Am I the first for a "find" of this type?

VagabondsWV

In the category of unusual finds I had one on my last outing. While attempting to locate a buried BM (which BTW I did not find) with a metal detector I got a hit that turned out to be a GPSr unit (a Delorme Earthmate). It was buried about 3" below ground and apparently had been there quite some time as the grass was thick in the area. I thought, while looking for something using a GPSr I actually find a GPSr, that is just beyond unusual. Now if I could just find that benchmark..........

I am wondering what is the most unusal items found (or seen) at benchmark sites that others have experienced.

932fa2ff-fb56-4151-a035-179d4f1e41ff.jpg

VagabonsWV

We weren't so lucky to find a GPSr, but we did find a metal man silhouette. We have seen these in the shape of a cowboy and cowgirl as well as a few different animals, but this is a 1st for us.

78296c67-9589-4735-84a5-36cdbb035b35.jpg

b4937ce8-84e7-472c-b111-1f7f3c4062fc.jpg

A metal silhouette of a surveyor in front of a BLM National Monument visitors center.

If GC still had locationless caches, we would set one up for this. :anibad:

John

.. while looking for something using a GPSr I actually find a GPSr, that is just beyond unusual...

Chuckled when I saw this thread - what are the odds? :)<_<

I'd say that's a real first!

I am wondering what is the most unusal items found (or seen) at benchmark sites that others have experienced.

Recovered these old milk bottles while looking for benchmarks along the Potomac.

All three were found at different benchmark sites, but from the same dairy.

Chestnut Farms - Chevy Chase Dairy - Washington, D.C. (Circa 1925 - 1940)

These have an interesting 'bulge' for the cream, obviously a quality control measure.

Sorry about the lousy photos, it's the best I can do with clear glass.

Cream Top - Front of Bottles

2rm2kir.jpg

Safe Milk For Babies! - Reverse

wtdhfl.jpg

Anybody old enough to remember these?

~ Mitch ~

Yep!!! I remember those, delivered by the milkman in Buffalo, NY! The milk in those was non-homogenized, so that the heavy cream ended up on top in the little bulgy section. A couple teaspoons of that stuff in a cup of weak coffee was a huge treat for me as a kid (maybe 10 or so?). If you shook it up real good, you got whole milk. Pour off the cream carefully, and you got skim milk in the bottom. Loved it!

P.S. In the winter, if you didn't get the bottles in quick enough, they would freeze & pop off the paper tops (the glass wouldn't crack), then the half frozen cream would stick up like a volcano, and wow! Great "ice cream"!

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Yep!!! I remember those, delivered by the milkman in Buffalo, NY! The milk in those was non-homogenized, so that the heavy cream ended up on top in the little bulgy section. A couple teaspoons of that stuff in a cup of weak coffee was a huge treat for me as a kid (maybe 10 or so?). If you shook it up real good, you got whole milk. Pour off the cream carefully, and you got skim milk in the bottom. Loved it!

P.S. In the winter, if you didn't get the bottles in quick enough, they would freeze & pop off the paper tops (the glass wouldn't crack), then the half frozen cream would stick up like a volcano, and wow! Great "ice cream"!

<_< - Are you "that" old? :)

It must have been a local thing and the actor's home territory, to have gotten his name. We remember seeing the "Milk being delivered in the white vans" but, only regular glass bottles.

I also found a small milk bottle while looking for a benchmark but not as cool as those three!

And like a few others here I recall milk deliveries in bottles in the 1960s in Harrisburg, PA. Milk was homogenized by then so the cream did not rise to the top, but in winter it WOULD freeze and pop the top off.

Lately, as I attempt to eat more whole foods, I have been drinking raw whole milk and have had the pleasure of seeing, and taking a sip of, the cream on the top of the bottle once I open it (sometimes I just can't resist).

Yup. Milk delivery in the early 50's. Northwest New Jersey. My father had a syphon to extract the cream from the top of the bottle. But, we never had bottles like those. In the summer, we vacationed in uptsate New York. We got milk from a local farmer. Of course, we also had an ice box, with twice weekly ice delivery. Kerosene lamps. We finally got electricity in the late 50's (upstate, that is) with the Rural Electrification Act. When the iceman stopped delivering, my aunt went for a propane refrigerator!