'd have alot of internal memory free. Then again kind of a waste since you get an SD slot with the unit.

I also live outside the US and would say that the 300 is really the only choice for people outside of the US. The real difference is that the 400 series come with builtin US maps and the 300 doesn't. You would be paying for a map you wouldn't likely use. The 300 has all the same functionality and is really intended for the rest of the worlders like us.

JD