Triton 200,300,400 Firmware Update 1.30

Walt Jabsco

Magellan just released Ver 1.30 firmware. You now have paperless caching, the brief description and long description of geocaches. The nearest function for caches is now fixed, as well as some other fixes like the clock, an icon when it's thinking, etc...

Edit: For the Triton 300 the firmware version is 1.43

Garmin sock puppets attack!

Edited by Walt Jabsco

Magellan would have been smart to advertise this capability!! I found out about paperless caching yesterday....the same day my Colorado arrived. No bugs here and now I am a fan. I warned Magellan and even called tech support regarding the Triton's capabilities and they were clueless.

Well, if you haven't already bought the silicon grease and vaseline accessories needed to get your Colorado to work as advertised, you can always return it and get the Triton ;)

*tap* tap* hello? is thing on? I was expecting at least a couple posts by people intolerant of an accent different than their own, lambasting Magellan's customer service by now....

Edited by Walt Jabsco

Magellan would have been smart to advertise this capability!! I found out about paperless caching yesterday....the same day my Colorado arrived. No bugs here and now I am a fan. I warned Magellan and even called tech support regarding the Triton's capabilities and they were clueless.

Well, if you haven't already bought the silicon grease and vaseline accessories needed to get your Colorado to work as advertised, you can always return it and get the Triton ;)

*tap* tap* hello? is thing on? I was expecting at least a couple posts by people intolerant of an accent different than their own, lambasting Magellan's customer service by now....

Point taken...I am more frustrated that Magellan did not advertise this and that the tech support did not know enough about the Triton. Had it been advertised, I would have bought it then and put up with "bugs" for a while. As for now, id I am honest with myself, I really like the Colorado.

Magellan just released Ver 1.30 firmware. You now have paperless caching, the brief description and long description of geocaches. The nearest function for caches is now fixed, as well as some other fixes like the clock, an icon when it's thinking, etc...

Edit: For the Triton 300 the firmware version is 1.43

Garmin sock puppets attack!

Magellan has since removed the updates and went back to the earlier firmware. They will not tell anyone why, I am a Triton 500 owner so It did not affect Me except for delaying the release of the T500 firmware which I have already waited two months for. I am very disappointed with Magellan their customers service is basically non-existant, they do not even attempt to answer emails. I would not recommend a triton to anyone until they get these things fixed as they are virtually unusable. Edited by archers_paradox

Point taken...I am more frustrated that Magellan did not advertise this and that the tech support did not know enough about the Triton. Had it been advertised, I would have bought it then and put up with "bugs" for a while. As for now, id I am honest with myself, I really like the Colorado.

It is rare that Tech Support will know anything about unreleased products even in Companies that are know for great tech support. Tech support is about supporting what is known, not that which may or may not become available in the future. If you want product information you need to contact the sales and marketing department.

As for no bugs with your Colorado, interesting. That seems to be contrary to what many of the posts are about on this forum, although maybe what some people think is a bug is simply a feature that does not exist.

Magellan has since removed the updates and went back to the earlier firmware. They will not tell anyone why, I am a Triton 500 owner so It did not affect Me except for delaying the release of the T500 firmware which I have already waited two months for. I am very disappointed with Magellan their customers service is basically non-existant, they do not even attempt to answer emails. I would not recommend a triton to anyone until they get these things fixed as they are virtually unusable.

I don't know about the firmware or why it was pulled but my personal experience with Magellan support was quite excellent. I sent an email on Christmas day about updating a Crossover unit I recieved as a gift. I got an email response the next day explaining how to do the firmware upgrades for the Crossover.

Edited by cowboyshootist

Magellan has since removed the updates and went back to the earlier firmware. They will not tell anyone why, I am a Triton 500 owner so It did not affect Me except for delaying the release of the T500 firmware which I have already waited two months for. I am very disappointed with Magellan their customers service is basically non-existant, they do not even attempt to answer emails. I would not recommend a triton to anyone until they get these things fixed as they are virtually unusable.

I don't know about the firmware or why it was pulled but my personal experience with Magellan support was quite excellent. I sent an email on Christmas day about updating a Crossover unit I recieved as a gift. I got an email response the next day explaining how to do the firmware upgrades for the Crossover.

My guess is that Magellan support is fine with "canned" responses, but they have trouble with new problems for which a script has not been developed yet.

I think what both of these companies need is a PR person, just 1, that would follow up on community forums and connect with people... trying to dig up firmware release dates, trying to find out what features a product might expect with a new update etc.

I'm reminded of the PC videogame arena where large multiplayer PC games often have a PR person that answers community questions and sort of has to don the flame retardant gear every once in a while to answer some hot questions. Interestingly enough these games are often played and even sometimes released in a beta format before they are fully polished (sound familiar?)

Honestly, if you don't have the best customer service in the world or even the best product in the world, if you are connected with your customer and honestly showing an effort to improve you are much better off.

SNIP

My guess is that Magellan support is fine with "canned" responses, but they have trouble with new problems for which a script has not been developed yet.

This may have been a "canned" response, not sure. The problem was when trying to download the firmware update on the web site entering the firmware revision number from the Crossroad would not produce the download. The tech explained that I needed to enter a different version number to get the latest download. So in that respect this was not a "here's a page from the manual" type of response.

Most customer service responses are pretty much canned unless the customer is actualy reporting a bug that has no immediate fix. I can also tell you when I asked Garmin for a "canned" answer on how to restore the map files on a Nuvi 650 it took 3 emails to get any sort of answer that made sense.

Not to be a Magellan fanboy but my point was this. Not all Magellan customer service requests are horror stories. I am sure there are plenty of them as reported here and on other forums. Likewise not all Garmin service requests result in an immediate and satisfactory answer. Just look at the many many posts about the Colorado.