Your best find?

It's very hard to pick a favorite. I think the most fun I ever had on a cache hunt was when I set out with 2 other cachers on a 4 star terrain cache hunt with very steep hills, and a fresh coating of snow on top of mud, and wound up meeting another cacher in the field... and then another! Can't beat experiences like that.

Heck, I have a top-10 list on my profile. It's really hard to pick just one as an absolute favorite. Some are great hikes, some are dastardly micros, and some are just plain well-thought-out experiences that I'm really glad I was a part of. However, for the sake of contributing to this thread, I've picked a couple that just can't be replicated anywhere else, and you simply must visit if you're anywhere near them: Manunka Chunk Tunnels, Mt. Tabor Walking Tour, and Ringing Rocks Earthcache.

That's always a tough question. I personally find it difficult to narrow it down to just one.

My top 5, in no certain order, would be

Lone Palm (Nice hike, great views over the Pacific Ocean, and interesting things to see on the way. Also unique terrain....we certainly don't have lava fields in Ohio.)

Take it and Break it (this makes my list because it was the cache that introduced me to Geocaching, and I enjoy wheeling my Jeep)

Captain McHarry's Vault (Nice hike, great view over the Ohio River into Louisville, KY, interesting to see a burial vault in the middle of nowhere. Also interesting "ghost" story related to the area)

The Wood Nymph (Nice hike, great views over Lake Tahoe, especially if you continue up the trail further. I also enjoyed finding this cache on the way to taking this Green Jeep TB to its namesake peak.)

Kiedaisch Cache (Not much of a hike, but in a park that's probably not well known outside of the immediate area. Great view over the Ohio River)

I've had quite a few caches that I really liked. One that stands out a bit though is Tire Swing Teddy. It's a multi that involves a physical puzzle, a hike to the second stage, a second hike to the final stage, additional coordinates for a retrieval device, and a difficult retrieval and replacement. It also involves some physical danger and requires care in order to complete it without getting hurt or possibly killed. There are great views at stage two and especially at the final stage. There aren't any other caches in this area like this one.

One amazing find I made a while back was called Jubliee's decepition. A twelve stage cache that have up to two set's of cords at each stage one would take you to a dead end and then you would have to go back to the last stage and look around for more cords. The hides where all cleaver and there was no way of telling if you had the good cord or the bads one's till you found more cords or a container that said dead end. It involved 10 miles or so of hiking threw a great park.

Another one was called the eye of the needle where you had to find a key using a picture of the area and counting off paces then taking the key and find a hidden lock which was hide so all you could see was a small hole but you put the key in and the fake water facet would come apart. the facet was in a very old fish pond type thing that still had the sides of the tanks fill of colorfully tiles and the guy that made it took all the metal pieces and dipped them in acid so they rusted very quickly so they looked as old as the fish pond area.

It's a toss-up between my 1st attempt at a FTF, where I met two other geocachers, and my 1st FTF,..

the cache is now disabled, because close proximity to a reservoir, while looking around, I hear a motorcycle approaching.. Then stopped right at the top of the stairway near the cache.. Here I met W-I-D-E-Glide, and TeddyBear. the 1st ever team effort to find a nano. They had tried earlier to find it, but DNF'ed and hoped someone else would find it. Sure enough, I was there looking.. between the three of us, we had a general location, exhausted most of the normal places, then I started looking in the tiny places, sure enough. spotted it. opened it, in great anticipation of my 1st FTF, only to see two others had already found it. <_< Oh-well.. we each signed it, snapped a picture of the three of us near the site, exchanged a few 'war stories', between the veteran cachers and the green-behind-the-ears newby who just nabbed it for them. :) , then scrammed.

my 1st official FTF, was trying to find a new bunch way off east of my home location.. Hoping I had found 1, turned out it was already found.. So, I made my way out.. But, another was along the way.. Decided to take a shot at it.. After a good 30 minutes searching, and saying hello to one of the trail regulars (local resident who was walking her dog, and curious what this nutcase with a flashlight on his hat, and a GPS was doing off the trail.), I noticed one item out of place.. turned it over, and there it was. Film Canister.. opened it.. Totally blank signature list. Met-up with the lady walking the dog on my way out, and told her I had found it. When she initially asked what I was doing, I mentioned about geocaching, which she never heard of, but had heard of letterboxing, so she had a basic concept of what it was about.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6