Should I buy a GPS?

ssgeo83

Someone recently accepted the offer to sell me his Garmin etrex vista cx (not hcx) for $150 plus shipping and it includes the topographical map (was $175 plus shipping).

He purchased it about a year and a half ago at GPS Now (gpsnow.com) and recently upgraded to the Garmin Colorado.

It may be hard for me to find this good of a deal in the future.

I've been going back and forth on whether I want to spend the money on a GPS. I know that a GPS is not necessary for some caches. I've found some coordinate caches without a GPS.

How helpful is a GPS in finding caches? Is it worth it? Should I just copy and paste the coordinates onto google maps instead?

Edited by ssgeo83

That's not a spectacular deal. If Topo is the updated 2008 version, I may see it as a bit better buy, but still, not a great deal.

If you're not a hiker and not very serious about geocaching, I'd skip it and a basic Etrex H for $90.

Why not? Completed listings on eBay sells for more than that without the topo map. How much should I be paying?

How helpful is a GPS in finding caches? Is it worth it? Should I just copy and paste the coordinates onto google maps instead?

This is like asking a congregation if God exists. :anibad:

Everyone here is going to say a GPSr is necessary, but some people enjoy the challenge of a hunt without GPSr. In my limited experience they don't get too involved in Geocaching before losing interest though.

If you're not sure I would carry on as you are until you are sure, as this sounds like an offer you can refuse. If you do buy, then buy an H-Series Garmin as minimum spec. It's no more expensive. You'll also get a warranty.

If you're not that certain about it I would consider getting a lower cost unit as a "trial" and if you stick with it then upgrade down the road. You can get a Magellan 210 at Walmart for under $100 ($59 in my area). Act fast, however, because they are closing them out and the stock won't last long. For $59 you'll get a decent unit that will work for geocaching without making a serious financial investment.

That's not a spectacular deal. If Topo is the updated 2008 version, I may see it as a bit better buy, but still, not a great deal.

If you're not a hiker and not very serious about geocaching, I'd skip it and a basic Etrex H for $90.

Why not? Completed listings on eBay sells for more than that without the topo map. How much should I be paying?

I take it back - a little, it's a better deal than I initially thought. I see the Cx and HCx are both listed at $321. The HCx today actually sells for about $235. So, for $85, you give up the more sensitive receiver and a faster processor (I have a Venture Cx and the processor is noticeably slower than my Vista HCx.) Plus, you get the Topo maps, which I suspect are not Topo 2008, but still better to have it than not.