a really good cache

kyk96

I know every poster will have different opinions, but I am wondering if there is consensus on what makes for a really good cache?

I want to do a cache that pays honor to an aspect of local history that few people know about, but would really find interesting. I have no breathtaking views at which to place the actual cache. So I'm curious about other ways you all have found to make a cache truly exceptional and worth remembering.

thoughts? suggestions? ideas you've seen/experienced?

thanks in advance!

~kim

I know every poster will have different opinions, but I am wondering if there is consensus on what makes for a really good cache?

I want to do a cache that pays honor to an aspect of local history that few people know about, but would really find interesting. I have no breathtaking views at which to place the actual cache. So I'm curious about other ways you all have found to make a cache truly exceptional and worth remembering.

thanks in advance!

~kim

The ones I remember are the ones that are well hidden and well camo'd. I like having to hunt around and scratch my head a little bit. Nothing is worse than pulling up to the cache site and knowing where it is before you get out of your car.

When this subject came up recently (see "What makes a cache a good one?"), I was trying to think of my personal "good cache" criteria. But for anything I came up with, I could think of a caches that didn't meet those criteria, and yet which I still enjoyed.

I never did get around to replying in that thread. But apparently a little-used part of my brain has been mulling it over ever since then, so when you posted the same question, this time I knew the answer immediately:

a cache with a page that doesn't give me false expectations.

More than once we've been at a cache that we weren't happy about, and we grumbled that it would have been okay if only the cache page hadn't promised a totally different experience. Other times we've been at caches that, while they certainly wouldn't make anyone's list of Best Caches Ever, we still had a good time at -- all due to the cache page letting us know what we were getting into.

The specifics don't matter: micro, small, regular; urban or woods; multi, puzzle, or traditional; short walk or long hike; nice swag or box-o-crap; stealth required or out in the middle of nowhere... any of these can be enjoyable as long as I'm not led to expect something else.

An easy cache is fine. A hard cache is fine. Just don't say that your cache is "a quick and easy find", and then leave that description in there even when half the logs are frustrated DNFs and the other half say it took three hours to find.

Caches can be enjoyable at scenic spots as well as everyday run-of-the-mill locations. Not every cache has to be in a postcard-worthy location -- just don't claim that a trash dump some sort of local hidden gem.

Each good cache has a different quality that makes it great. A brilliant hide, a creative container, revealing a new location/trail. Last night a friend and I did a 4500' elevation climb @ 30-40% slope in waist deep snow for a FTF. Good views, easy find - ok cache. On the way down we realized there was a cache nearby. We circled and circled in freezing weather trying to find this 'micro' in the woods (I hate those). After 20 minutes we opened our eyes and realized that one of the trees was a plastic christmas tree (the 'micro' was a film can). That just made my day.

If you want to highlight the historical features of this area I'd suggest making it an unknown/mystery cache and use a little bit of the history in the puzzle. As for the container maybe your could do something similar like hiding a plastic tree in a forest, but suited to your spot. If the container was large enough you could place some photos in the cache itself or on the cache page.

Please don't put micros in bushes .... easy way to get yourself killed.

thanks in advance!

~kim

Edited by cataclysmcow

For it to be a good cache, bring me some place interesting. It doesn't have to be a breathtaking view. It could be a quiet spot in the woods, an interesting historic site, a oddity of some sort, near a scenic pond or stream, or just a nice walk. Make it the kind of place I'd like to visit even of the cache wasn't there.

For a really memorable cache bring me some place interesting and make it a real challenge to get there. I've had the most fun on caches that take my out of my comfort zone. Make me walk through waist deep water, slog through a swamp, use all fours to climb, crawl through a narrow mine shaft or tunnel, or find my way across a roaring river.

Edited by briansnat

For me its all about location.

Take me somewhere (anywhere) interesting, historic, little known, out-of-the-way, scenic, wooded, flat, hilly, moutainous, special to you or with a story. Then tell me clearly why you brought me there. Keep me out of the trash dumps. The cache becomes a bonus after that - (though I admit a preference to caches with quality swag).

Include information about the history on the cache page, and also in the cache. A place may not seem interesting at first, but when you visit a site where something important once stood, or something noteworthy happened, it helps to know what you're supposed to be appreciating.

For my money, local history caches are the best caches there are, and I know I'm not alone on this.

Wow, you all have given some GREAT responses - ALL are greatly appreciated. I'm hesitant to post too much info, cuz I know there are lotz of cachers in my area who regularly haunt the forums.

I can GUARANTEE there will NEVER be a micro in a bush or bison tube hanging inside an evergreen tree. Got some of those out here and yes I know how the owner could get killed..... ;)

There will have to be more than one stage. The first stage is a historical marker that relates to a former underground railroad site. Marker is on private property but visible from the road. So I know I can take people to the marker and then will have to hide elsewhere. The thing is, I feel SO passionately about the abolitionist history of our area and the important role it played in the underground railroad that I want people to REALLY think about it and not just read the marker to get numbers and whoosh to the final. The final will not be in a location directly related to the Underground Railroad because I haven't found any suitable locations that aren't private property. So..... a.) how to relate the two places together and b.) MOST importantly how to really leave a lasting impression on cachers about the amazing people who were here.

~kim

ps - been mulling this one over and doing area research on this place/person for MONTHS

Many property owners are often agreeable to caches on their property as long as it's close to public access and notice to the fact that it is on private land is clearly stated at the cache and cache page. This owner might even be fascinated to learn of the history of their property. You might even want to contact your state's historical society who could possible act as a mediator for you or at least give you some support.

The only problem I see though is that Groundspeak very specifically states that caches may NEVER be placed on railroads :(

The final will not be in a location directly related to the Underground Railroad because I haven't found any suitable locations that aren't private property. So..... a.) how to relate the two places together and b.) MOST importantly how to really leave a lasting impression on cachers about the amazing people who were here.

you know, I had wondered how to go about contacting the property owners without just going up and knocking on their door. I would hate if someone did that to me. Never thought about contacting the historical society. Great idea if they could open the door for me. I've been to the marker and the property owners take great care of it and plant flowers around it, etc, so it's definitely not something they are unaware of or unhappy about having in their yard. If I ever get this project going, I will post the GC so y'all can see it.

Our local college has a Sojourner Truth training project whose mission is to gather info about the local UR/abolitionist history so i contacted them this morning for more help. I hope i didn't scare them with the talk of geocaching. maybe i'll invite them to cache with me.

you guys are funny with the subway, etc. - let's call it the U-Bahn.. hehehe

Our local college has a Sojourner Truth training project whose mission is to gather info about the local UR/abolitionist history so i contacted them this morning for more help. I hope i didn't scare them with the talk of geocaching. maybe i'll invite them to cache with me.

That's a good idea. You can probably set up a cache that is both fun and educational. Actually the fact that the underground railroad was active in Michigan is a surprise to me. I guess it makes sense as a route into Canada.

Wow, you all have given some GREAT responses - ALL are greatly appreciated. I'm hesitant to post too much info, cuz I know there are lotz of cachers in my area who regularly haunt the forums.

I can GUARANTEE there will NEVER be a micro in a bush or bison tube hanging inside an evergreen tree. Got some of those out here and yes I know how the owner could get killed..... :D

There will have to be more than one stage. The first stage is a historical marker that relates to a former underground railroad site. Marker is on private property but visible from the road. So I know I can take people to the marker and then will have to hide elsewhere. The thing is, I feel SO passionately about the abolitionist history of our area and the important role it played in the underground railroad that I want people to REALLY think about it and not just read the marker to get numbers and whoosh to the final. The final will not be in a location directly related to the Underground Railroad because I haven't found any suitable locations that aren't private property. So..... a.) how to relate the two places together and b.) MOST importantly how to really leave a lasting impression on cachers about the amazing people who were here.

~kim

ps - been mulling this one over and doing area research on this place/person for MONTHS

Just a quick note to thank you for your gift to the cachers that seek your hide. Although I think your question has been addressed very well by some cachers that obviously give their own hides a lot of thought. I'll just answer your question this way...

Do EXACTLY what you are doing. If you put this much thought and energy into your hide and can figure out a way to make this information available to the people seeking your cache, you've got the making of a great cache. Make it clear why you put this cache out and place the basic information about the cache available such as the time investment it will take, suggested safe parking, hours if any, up front before the history you provide on the cache page.

I am sure you've thought about this but a visit to your local historical society and obtaining a scan of an image that shows what this place once was, would really add to the experience. I'll make a suggestion for the use of this photo to you.. don't post the photo on the cache page, leave it in the final stage or near the place where the photo was originally taken. A photo is a great complement to your written research.

Have fun, feel free to move to Hawaii and put out as many caches as time allows. :(

PS: When you finish this cache.. would you please post a GC#? Thanks again for putting out a cache with a reason.

deep down at heart i think most people enjoy history! yeah don't get me wrong here but history plays a big role in most caches, even those micros splattered like paint drops from a sloppy painter.

the local caches are the actual history teachers. you just pick up so much that you didn't know about the locale in which you live.

then the "adventure" caches where you have to leave the area where you live and take that "small step where none have gone before"

they are the ones that jolt the senses awake with the spectacular views.

ain't it grand!?

Seems I just posted this answer on February 6 2008.

I hope you don't mind but I thought this Markwell post was good enough to reprint:

In my opinion, here are characteristics that make a cache a GOOD experience:

* A decent hike (>=0.25 miles) in a sparsely populated area

* Nifty little-known history

* Great scenery

* Unusual hide (suspended in a tree, on an island that you have to canoe to)

* Thought-provoking puzzle

* Cool camo or really neat container

* Long history of being at that spot (old cache that's been around for a long while)

* Good theme (and people are sticking to it)

Any one of these characteristics on a cache, and I'll think it's pretty cool. Combine a few, and it scores more points. But if it doesn't have a single one of those characteristics, I'll be asking myself why I was brought here. If I have to ask myself that, I would think the cache was disappointing.

----Markwell