Spelling

cownchicken

Tihs is my hlmbue oinpin on tihs vrey sneisvite mteatr - peoridvd the magesse gtes cmanemuictod, tehn who creas waht the sllnepg is lkie? Tehy say taht, as lnog as the fsrit and lsat lterets of a wrod are croecrt, it wlil be uoneorsdtd! So, if tihs psot mekas ssnee, tehn its pposure has been ahevcehd. So, clihl out - the mnaes is not as irptnamot as the end!

ellWay imagineway eway allway okespay igpay atinLay. Eishway atthay ouldway onfusecay ethay apcray outway ofway eoplepay owhay eakspay ormalnay Englishway.

ñ0 r34ll¥ wH4t ! 4m tr¥!ñg t0 $4¥ !$ tH4t ! tH!ñK !t !$ fuññ¥ tH4t tH3r3 !$ 4 wH0l3 g3ñ3r4t!0ñ 0f p30pl3 wH0 ju$t wr!t3 $m$. ! H4v3 3v3ñ $33ñ !t !ñ tH3 b4ñK$ wH3r3 ! w0rK. tH3¥ wr!t3 ñ0t3$ t0 tH3 m4ñ4g3r l!K3 tH4t. @ll $0rt$ 0f 4bbr3v!4t!0ñ$ 4ñd l3tt3r r3pl4©3m3ñt$. !t !$ $©4r¥. ! tH!ñK 0ñ3 d4¥ ¥0u m!gHt H4v3 $m$ 4$ 4 $ubj3©t 4t $©H00l. !f ¥0u tH!ñK 0f !t, !t !$ ju$t 4ñ0tH3r f0rm 0f $H0rtH4ñd.

Yes there are other things to worry about. But when a cache name is is spelt incorrectly it is really slack. Here in the Western Cape we seem to have a problem with height. We have: ... higest...........: and ...... hieghts. Just have the feeling that if you cannot even spell your cache name correctly, you didn't put much effort into the placement either.

Sorry to throw this cat between the pigeons erik88l-r, but there is no such thing as a spell checker, it is a Spelling checker. Spelling is used by people / geocachers, spells by Harry Potter.

(But you do know that for sure... :laughing: )

Edited by LeonW

Often I see official documents, minutes of meetings and the like, ridden with spelling errors. In my opinion it reflects poorly on the writers of those documents, thinking if something simple like spelling is not important, how important can the real issues be?

Bad spelling and grammar can be very irritating, but sometimes very amusing.

That said, all people (most cachers are people too) have different skills and talents, of which spelling might not be one. Bad spelling doesn't necessarily need to reflect on their other qualities.

The fact that caching is recreational also makes a difference, let people enjoy and not worry too much about spelling and grammar in a community whose mother tongue is quite often nót English.

To each his own.

Aren't you glad your cache reviewer takes the initiative to correct the spelling errors he sees?

Thanks Erik, it's appreciated that you do!

:laughing: In this part of the world, colour is really spelt like that, same with those koastle caches near harbours. ;)

Jors

If you ever have the opportunity to read a matric essay in English writing produced under the new outcomes based education system.... be prepared for a coronary!

Spanglish and other SMS-ish's and -ish's are the new form of English it seems.

But... it's still harbour and organise like the Queen demanded :laughing::anicute:

As for practise and practice.... some just fall away and are forgotten ;) those beloved words we had hammered into us at school and there was hell to pay if you got it wrong. :P

Not so sure about "koastle" though Jors :laughing:

Being a high school teacher, I see how the sms- & chatroom-language is affecting our youngsters' spelling ability every day.

Students get away with bad spelling in most subjects (except languages), but boy it stands out like a big bad blotch. They are not allowed short forms for words in their writing though.

Whenever I read any text, be it students' research reports, CV's, colleagues' notices or geocaching logs, a spelling mistake is usually the first thing I notice. It's a pity, though a fact, that bad spelling does weaken my impression about a piece of writing and the writer.

Cachers surely know, by the time they reach adulthood, whether they spell well or not, so whether one uses sms language or UK English, it should simply be read through at least once before posted.

Then again, every cacher does not have (or have to have) a high IQ or perfect language skills to love caching, so I'd be a little more open-minded to those creepy-crawlies showing face here and there... :D

All this being said, come on people, short form is really not that bad!! :D

I'm all for change... our youngsters are using short forms on the Internet and in sms-ing all the time. Let's not judge them just because we come from another generation.

Isn't TFTC, UTOPOR, FTF, TNLTSL etc. also then not to be used? :laughing:

Veering away from the subject slightly. Has anyone noticed how often you hear the word "basically" being used nowadays? A few years ago the word of the year was 'like" - coz you like knew when like it was the like right time to like use the word like!! Now, basically, we say basically when we basically don't know what else to say, basically!!

Veering away from the subject slightly. Has anyone noticed how often you hear the word "basically" being used nowadays? A few years ago the word of the year was 'like" - coz you like knew when like it was the like right time to like use the word like!! Now, basically, we say basically when we basically don't know what else to say, basically!!

Try Ireland most people use the word 'wee' as in small, in every sentence so many times they dont even know they are saying it

My spelling sucks, but then again English is my 3rd language (not that I spell much better in the other two languages either).

But Firefox supports spell checking in ALL input boxes if you enable it with an addon. And best of all it supports most languages, including English, Afrikaans, and Zulu.

Download Firefox, it is better then IE, and much, much faster, although it does use more memory.

Firefox supports many plugins and the spell checking plugin can be downloaded from:

http://en.design-noir.de/mozilla/dictionary-switcher/

The Afrikaans Spell checker can be downloaded from (with all the other 11 languages):

http://translate.org.za/content/view/1610/54/

Home page:

http://www.translate.org.za/

Thanks Anton... I needed that the other day with the Tonteldoos translations. But apparently I can translate quite well actually and that for a "Rou Soutie" all the way from England. Thanks guys!

Next on the cards will be caches in the other 9 languages... Who knows?