Dell Axim X5

TheCollector

I recently got a Dell Axim X5 from a friend who just didnt want it and was going to throw it away so i took it. I have to get a power cord for it to get it working and connect it to my PC. I was wondering how to set up listings on it. I know that there is programs like cachemate out there but im still confused on how to run them. I was wondering if anyone else used a X5 (not the new X50) and if it was good for caching. Also was wondering since its a Pocket PC if it would run Wherigo programs on it?

That unit will work fine for paperless caching. You may have to buy a new battery for it if that one has been down for a while. Search around - they are pretty cheap.

I would suggest using GPXView or GPX Sonar (both free). All you have to do is synch the GPX file from a a Pocket Query over to the unit and then open it with one of the suggested programs. Don't try and make it any harder than that. Just run the setup for those programs from your PC while the unit is connected and it will be installed fine.

You can also write a GPX file to a memory card and just insert the card into the Axim to get on the PPC.

To use the Axim as a Wherigo unit, you will need to purchase a GPS card for it. I know several models used to be out there. I am not sure if anyone has actually got a Wherigo cartidge running on that unit - might look over at the Wherigo forums.

I use an X5 and Cachemate for paperless caching and I have no problems. Installed the application on the Dell, copied over a GPX file from my Pocket Query and then imported it into Cachemate and away I went.\

It works great and being an older unit it doesn't hurt as much when you accidentally bounce it off a rock like I did with my X51.

This is interesting to me as I have a Del Axim X50. Of course, I haven't used it in a while as I got doing other things to be organized (didn't help that the battery died and that I've lost all the software and my contacts through a computer crash).

So, I'm curious how this works. You aren't using these as the GPS, right? Rather an organizer and such? If someone could explain or point me to somewhere that shows how using an Axim on these hunts would be beneficial, I'd appreciate it!

This is interesting to me as I have a Del Axim X50. Of course, I haven't used it in a while as I got doing other things to be organized (didn't help that the battery died and that I've lost all the software and my contacts through a computer crash).

So, I'm curious how this works. You aren't using these as the GPS, right? Rather an organizer and such? If someone could explain or point me to somewhere that shows how using an Axim on these hunts would be beneficial, I'd appreciate it!

paperless caching - no need to printout the cache listing details to carry with you.

With a PDA you can carry the details on literally thousands of caches. It even looks very much like the online listings do.

You need to become a premium member for just $30 per year and make use of Pocket Queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Cachemate is about the best way to go on a PPC such as the Axim. I have every active cache in the state (about 8000) on a Toshiba e740 with the full descriptions, including pictures, and all logs since June '07. I've experimented with using a plug in GPS that works pretty well. Keeping that many records up to date isn't reasonable because it take too long to transfer. If you keep the number of records down to a few dozen, the transfer only takes a few seconds and Cachemate does searches and sorts very quickly.

The nice big screen on a PPC is a big plus over a standard hand held GPSr. The biggest problem with using a E740 as a GPSr is that it's a little bulky to carry in your hand. The Axim might be better. I keep the PPC in my pocket and use my Garmin or Delorme until I need a hint.

Cachemate, spoilersync are fully integated. Be a premium member in geocaching to create the PQ and imported into your PDA, you will be paperless geocaching ready. buy a BT GPSr. It will convert your PPC an outdoor GPS. If with Garmin 10 purchased. installed mobile xt. Then the whole North American detailed map with you. YOUR PPC become a car navigation and outdoor GPS.

I guess I'm more curious how this all works? I'd be willing to pay for a thing or two if I understood exactly what it does etc.

So if I have cachemate and all, what exactly does it do and how do I put things on there etc.

CacheMate and other applications like Plucker or iSilo allow you to put almost all the cache information from the cache page in your PDA (in either a text format or HTML format).

Some people (like me) prefer the HTML look and feel of something like iSilo or Plucker, but admittedly CacheMate is probably the easiest to use (although the others are not hard).

Simply get a Pocket Query from the site, and then open the GPX file in CacheMate. Sync your PDA and viola.

I became a premium member. I also went and got cachemate and put it on my PDA. However, I can't figure out how the heck to get it working right. All I wanted to do was try one to see how it looks on the computer and all.

Can someone explain what the heck I need to do to:

- Get a program on my PDA.

- How to open the GPX file with said program (like I said, CacheMate is already installed...)

I'm not opposed to putting another program on there, if needed. Thanks.

I became a premium member. I also went and got cachemate and put it on my PDA. However, I can't figure out how the heck to get it working right. All I wanted to do was try one to see how it looks on the computer and all.

- How to open the GPX file with said program (like I said, CacheMate is already installed...)

What kind of PDA?

What kind of PDA?

Axim X50.

If the Dell Axims mentioned above have the Windows mobile 2003SE operating system or later, you could use Backcountry Navigator. It costs 30 dollars. Backcountry Navigator and handles geocaching files well. But the big deal it that you can download all the free topographic and aerial photos you want for free.

If you plunk down an extra 50 bucks or so you could get a GPS receiver that works with Backcountry Navigator and places your location on the maps, record tracks, ect.

To find your operating system on the Axim:

go to the "Start Menu"

then "Settings"

then "System"

then " System Information"

There is a great site devoted to the Dell Axims at Aximsite

Information on Backcountry Navigator can be found HERE

GPS receivers for PDAs can be found HERE