Garmin Colorado, Ready for Prime Time?

knowschad

I'd love to hear only from Colorado users that have actually used it for geocaching. It sounds as the the recent software upgrade helped a lot of issues, but I'm also seeing things about reboots, missing abilities (waypoint averaging concerns me the most in this area), and confusing functionality.

I'm presently using a Legend CSx. I love the idea of a GPS that lets me go paperless without carrying and maintaining another piece of hardware. I also relish the concept of profiles, and the increased screen resoution is frosting on the cake. But the mixed messages that I'm reading here have my head spinning. That's a lot of money to dish out to be a beta tester that wishes he had his old CSx with him instead. Will I regret it, or will I be thrilled?

For paperless caching, it works great. Being able to send individual caches direct to the unit from the geocaching.com site is a nice touch, and the pocket queries work fine. Sure beats the heck out of carrying a handful of printouts -- I can view the hints and whatnot while on the path.

My wife, who couldn't find her way out of a paper bag, figured out the interface really quickly and actually found a few caches by herself the other day. She was able to use the hints and logs to figure out where to look. She could log the cache as found and see the next closest cache without going back to the map. I think that says something for their concept. Haven't been brave enough to let her upload and update the logs on the PC yet.

My only major gripe with the 2.4 firmware and caching is the fact it doesn't autozoom when you view the map on the whole screen, and sometimes the arrow pointer gets confused and points the wrong way. Its been suggested that more frequent compass calibrations might fix the arrow issue, but the autozoom is a big deal for me. I want to see my location and the cache on the screen at the same time, and as I get closer I want the map to zoom in to the appropriate scale. So far this only works when you have the cache header displayed at the top of the screen.

She could log the cache as found and see the next closest cache without going back to the map.

One of my major gripes with my HCx (and my Cx, and my Blue Legend before that) is that marking a cache as found does not prevent it from showing up if I select Find Next Cache (I'm not referrring to the option that shows immediately after the Found It option, but the more generic Find Next Nearest option). Its always been my opinion that Found It needs to put the cache into a totally separate "folder" that shoud NOT show up unless I chose to look at those files. Is the Colorado any better in isolating Found caches from Not Found caches?

She could log the cache as found and see the next closest cache without going back to the map.

One of my major gripes with my HCx (and my Cx, and my Blue Legend before that) is that marking a cache as found does not prevent it from showing up if I select Find Next Cache (I'm not referrring to the option that shows immediately after the Found It option, but the more generic Find Next Nearest option). Its always been my opinion that Found It needs to put the cache into a totally separate "folder" that shoud NOT show up unless I chose to look at those files. Is the Colorado any better in isolating Found caches from Not Found caches?

Yes. It puts the caches in the found area. If you go back to the main 'Geocache' shortcut the found cache is gone and the next closest one is at the top of the list. The left soft key will have an entry to view found caches when you are looking at the list. Not sure what it does if you log a DNF or other option though. Don't have my Colorado handy right now to check.

Log them as found or DNF and they are gone. They don't show up on the "Next Nearest". The way that we cache, I would like a "delete" choice. I just download a PQ with 15 - 70 caches then go for them. If I decide not to look for one I would like to delete it from the list so that it doesn't show as the nearest.

I love the CO 300. I have 2 60CSx's. Anyone want to buy one?

I have had my Colorado for almost a month now. At the beginning it was a frustrating experience with lots of lock ups and features that just did not work right.

I have been using it after the recent software and firmware updates and I can honestly say that the more I use it the more I like it. All of the cache information is right there and quickly accessible. Lock ups are few now but every now and then you get one. That aside, the units features are more than making up for that.

It's accurate and stands right there with the 60CSx (I have one of those too and have been leaving it in the vehicle the last several days.

The logging feature while different from the 60 CSx is very nice and the go to next nearest works like a charm. I do hope they tie the logging feature to the calendar. I just like it that way.

Battery life while not as good as the 60 CSx is certainly acceptable. With the backlight on I get a day of caching in with no problems.

With the next upgrade we should see the Profiles and Map assignments worked out.

As I said, the more I use it the more I like it. It is not a 60 CSx, but in quite a few ways it is better and in most ways just as good or better.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Log them as found or DNF and they are gone. They don't show up on the "Next Nearest". The way that we cache, I would like a "delete" choice. I just download a PQ with 15 - 70 caches then go for them. If I decide not to look for one I would like to delete it from the list so that it doesn't show as the nearest.

I love the CO 300. I have 2 60CSx's. Anyone want to buy one?

How much are you looking to get for a 60Csx? I am interested in purchasing one.

Thanks