CacheNav for Geocaching?

sli23sli

Cachemate paperless software for PDA's includes a plugin called CacheNav that can be used with a PDA and GPSr (Bluetooth). I was wondering if anyone is using it for finding caches and how good is it. Sli23sli

I have it and have used it... However, I generally use GeoNiche instead for finding caches as it does a bunch of stuff CacheNav won't. But... I rarely use my palm for finding caches. Most of the time I use a real handheld GPS (and have my palm out with cachemate description info open instead).

BTW... if that bluetooth gps is tomtom's, you might as well give up now. It has a limitation that prevents you from doing much serious caching: if you drop below 2mph or so it stops updating the coordinates quickly (once every 30 seconds or so).

GeoNiche seems to be a Palm OS only software, is there anything similar for the WM5 OS?

Cachemate paperless software for PDA's includes a plugin called CacheNav that can be used with a PDA and GPSr (Bluetooth). I was wondering if anyone is using it for finding caches and how good is it. Sli23sli

I have it and have used it... However, I generally use GeoNiche instead for finding caches as it does a bunch of stuff CacheNav won't. But... I rarely use my palm for finding caches. Most of the time I use a real handheld GPS (and have my palm out with cachemate description info open instead).

BTW... if that bluetooth gps is tomtom's, you might as well give up now. It has a limitation that prevents you from doing much serious caching: if you drop below 2mph or so it stops updating the coordinates quickly (once every 30 seconds or so).

I never had this issue before... where did you find out about this? I'd like to look into it.

I use both Pathaway & Cachemate/Cachenav with a Palm TX. I usually use Pathaway with it's mapping capability when driving to get me within striking distance of the cache, and then Cachenav once I have reached Ground Zero. I find Cachenav is great, but I wouldn't depend heavily on that system in rough terrain or inclement/cold weather. I have a Magellan Explorist 210 as a backup since it's a lot more robust and the batteries are replaceable in the field. The Palm or similar isn't designed for the rigours of serious geocaching.