Documentation List by Users

Ranger Fox

I will use this topic to keep a list of all user-created documentation materials so that people can find the links quickly. If anyone else posts how-to, documentation, wiki, or other information on an external site about creating cartridges, please post some information here. I will leave the topic open so others can contribute, but please keep it clean so that people can quickly find the documentation links.

I am beginning this topic with two sources:

Getting started with Builder for Wherigo by smthng : http://www.smthng.info/Builder/

This is a step-by-step guide that will show you how to create a cartridge. It includes screen shots.

WherigoBuilder by twolpert : http://wherigobuilder.wikispaces.com/

An open wiki for people to contribute.

Edited by Ranger Fox

TOSY has some documentation for our Japanese friends. The link will take you to his blog, which is where the documentation is stored.

http://tosygeocaching.blog117.fc2.com/blog-entry-56.html

The complete list can be found in his forum entry:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3383360

This is part of the following topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3383590

Thank you, TOSY.

Anybody, please? At the moment, I don't know any resource that covers the Wherigo objects with their methods/functions. Looking at some other Wherigos (such as Whack-a-lackey) helps, but nonetheless I would be very grateful for an overview of everything that's available.

Thanks in advance!

I asked twolpert about this. I hope he replies. I don't mind offering whatever assistance he needs to get the wiki back up.

I did notice the wiki was down quite a while ago. I had been hoping Groundspeak and I could have had the Wherigo Foundation officially recognized by now, after which this was one of the matters I had planned to pursue.

I let the wiki die when Wikispaces eliminated paid subscriptions. I have absolutely no idea whether or not I can retrieve the content at this point even by paying a fee. When I get chance, I will see what I can find out. The material is extremely dated, though. A lot of it had to do with writing script manually. With the advent of much better development tools, I'm not sure how useful it would be. But I will check.

twolpert is able to access the Wikispaces content. I set up a MediaWiki server, but am having some difficulty getting the email functionality to work. I tried figuring it out last night, but without success. I found an article that said I had to copy something called "Pear" over, install that, and I could set up email. However, the Pear install kept having issues I wasn't able to resolve. I might just try to set up another wiki and see what happens, unless someone else is really good with MediaWiki and volunteers to help.

(Moderator note: I plan to split out this conversation into its own thread at a later date. I'm leaving it as part of this thread at the moment because we all know where it is.)

I thought MediaWiki was written in PHP? Anyway, I've had some issues in the past with installing Pear as well, it can be a real pain. No experience with MediaWiki itself though, but I'm willing to give it a try on my own server in case you lack the time! :)

Anybody, please? At the moment, I don't know any resource that covers the Wherigo objects with their methods/functions. Looking at some other Wherigos (such as Whack-a-lackey) helps, but nonetheless I would be very grateful for an overview of everything that's available.

Thanks in advance!

The wiki that Ranger Fox is reviving will be the reference of choice for lua programers. I am looking forward to have this lost reference available again.

We have a project on the Earwigo Wiki that describes the individual tabs of Earwigo. They should correspond with Wherigo objects. Have a look at the page to see if that helps you to get stated.

http://earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=edit_cartridges (WARNING work in progress, some links are only stubs, any help is welcome ;) )

And a BIG thank you does go to Vooruit! for kicking this off, installing and configuring the email, and, really, all wiki customization you see. I was only responsible for getting the server up, configuring the domain name, and doing the initial install. I just didn't have the time needed to figure things out. So Vooruit! deserves a lot of the credit. Thank you! Please stay on as wiki admin?

I'll try to participate more with the wiki this time around by adding some historical content that people might find interesting. The wiki won't just be technical documentation.

Edited by Ranger Fox
Closing a tag. Wasn't careful.

Yes, I'll definitely stay involved, you bet! And I thank you for letting me participate in what I hope will be a (the?) centre for everything related to Wherigo development.

When Twolpert's done loading the new Wiki, I trust that Ranger Fox will publish the link, and then: it's all up to the community (that means you!). We need your additions, corrections and suggestions!

Should we go over what's allowed in the wiki? Let's just say almost anything related to Wherigo: its history, information about the builders and players, code documentation, definitions, workarounds, code snippets (perhaps? I don't know where to put them), etc. I think the wiki would be more popular if it wasn't seen as solely a technical reference.

Let me offer an opinion as to something that I'd suggest leaving off the wiki: hacking. Same as the forum. I know it's possible to hack cartridges and, if you know what you're doing, see the source code. It's best if the information isn't available (because I worry this could deter the general public from creating cartridges in the first place--and we don't want that).

So, the differences I see between the wiki and the forum. The wiki will get you the facts and history. The forum will get you help, opinions, facts, and what it always has provided--everything. I can see someone asking a question in the forum and the answer be in the form of a link to the wiki.

Looks fine to me. Don't know if the forum supports it, but could this subforum (Building Wherigo Cartridges) have that topic stickied as well?

I've never tried that. I know I can move topics/posts and choose to leave a redirect in the subforum. I've never tried to sticky a redirect before.

Well, I'm game to try. If I succeed, I'll remove the sticky for this topic. It's my opinion there are too many stickied topics to the "Building" Wherigo subforum. I've considered creating a locked topic that can be used as an index for the other stickied topics, but that would mean some important answers might not be obvious to new people visiting the forum--people who need those questions answered.

Looks like I can't pin/sticky a moved topic. I'll leave the wiki topic in the "Building" subforum for now because Vooruit!'s suggestion made some sense. There's more activity in the "Building" forum than the "Getting Started" forum, so it's possible more people will see the wiki topic.

Some of the uses I thought about for the wiki would cross over into a knowledge base. However, knowledge base articles are typically submitted by preapproved parties, and this reduces the number of people who are able to participate in its creation. I'm leaning more towards open collaboration and participation, though I don't know how we're going to structure the how-to articles. Well, it would be boring if I had all the right answers ahead of time.