Wherigo builder on mac

benh57

Since Wherigo builder is just a .NET assembly, it actually runs on Mac OS X using mono.

However, it gives an error immediately since it is looking for some windows-specific paths, so it is not actually usable.

If Groundspeak are interested, you could get it running under the windows build of Mono:

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

then it would run identically on mac.

it would be pretty cool to have it cross platform!

-Ben

folks, when Earwigo is ready, you'll forget about linux/mac versions of the official Builder ;e)

How will I know when it's ready? :(

By the way, I released v0.1 of the functionality to import an existing Lua file today. Once that's debugged (that would be... everybody else's job, bwahahaha), it should provide a migration path for existing cartridges.

Yes! Folks at Groundspeak: please make the builder cross-platform. Shouldn't be too much effort with mono.

When the builder runs on mac, I'll start with Wherigo.

You can start today with Earwigo - see its pinned post elsewhere in this forum. It will also let you work on the same cartridge during a quiet moment on your Windows PC at work. :D

I think I heard rumours of a Java-based emulator being in the works. Or, maybe someone can adapt OpenWiG/WhereYouGo to allow you to move the player by hand. <whistles in the hope that matejcik will show up>

For local testing with an Earwigo-built cartridge you can use the alternate start point or Play Anywhere, but you do still have to pick up a device and walk outside, which for a long debugging session can be many kilometres.

Well there's OpenWIG for desktop, which is very functional and very available for download from openwig.googlecode.com

But to use it as an emulator, one has to jump through some hoops - either tediously enter coordinates by hand, or use a simulated GPS source linked to a map.

(after all, DesktopWIG is supposed to be an actual player for people with smartbooks, so turning it into an emulator would basically make it an instant cheating device.)

there were talks with YourSelf (URWIGO's creator) of integrating desktopwig as an emulator into it, but that effort is somewhat stalled now. i guess i wouldn't be conceptually against building some kind of map source directly into desktopwig, but then i'd have to modify it so that it can't pass the emulator tests, which would entail learning about how those work, etc .e)

i guess i wouldn't be conceptually against building some kind of map source directly into desktopwig, but then i'd have to modify it so that it can't pass the emulator tests, which would entail learning about how those work, etc .e)

If you can give me the DeviceID string, I can make Earwigo's no-emulator compatible with it. It could probably just about be made to work with existing no-emulator cartridges too.

I recently completed my first Wherigo cache and it was so fun that i decided to build my own- problem is, I've tried everything and the builder won't work on my MAC OS X. HELP!

See the pinned threads about alternative builders.

I am using Earwigo and finding it very easy to use. The problem is that this is my first Wherigo, so I am sure there is going to be lots of debugging needed, and I cannot test out the cartridge because I am a Mac user so cannot run the Wherigo emulator. Does anybody know anyone who has tried running the emulator using Wine on their Mac?