A sad day today...

pghlooking

What a long rough day today. The weather has been miserable for us who have to work outside in it. Few people realize what we go through in a day out there. We have been working long hours 6 days a week and spend our day off recouperating for the next work week.

Well today was about it. We all thought it was going to be an easy day till a few people called off sick and left us to pick up their work load. The mail has to be delivered. We are all at our wits end.

I came home about to lose it and needed to find a relief from the pain. I got out my coin albums and just started going through them and remember the joy they bring me. I even got some new ones in the mail. I got one today that was a complete gift and surprise. That brought me biggest amount of joy today. Thank you special friend for helping raise my happy meter just a little more.

It is amazing how much joy these can bring us.

I often think of you poor saps trudging through the wind and the rain and the hail and the sleet and the, well you get the picture.

So I am dropping you a coin in the mail tomorrow, look for it soon and I hope your carrier does not call in sick the day it is to be delivered.

Cheer up, it's not like you lost a kidney in Room 266 in New Orleans at Mardi Gras!!!!

Work got you down, a stressful day,

I'll send a coin out your way,

For you have a friend across this land

Who will cheer you up and lend a hand

Chin up buddy, start to smile,

Take a load off, for a while

The coin will reach you, it won't fail

Unless of course, it's lost in the mail.

:lol:

What a sad cause, I will mail you out a coin asap to lift your spirits.

Should arrive in 12 hours or less. <_<

I am starting to know how thr grinch felt when his heart started to grow. What a group of friends we all have here. Much too kind.

Hey Pghlooking, we never met, but if you drop me an email with your addy, I'll have something in the mail for you as well. After all, without guys like you, trading coins would be much harder. Thanks for the commitment!

I am starting to know how thr grinch felt when his heart started to grow. What a group of friends we all have here. Much too kind.

Hey Pghlooking, we never met, but if you drop me an email with your addy, I'll have something in the mail for you as well. After all, without guys like you, trading coins would be much harder. Thanks for the commitment!

The genorosity here never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for helping brighten up my day.

pghlooking, please know that getting mail is the highlight of my day! most people appreciate their mail carriers very much. i am glad you are on the receiving end for a while and know you are enjoying getting mail for a change from delivering it.

my family is originally from pennsylvania, but i couldn't live in an area an colder than where i am. it's 46' here today, and i'm freezing! probably because it is a damp cold down here. anyway, when you have a bad day, just remember how i get through them - "This, too, shall pass." Things could possibly get worse, but they definitely will eventually get better!!! That is for sure.

While I haven't actually delivered mail for the USPS, I've been a contract worker off and on for the last decade, working in IT on numerous projects to either help the customer or help the field workers. I'm always amazed at the vitriol that spews from the public when they want to vent about how their mail was slightly damp one day (you don't EVEN want to know the number of complaints per day that come through the USPS call centers from whiny folks <_< )

Even more amazing (especially given the fact that most non inquiry calls that come in are complaints vs compliments) is the daily email that is sent to all postal workers with snippets of USPS history and info on current initiatives...every day there is a section about some carrier going above and beyond the call of duty, mostly by checking to make sure one of their many customers is ok, usually resulting in the EMS finding some poor soul who was trapped in their house due to injury, and was rescued before it was too late due to the attentiveness of their postal carrier.

So, moral of the story, get to know your postal carrier, he or she may very well save your life in the future! :lol:

I worked a total of 6 weeks for a call center that was the customer service dept for UPS. 4 of the 8 weeks were the training:) After the last two weeks of hearing people call me every name in the book, I said to

$%@& with this place and left so I know how people can get when they don't get their mail when they think they should have it. More power to ya and I wish you easier days ahead. Thanks for helping to get our coins to us, but you can just trash any of our bills if you come across any, lol.

I think today is even worse. I get up and watch all the school closings and delays, but missed the USPS delay for the weather. Talk about Mother Nature pouring it on us. Well back to the grind in 20 degree weather with freezing rain. I hope evryone gets their coins today and they are nice and dry because that is what really makes me happy is knowing what we do makes your day.

Stay warm, PGH, and hang in there, spring is on the way! Today when I walked around the house checking on some things I noticed that the tulips are starting to poke leaves up through the dead grass and that there is very little snow left.... If spring is coming this close to the arctic circle, it's getting close to you, too!

Cheer up, sunshiny days are coming soon!

In the mean time, here's a little virtual "warm ya up" after the end of your long day in the cold!

Coffee%20Lover.jpg

Creamy Irish Coffee

Ingredients

4 cups of fresh coffee

1 cup of whipping cream.

½ cup of Irish whiskey.

¼ cup of sugar.

2 tablespoons of Sugar.

2 tablespoons of Irish whiskey.

What’s next

In a saucepan, add 4 cups of strong fresh coffee, ½ cup of Irish whiskey and ¼ cup sugar. Heat up, but do not boil.

Whip 1 cup of whipping cream until it is light, then beat in 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of whiskey. Pour the coffee into coffee mugs and spoon the cream on top. Serve.

I think today is even worse. I get up and watch all the school closings and delays, but missed the USPS delay for the weather. Talk about Mother Nature pouring it on us. Well back to the grind in 20 degree weather with freezing rain. I hope evryone gets their coins today and they are nice and dry because that is what really makes me happy is knowing what we do makes your day.

My brother worked for the USPS for a few years, but he drove the Jeeps about. His wife is currently the postmaster in another city nearby...she could tell the tales!

You are much appreciated even if you don't get shown our appreciation very often!! Snow here today too, but it just gives me a reason to go out and Jeep about some!!!! :anibad: Thanks for the hard work, stay safe, warm and dry...especially safe!

What a long rough day today. The weather has been miserable for us who have to work outside in it. Few people realize what we go through in a day out there. We have been working long hours 6 days a week and spend our day off recouperating for the next work week.

Well today was about it. We all thought it was going to be an easy day till a few people called off sick and left us to pick up their work load. The mail has to be delivered. We are all at our wits end.

I came home about to lose it and needed to find a relief from the pain. I got out my coin albums and just started going through them and remember the joy they bring me. I even got some new ones in the mail. I got one today that was a complete gift and surprise. That brought me biggest amount of joy today. Thank you special friend for helping raise my happy meter just a little more.

It is amazing how much joy these can bring us.

??????? No comment. :anibad::D

Stay warm, PGH, and hang in there, spring is on the way! Today when I walked around the house checking on some things I noticed that the tulips are starting to poke leaves up through the dead grass and that there is very little snow left.... If spring is coming this close to the arctic circle, it's getting close to you, too!

Cheer up, sunshiny days are coming soon!

*snip*

We're working up to getting 6-10 inches of snow today :anibad:

It's true that geocoins make [me] you happy, also the logs who people for you [me] write make me happy.

Cointest gives me even a good feeling because the give me a feeling that i am on a beautiful cloud.

It takes me of reality and that feels :D good :D

Geocaching makes the world a better world :anibad: even it is for while.

Aw! That's even sadder... hang tough buddy, another coin is going out to you... and thank you for delivering those vital coins that keep us so happy here in the forums. :anibad: I can't believe that people have to go out in such dire conditions, yet they dutifully do everyday. I have never been a mailman, in fact I am snug in my office, (just thinking of going outside puts a chill down my spine, just had to turn up the thermostat a couple notches), but I live next to one so I can see first hand the daily trials he goes through. :D

Stress is a killer! Do your best to keep your mind at ease and try not to internalize too much, even when all hell is breaking loose around you. In the end it's still just a job. Family and friends are what count most, so don't jeopardize your health for the man. :anibad:

edited for typo

Edited by darnjoeSNARG

Wow...20 Degrees and freezing rain!

It must be getting deep! (But is it really white?)

Think about it...

:anibad:

Wow...20 Degrees and freezing rain!

It must be getting deep! (But is it really white?)

Think about it...

:D

:anibad:

I spent the day driving my mom around today...in and out of the car more times than I'd care to think about as we ran some errands. It was pretty miserable in this nasty weather. I felt pretty bad, until I thought of pghlooking. Just knowing that someone else had to be out in this foul weather more than I made me feel a little better about getting a little damp today. Tell ya what...I'll make sure I leave some coins for ya..."where summer never ends"...in room 266.

hang in there, pgh! this time of year is really rotten in this part of the country. I feel yer pain! been stuck in the house sick with one thing after another for over 2 weeks now. plus snow day so have to also be mom-on-duty when i'd rather be in bed. also was to go visit my dad in ohio who had surgery this morning but couldn't because of my hacking and the crappy roads. plus my darn geopooch is trying to chew his bandage off (had ACL surgery a couple weeks ago) and being a major pain. it all truly sux, but WILL get better!!! will send up prayers for you to feel better!!!

Pgh, I remember those days. ;) After 25 years of walking I finally got a mounted route so now only my arm gets frozen and the rest of me is just cold. But you know how good or vehicles go in the snow. We`ve been lucky we have had only a few bad storms this year so far but the cold, urggg!!! We have had a few weeks were the temps were -80 with the wind chill and most things are shut down around here but we have to go out. Warnings out that a few minutes will freeze exposed skin but our swings are 1/2 hour or longer and to get back to the vehicle with a heater that is equal in output of the cigarette lighter in it and we cant keep them running while away from them. I keep a drink next to the heater and a few days it was frozen. Ever see a rubber band frozen in its stretch-out shape? Just imagine your fingers and skin.

Hang in there fellow carrier.

Ok, I have to say something. Even though it may not make many friends. But hey, it is

only my opinion. We all choose the job that we have. We ALL have bad days and get stressed

out. So should I complain about being laid off in the winter months, going crazy with cabin fever?

No, I make the best of it. When I go back to work in the summer driving 22 wheeler weighing 80,000lbs

fully loaded, I think I'll post here about how stressed out I am driving that big rig around in traffic. Maybe

I'll complain about all the silly drivers out there who think they are invisible and can drive however the like!

But, I must say, coin or two in the mail would brighten my day. Lets see if it works!! I choose the job

I have because I love the challange and I really love to drive! That is my time to be at one with my

thoughts. Please do not think I am complaining about me job or life because I am NOT. It is what

I choose to do and I do what I love! That is also why I geocache. Having a few DNFs' is part of it to.

Nobody complains about having a few DNFs' Why? It is part of the game! Anyway, pghlooking, try

to go ice fishing, it always works to cure my blues! Hope you shake them soon! ;)

Uh thanks for the compasion? I bet you don't even shovel your steps do ya? Geez thanks for the support.

So now they are calling for more snow. UGH whens it going to stop? I should have finished one of the drawing things in those magazines and became a geocoin artist and sat in my warm room designing coins for people and knowing I was bringing joy to them. Even though I can't draw I guess I could always use clip art still, but it just doesn't feel right.

Thanks for the friendly words from all. I actually got a few coins in the mail and am so thankful to these great people. Words don't say enough about them.

Weather Report

Ok, I have to say something. Even though it may not make many friends. But hey, it is

only my opinion. We all choose the job that we have. We ALL have bad days and get stressed

out. So should I complain about being laid off in the winter months, going crazy with cabin fever?

No, I make the best of it. When I go back to work in the summer driving 22 wheeler weighing 80,000lbs

fully loaded, I think I'll post here about how stressed out I am driving that big rig around in traffic. Maybe

I'll complain about all the silly drivers out there who think they are invisible and can drive however the like!

But, I must say, coin or two in the mail would brighten my day. Lets see if it works!! I choose the job

I have because I love the challange and I really love to drive! That is my time to be at one with my

thoughts. Please do not think I am complaining about me job or life because I am NOT. It is what

I choose to do and I do what I love! That is also why I geocache. Having a few DNFs' is part of it to.

Nobody complains about having a few DNFs' Why? It is part of the game! Anyway, pghlooking, try

to go ice fishing, it always works to cure my blues! Hope you shake them soon! ;)

So tell us what you received so we can share in your joy of geocoin gifts.

Maybe we can even have a cointest and the person who sends you the most rare and generous coin gets a free coin for their efforts ;)

The coin that started my smiling was none other than a beer bottle opener that my good friend TMA sent me. What a great guy he is. He knew I was in the need of a drink to help relax a bit. Thanks Moop.

There have been some rumblings of some other things, but I haven't gotten them just yet. I will post some when they arrive.

02df3ef2-4282-4947-8dce-7c799c43c125.jpg

Ahhh shoot, you got me pghlooking, I do not shovel that much, just what I can not snow-blow!

Drive safe! Spring is just aroung the corner! ;)

You expected your mailman to go through that? Geez. AT least you have now come around to the positive thinking and actually decided to do your walk for your mailman. If this thread only serves to help one other carrier other than myself, then it is worth more than each of these coins I have and the ones on their way. Special thanks to AG who just sent me an email saying she was going to send me something special to help cheer me up. You are alright in my book.

Hey there guy- Cheer Up!! Spring is coming and you'll be out in the Sunshine and fresh air while the rest of us SAPS are stuck inside !

You might want to read the link on SAD. Although, all most of us Northerners already know ALL about it! The wife gets like this EVERY year around February (but she REFUSES to move- GO FIGURE).

This is my "compassionate" reply after pondering your post all day at work!

When I first read it this morning, b-4 going out and scraping the Ice and Snow off the van was: Too bad they didn't tell you what the job entailed before you took it! ;)

Anyhow, SAD is a proven Medical Condition and can only be cured by 2 weeks in Hawaii, streched out on a beach with a Pina Colada in one hand and a Garmin in the other. I would be Happy to accompany you to monitor your progress (all in the interest of science of course) ;)

Okay- I made up the cure part but HOW COULD IT HURT!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

I sent your package out this morning. I saw a cute little teddy bear in a postal outfit that reminded me of you. There's a very special geojelly for you too ;) BUT the best little gift I included was a beautiful book. It's full of words of wisdom, things to do when things aren't going right, how to be a winner everyday, and lots of stuff like that; it's called Yinz playbook for da Burgh Steelers. ;)

Hey there guy- Cheer Up!! Spring is coming and you'll be out in the Sunshine and fresh air while the rest of us SAPS are stuck inside !

You might want to read the link on SAD. Although, all most of us Northerners already know ALL about it! The wife gets like this EVERY year around February (but she REFUSES to move- GO FIGURE).

This is my "compassionate" reply after pondering your post all day at work!

When I first read it this morning, b-4 going out and scraping the Ice and Snow off the van was: Too bad they didn't tell you what the job entailed before you took it! ;)

Anyhow, SAD is a proven Medical Condition and can only be cured by 2 weeks in Hawaii, streched out on a beach with a Pina Colada in one hand and a Garmin in the other. I would be Happy to accompany you to monitor your progress (all in the interest of science of course) ;)

Okay- I made up the cure part but HOW COULD IT HURT!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Uggh the spring brings the rain. It is never ending!

I always saw the mailman sitting behind the local grocery store eating his 4 hour lunch and said that was for me. Now I find out I am carrying his 4 hours of mail so he can relax because he has senority.

I once saw one of those commercials about 3 am. You know the ones where they can lift a truck with some glue and pull a train with some putty. Well this one was on stones you heated and placed on your body to ease the aches and pains. They even put magnets on you as well to take the stress away. I have been wondering if coins might hold the same powers. I might try this tonight and see if they can help take some of the tension away. I know they make me smile by looking at them. But who knows. Maybe they can do more than what we know of them already.

I sent your package out this morning. I saw a cute little teddy bear in a postal outfit that reminded me of you. There's a very special geojelly for you too ;) BUT the best little gift I included was a beautiful book. It's full of words of wisdom, things to do when things aren't going right, how to be a winner everyday, and lots of stuff like that; it's called Yinz playbook for da Burgh Steelers. ;)

You are too kind. May ever coin shine in your eyes forever and never tarnish.

I have never seen that book before. I have been waiting for the Steelers Walk Through Pratice on DVD by the New England Patriots but am not sure when that comes out.

02df3ef2-4282-4947-8dce-7c799c43c125.jpg

Ahhh shoot, you got me pghlooking, I do not shovel that much, just what I can not snow-blow!

Drive safe! Spring is just aroung the corner! ;)

You expected your mailman to go through that? Geez. AT least you have now come around to the positive thinking and actually decided to do your walk for your mailman. If this thread only serves to help one other carrier other than myself, then it is worth more than each of these coins I have and the ones on their way. Special thanks to AG who just sent me an email saying she was going to send me something special to help cheer me up. You are alright in my book.

Who are you kidding? that is the postman. the mail will get through, right? ;)

Edited by zazth

That is not the postman. It is just me snowblowin. Although I do clean all the

snow from in front of the 3 mailboxes to make it some-what easier for the Postmen

and women to get to our boxes. ;) To deliver those coins and those bills in the winter

we all love to get!

Edited by dardevle

That is not the postman. It is just me snowblowin. Although I do clean all the

snow from in front of the 3 mailboxes to make it some-what easier for the Postmen

and women to get to our boxes. ;) To deliver those coins and those bills in the winter

we all love to get!

I had to take that jab. i work out in the great winter weather too. If you look, you'll find the funniest things, like postman making tracks in the snow alot. as for me it is just digging in the frozen ground while standing in the freezing rain. but i do feel for ya, pgh.

Edited by zazth

Well I hope that your spirits have been risen a little. I personally do the happy dance when the mailwoman comes and boy oh boy if a UPS/FedEx/DHL truck pulls up I'm like a kid on pixie stix and jolt soda!

Seriously though whats that white stuff in the picture ;) and will it be gone when I come to Geocoinfest in Oct? ;)

Oh and to keep this coin related...post some picts of your goodies. ;)

Well I tried heating the coins and placing them in various spots of aches and pains, but quickly found this is not the most recommended method of healing. I am now looking for a good burn sauve. Now the Worker of Wood with the magnet I do believe took aaway a migrane that I had since I placed it on my temple for 1 hour. I can't wait to get home tonight and see what new coins are arriving here from all the generous people showing me support in my time of need. Thank you thank you thank you.