I hate when people do this

seaf20

Here's a thought, assuming the OP is still reading -

Change the cache to a Members Only cache. That way you can check the audit logs and see who has been looking at the cache page. It apepars that your concern is more about watching for thieves than keeping coins in the cache.

This way, you don't restrict movement and you can still "watch" people to try and keep the cache safe.

In the end, everything we set out (caches, trade items, travelers, etc.) have the possibility of going missing and that's a risk that we all take.

What we don't need are additional rules limiting the travelers movement's while they are still "alive".

Food for thought.

It's absolutely fine for any cache owner to make rules for his or her own cache but it is not okay to subject other peoples travelers (geocoins and travel bugs) to those rules.

Geocoins and Travel Bugs are "free spirits" travelling from cache to cache with their own separate sets of rules and missions. It is not an option for any cache owner to place them under his or her own personal set of cache rules. These travellers are just passing through.

, i know most cachers carry multiple coins so that's no problem because whoever comes to my cache probably has a coin to trade

I think that is an erroneous assumption. Not everyone carries them around. If I were to guess I'd say that the majority don't.

I personally enjoy finding travelers in caches and I do get a bit disappointed when a cache lists a coin or TB and it is not in the cache when I get there. I don't generally trade swag, but I will take a coin or TB from a cache (and I usually don't leave anything in its place unless I happen to have another traveler at the time to be dropped off.)

I don't know about other areas, but in my area, it is very rare to find traveling coins in a geocache. Maybe 1 in 10 caches will have a TB, and maybe 1 in 50 will have a coin. So I think it is an assumption to think that most cachers always have coins to trade when they go to find a cache.

**When I mention coins, I mean activated traveling coins owned by somene else. (The only unactivated "swag" coin I ever found in a cache was a geocoin fairy coin)

i'm a little confused. when we started caching it didn't take long for us to become addicted to travelers. we had several long-time cachers advise us not to take tb's from caches unless we had tb's to replace. they said it would give us a bad reputation to do that regularly.

now i don't know how to feel about it. i have a tb hotel that i hope is not considered a prison. i never knew about tb prisons until now - an aspect of the forums i'd not learned of. i don't mind at all if someone comes and takes a bunch of the travelers in the cache, but i guess i do feel a little annoyed if nobody ever leaves anything. we spend a lot of time trading trackables in caches and so if all are taken from our cache we have nothing to trade with.

we don't want trackables to get stuck in our tb hotel, so we never say anything if someone doesn't trade evenly or trade at all. I think our description says we prefer even trading but that we aren't picky because we mostly want them to get to move along.

we honestly don't want to get a bad rep for imprisoning trackables and we also don't want to get a bad rep for retrieving trackables from other caches without trading evenly. i'm soooooo confused. someone gently help me out here?

i'm a little confused. when we started caching it didn't take long for us to become addicted to travelers. we had several long-time cachers advise us not to take tb's from caches unless we had tb's to replace. they said it would give us a bad reputation to do that regularly.

now i don't know how to feel about it. i have a tb hotel that i hope is not considered a prison. i never knew about tb prisons until now - an aspect of the forums i'd not learned of. i don't mind at all if someone comes and takes a bunch of the travelers in the cache, but i guess i do feel a little annoyed if nobody ever leaves anything. we spend a lot of time trading trackables in caches and so if all are taken from our cache we have nothing to trade with.

we don't want trackables to get stuck in our tb hotel, so we never say anything if someone doesn't trade evenly or trade at all. I think our description says we prefer even trading but that we aren't picky because we mostly want them to get to move along.

we honestly don't want to get a bad rep for imprisoning trackables and we also don't want to get a bad rep for retrieving trackables from other caches without trading evenly. i'm soooooo confused. someone gently help me out here?

I'll email you tomorrow Kim...but don't sweat it!

Not sure what Roddy is planning to tell you off line but I can tell you this much.

When it comes to hotels this is it.

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Your cache listing is fine.

If you're concerned about taking more than one bug contact that bug owner and ask them if it's okay to move it. If the cache owner disagrees refer them to the bug owner. ;)

Edited by BlueDeuce

IMO, geocoins are the same as travel bugs, that is why they have tracking numbers, at least that is what was intended for them. Now they have become collectable and are rarely put into a cache anymore. It appears that most geocoins are now just traded at events or sold, then there is a practice of discovering a coin.

Having a cache that reqiures someone to leave a coin in order to take one is fine, but some cachers do not read the entire cache page, so they may not know what the rules are for a cache. Then there are some cachers that just load the coordinates into a GPS and take their chances without any notes or hints.

maybe a cache name like (Geocion exchange) would help.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

IMO, geocoins are the same as travel bugs, that is why they have tracking numbers, at least that is what was intended for them. Now they have become collectable and are rarely put into cache anymore.

Having a cache that reqiures someone to leave a coin in order to take one is fine, but some cachers do not read the entire cache page, so they may not know what the rules are for a cache. Then there are some cachers that just load the coordinates into a GPS and take their chances without any notes or hints.

Not fine if it's MY coin sitting in the cache for months on end because no one will visit the cache or because no one takes it as they have no trade. It's being held prisoner and that's just not fair to the owner of the traveler! A very smart person clued me in on this after being shown all wrong from the beginning.

Not OT, but my experience:

I don't even bother with TBs or coins because of the hassles involved now. Many TBs/coins are put out w/o any instruction as to mission or direction it's going included with the traveler...when I come to a cache with TBs, I just leave them be unless it's obvious to me the travelers have been there too long. If I were to pick up a TB/coin and move it w/o bringing up the traveler's page, I might irk the owner by taking it the wrong direction. Anymore, it's a lose/lose situation and it has taken all the fun from TBs/coins for me...so no more moving them (even though I had been high up on the trader list myself at one time). Also, if I visit a cache and drop the traveler off and it sits there, I feel guilty (even if it's just a regular cache).

My coins are to travel...I might put missions on them and HOPE they make it to their destination (and some actually do), but I'm not going to get upset about the coins going the wrong way either (as has happened to one of my MICHIGAN coins which is now traveling other states). I just want to see them travel and read the stories. This isn't the case with some and some really take their travelers too serious. Just as the traveler might get lost, it might be taken the wrong way...deal with it, get over it, be glad it IS moving and enjoy the extended tour!

I am guilty of not putting missions on our coins or TB's. I am not a traveler so I send coins and TB's and I do my traveling through them. When I first started geocaching the saying was live life through inanimate objects which is why I send them out. My travelers have been to places I have never heard of, been to places I have dreamed about, met a lot of really nice people. I don't want to limit the experience they can have by putting a mission on them. I do place on the pages just go from cache to cache to see all that I can.

I am guilty of not putting missions on our coins or TB's. I am not a traveler so I send coins and TB's and I do my traveling through them. When I first started geocaching the saying was live life through inanimate objects which is why I send them out. My travelers have been to places I have never heard of, been to places I have dreamed about, met a lot of really nice people. I don't want to limit the experience they can have by putting a mission on them. I do place on the pages just go from cache to cache to see all that I can.

This is fine and not what I meant with my comment!! It's when there IS a mission for that item, but no information is included with the item (a slip of paper, a SMALL laminated card etc) letting people know it's mission. Some check each item's mission before even visiting the cache and taking the item, sometimes the item is placed while a visitor is enroute.

Actually, not having a set mission is likely the best way to send a coin out! If I do drop another coin, it won't have a set goal at all so everyone can enjoy the traveler!!

For those who are confused, let's clear it up for you. If there is a travel bug, or 10, in the cache, and you can help them move, but don't have a TB to drop, take the ones you want to take, or that you can help move along, and don't forget to log them. Nobody says we have to take them all, but we can certainly free the ones that have been sitting too long. You don't have to leave something in its place. If you take a trade item (swag, trinket, stuff, goodies) from the cache then trade even, trade up or don't trade at all.

If some TB "hotel" cache owner gives you guff for taking more than one bug or not trading a bug for a bug, refer them to the logging instructions posted at the top of this forum, or this thread, or any past thread about TB hotels that have prison rules. The general consensus among the community has been the same all along.

If they weren't meant to travel, they wouldn't be called Travel Bugs, they would be Stalled Bugs, Stuck Bugs, or Prisoner Bugs. :(

They are a game within a game, and belong to the bug owner, not the cache owner, and no restrictions should be put on them unless the person placing those rules is the bug's owner.

IMO, geocoins are the same as travel bugs, that is why they have tracking numbers, at least that is what was intended for them. Now they have become collectable and are rarely put into cache anymore.

Not fine if it's MY coin sitting in the cache for months on end because no one will visit the cache or because no one takes it as they have no trade. It's being held prisoner and that's just not fair to the owner of the traveler! A very smart person clued me in on this after being shown all wrong from the beginning.

I don't even bother with TBs or coins because of the hassles involved now. Many TBs/coins are put out w/o any instruction as to mission or direction it's going included with the traveler...when I come to a cache with TBs, I just leave them be unless it's obvious to me the travelers have been there too long. If I were to pick up a TB/coin and move it w/o bringing up the traveler's page, I might irk the owner by taking it the wrong direction. Anymore, it's a lose/lose situation and it has taken all the fun from TBs/coins for me...so no more moving them (even though I had been high up on the trader list myself at one time). Also, if I visit a cache and drop the traveler off and it sits there, I feel guilty (even if it's just a regular cache).

My coins are to travel...I might put missions on them and HOPE they make it to their destination (and some actually do), but I'm not going to get upset about the coins going the wrong way either (as has happened to one of my MICHIGAN coins which is now traveling other states). I just want to see them travel and read the stories. This isn't the case with some and some really take their travelers too serious. Just as the traveler might get lost, it might be taken the wrong way...deal with it, get over it, be glad it IS moving and enjoy the extended tour!

Gotcher coin right down here in Florida! Just picked it up this morning! Nice big ol' travel bug page explaining it's mission - "please keep me in Michigan". Ha ha! Guess some folks don't even read the goals when they're right in front of their faces!

Oh, well, I'll keep it moving anyway (though no where near Michigan - too dang cold outside of Florida)!

It seems that this cache owner doesn't know much about how to properly play this game. It seems that he has now removed the cache entirely, and when cachers show up to look for it he tells them that they can log a find if they can figure out where it WAS hidden. Instead of just disabling the listing.

Gotcher coin right down here in Florida! Just picked it up this morning! Nice big ol' travel bug page explaining it's mission - "please keep me in Michigan". Ha ha! Guess some folks don't even read the goals when they're right in front of their faces!

Oh, well, I'll keep it moving anyway (though no where near Michigan - too dang cold outside of Florida)!

I saw you picked it up mommyfinder, glad it's down there warm with you as it's too cold here! :laughing: The guy read the mission, he just flat out disregarded it as is evidenced by his log. No biggie, I'm glad to see it travel...would have been nice to see it reach some of my friends here though! Oh well, found you, gotta love that!! ;)

2) I DO NOT control the TB or COINS but I do control MY cache and I apply rules (if i shouldn't have listed it as a "traditional" cache then, my bad and i will fix it but to my understanding a regular container with a log, and trading items is a traditional cache)

My opinion is that a cache owner can SUGGEST or REQUEST that people swap TBs and coins, but I think it wrong to REQUIRE it.

Think about it from another angle: if you REQUIRE that people only take a TB/coin from your cache if they leave one, then your cache will only ever contain ONE TB/coin at a time (unless you, yourself, drop more into the cache, in which case your cache becomes a Prison).

Regards

Now my 2 cents worth :) ....

If I ever read a cache page like that I would visit it and take everything out just for spite <_< lol they are meant to be moved not held hostage...Do you even know how crazy that sounds? Think you need to reread your own posts :D Like someone already said get a new hobby one that you have more control over...

hope your not that controling over your women :P:)

OK I'm done :D